NBA Players Vote on Coaches They Would Least Like to Play For

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
https://theathletic.com/909752/2019...best-and-worst-in-the-game/?source=dailyemail

11. Which coach, aside from your own, would you not want to play for?
(52 votes)
Tom Thibodeau (34.6%)
Jim Boylen (21.1%)
Igor Kokoskov (11.5%)
Nate McMillan (5.7%)
Stan Van Gundy (4.8%)
Gregg Popovich (3.8%)
Lloyd Pierce, Quin Snyder, Erik Spoelstra, Rick Carlisle, Nick Nurse, Alvin Gentry, Luke Walton, Steve Clifford, Scott Skiles (2%)
Jeff Van Gundy (1%)

OP
OP
Chris_Sanders

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So 6 out of 52 NBA players who answered this poll picked Kokoskov

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
So...of the current coaches who are not interim, Igor is the least popular. What a surprise...

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So 6 out of 52 NBA players who answered this poll picked Kokoskov

Did you see the actual wording of the question? Was it worded in such a way that someone might have been influenced by the possibility of dealing with Sarver too or did it specifically ask about him coaching the team the player was currently on? I'm just curious as I wouldn't have expected Koko to draw much interest for or against, not that 11% tells us much. And Scott Skiles at 2%, that's a huge surprise.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Did you see the actual wording of the question? Was it worded in such a way that someone might have been influenced by the possibility of dealing with Sarver too or did it specifically ask about him coaching the team the player was currently on? I'm just curious as I wouldn't have expected Koko to draw much interest for or against, not that 11% tells us much. And Scott Skiles at 2%, that's a huge surprise.
Popovich at 3.8% was a headscratcher for me as well.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Popovich at 3.8% was a headscratcher for me as well.

That one surprised me at first but after thinking about it, it makes sense. Pop strongly believes in team first and some players just can't get away from their ego so I could see some former players not wanting to do that again. But I'm also confident he'd be at or at least near the top of the list as the coach players would most like to suit up for.

OP
OP
Chris_Sanders

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The wording is in the line above.

It's a completely anonymous survey of NBA players

Side note Bridges got a single vote for best defender. No other Suns player mentioned in any other catagory

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The wording is in the line above.

It's a completely anonymous survey of NBA players

Side note Bridges got a single vote for best defender. No other Suns player mentioned in any other catagory

Yeah, I read it but I guess it didn't register. But if there is no other context provided, I suspect some must have considered the situation including the coaching. But as I say that, I'm quite sure that if everyone looked at the question that way, Koko would have likely ran away with that category.

OP
OP
Chris_Sanders

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I read it but I guess it didn't register. But if there is no other context provided, I suspect some must have considered the situation including the coaching. But as I say that, I'm quite sure that if everyone looked at the question that way, Koko would have likely ran away with that category.

You are correct that there could be factors built into that bias by nature of if you play for Kokoskov, you are playing for Sarver, on a losing team, with no PG, and too many rookies.

Bobster

All Star
Reaction score
You are correct that there could be factors built into that bias by nature of if you play for Kokoskov, you are playing for Sarver, on a losing team, with no PG, and too many rookies.

Or players just might not think he's a good coach.

We don't know.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Chris_Sanders said:

We don't know.
Or, even worse, both.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

We don't know.

Sure but I think I've got a pretty good idea about it. I watch most of the stupid NBA shows and to my knowledge the talking heads including former players ALL, to a person, support Koko and insist that he's been dealt an impossible hand. And then there's players and coaches that have played or worked with him and they all rave about him. The closest we get to a Koko supporter on this forum is a handful of "undecideds", myself included, but the national narrative is pro Koko and puts all the blame on our front office.

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
Great climate, nice facilities, nice tradition AND an “owner” who will mismanage the entire organization while collecting money. Sarver is Clippers 1980s-90s level bad. The Suns just have a decent tradition and aren’t playing in the Great Western Forum while competing with the Showtime Lakers.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great climate, nice facilities, nice tradition AND an “owner” who will mismanage the entire organization while collecting money. Sarver is Clippers 1980s-90s level bad. The Suns just have a decent tradition and aren’t playing in the Great Western Forum while competing with the Showtime Lakers.

Not so. A minor point but from what I've read of late, we have some of the worst facilities. And go back and look at the Clippers record during that period, he makes Sarver look competent - and Sarver, so far, has not been competent. But Sterling has always been a classless piece of trash, comparing anyone to him is unjustified IMO.

Sterling bought the franchise in 81 and from there until 91 they had win totals of 17,25,30,31,32,12,17,21,30 and 31. Then, following a couple of seasons in the 40+ win territory they went on another abysmal stretch of 27, 17, 29, 36, 17, 9, 15, 31, 39, 27, 28, 37. They did this despite having an awful lot of very high draft picks, far better draft luck than we've experienced EVER.

During Sarver's tenure we've won at a rate of 62, 54, 61, 55, 46, 54, 40, 33, 25, 48, 39, 23, 23, 24, 21, 19. You could ignore the first 11 years and make a case that we've been Clipper like for the past 5 seasons but we'd need to continue at a similar pace for more than another 15 years to approach the dismal past of Sterling's Clippers. And that still wouldn't make Sarver a racist, misogynistic, slumlord - unless you know something we don't.

Last edited:

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
Not so. A minor point but from what I've read of late, we have some of the worst facilities. And go back and look at the Clippers record during that period, he makes Sarver look competent - and Sarver, so far, has not been competent. But Sterling has always been a classless piece of trash, comparing anyone to him is unjustified IMO.

Sterling bought the franchise in 81 and from there until 91 they had win totals of 17,25,30,31,32,12,17,21,30 and 31. Then, following a couple of seasons in the 40+ win territory they went on another abysmal stretch of 27, 17, 29, 36, 17, 9, 15, 31, 39, 27, 28, 37. They did this despite having an awful lot of very high draft picks, far better draft luck than we've experienced EVER.

During Sarver's tenure we've won at a rate of 62, 54, 61, 55, 46, 54, 40, 33, 25, 48, 39, 23, 23, 24, 21, 19. You could ignore the first 11 years and make a case that we've been Clipper like for the past 5 seasons but we'd need to continue at a similar pace for more than another 15 years to approach the dismal past of Sterling's Clippers. And that still wouldn't make Sarver a racist, misogynist, slumlord - unless you know something we don't.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/new...illion-suns-arena-renovation-deal/2648687002/

Your tax dollars at work

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Ok, they have been given money to improve the facilities because they fell so far below the normal standard for NBA teams. They've been terrible for years, which is why they're now getting tax money to upgrade things, so saying we've had great facilities is false. If we did then we wouldn't be paying to install quality facilities now.
They were so poor that Ariza regretted signing with the team the moment he saw the facilities. A big part of signing free agents is offering at least competitive ammenities to other NBA teams and the Suns were well below standards in that regard.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score