NBA Free Agency and Trades 2022

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not thrilled with the thought of Crowder OR Saric as our Power Forward.
I'm hoping Cam J comes back from the break about 4 inches taller with 40lbs of muscle.

If Crowder were the backup power forward, I'd be a lot happier. Saric is a situational power forward at best. He doesn't have the quickness to play there regularly.

I'm hoping the Suns make a trade that improves the depth at power forward and point guard.

I've seen some recent video of Cam Johnson, so I think we are going to have to accept a version closer to last season.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I might be thinking about this the wrong way, but Saric could work as a PF- you just have to have Ayton guard the opposing stretch big man. I obviously think this is not a great move due to having our best rebounder play away from the basket, but Ayton covers a lot of Dario's weaknesses. I do agree that neither Dario not Crowder are the ideal starting four, but Dario does give you something that the Suns didn't have last year- big man who can shoot from the outside, but at the same time hold his own against actual centers. My biggest concern is that the teams will throw him into their pick and roll on every play and force some switches That can probably be covered to some degree, though.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I might be thinking about this the wrong way, but Saric could work as a PF- you just have to have Ayton guard the opposing stretch big man. I obviously think this is not a great move due to having our best rebounder play away from the basket, but Ayton covers a lot of Dario's weaknesses. I do agree that neither Dario not Crowder are the ideal starting four, but Dario does give you something that the Suns didn't have last year- big man who can shoot from the outside, but at the same time hold his own against actual centers. My biggest concern is that the teams will throw him into their pick and roll on every play and force some switches That can probably be covered to some degree, though.
I mentioned earlier that Dario could survive at the 4 better if DA was out there with him, which would usually mean he'd be starting. But even alongside Ayton, Saric would need to be the trimmed down version we saw in the bubble to avoid getting eaten alive. And obviously that's assuming his injury didn't eat into what little speed and athleticism he has.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
If Ayton guards the stretch big then there is literally ZERO rim protection.

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Cam J and some picks next to traded for a quality PF....I almost want that more than KD

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kent Bazemore signs a 1 year deal with the Kings.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Cam J and some picks next to traded for a quality PF....I almost want that more than KD

I'm curious as to who you'd go after... because Cam Johnson is better than a ton of starters in the league.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm curious as to who you'd go after... because Cam Johnson is better than a ton of starters in the league.
In a league where the 3 point shot is paramount above all else, he’s also the only great 3 point shooter we have.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
In a league where the 3 point shot is paramount above all else, he’s also the only great 3 point shooter we have.

Yeah, he shot the 4th best from 3 in the league last year. He was playing at a really high level prior to his injury. That Knicks game was probably my favorite game of the season.

He isn't untradeable but if we let him go it would have to be for something high end, not merely a solid PF. I also think he'd be perfectly capable in the roll himself. He is a plus defender, especially on the wing. His only deficiency is on the glass but he got quite a bit better there last year and hopefully there is more room for him to grow and if more of his minutes were at the 4 I think his rebounding would kick up a bit by nature.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'd be looking for a backup power forward more than a starter.

I could be happy with Cam Johnson starting with Jae Crowder coming off the bench. However, if the Suns trade Jae, I'd be looking for a backup power forward such as Jarred Vanderbilt.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'd be looking for a backup power forward more than a starter.

I could be happy with Cam Johnson starting with Jae Crowder coming off the bench. However, if the Suns trade Jae, I'd be looking for a backup power forward such as Jarred Vanderbilt.

I don't see any reason the Jazz would be trading Vanderbilt. He is young and on a cheap deal, the exact kind of player they want while they rebuild.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jarred Vanderbilt was one of the centerpieces of the Gobert deal. There's no reason for Utah to deal him. He's young and cheap and he's likely to be better than anyone they could draft in the late 1st where a Suns pick would fall.

I know he was a 2nd round pick initially but he's proven he can play at an NBA level. That isn't a sure thing with late 1st round selections.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
OR keep Cam J and use Chowder as trade bait instead.
Cam may not have a lot of surprises left in his bag but I'd like him to be around to see them all.
And that kid improves every time we see him, plus he's one of the FEW we took a chance on and developed in house.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't see any reason the Jazz would be trading Vanderbilt. He is young and on a cheap deal, the exact kind of player they want while they rebuild.

It never hurts to ask.

I liked Vanderbilt when he was a RFA with the Timberwolves last summer. He was signed for a very low salary, indicating he wasn't in high demand at the time.

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I love Cam J
Just think we need a banger with some rim action and Mikal and him are our only really good assets. I know the 3 is paramount but have to have the inside presence

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I love Cam J
Just think we need a banger with some rim action and Mikal and him are our only really good assets. I know the 3 is paramount but have to have the inside presence

We have an inside presence.

You neither need nor want 2 interior players in the court at the same time in the modern NBA.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I like that kid on the Magic, Moritz Wagner. He's mobile and has length, also has decent shooting percentages except from 3 (ok considering his size) but has a nice stroke. Salary is pretty good too.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Willie Cauley-Stein agrees to a 1-year deal with the Rockets.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He's fallen off fast

I think it is more of a situation where he was the lone interior guy on some terrible teams... someone is going to get those easy boards and empty space baskets... it happened to be him.

I expect the Mavericks to discover the same thing about Christian Wood.