NBA Free Agency and Trades 2022

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think he will go back to being average with the Trail Blazers. The Warriors had a lot to do with elevating his value.

Yeah the Warriors were the perfect role for him but I don't fault him for taking the Portland offer. Bay area fans are pissed off but nobody is blaming Gary. Warriors world almost everyone is mad at the owner but then most of them don't seem to grasp the luxury tax. Not a surprise nobody seems sure. I've seen the 5x figure that LIAC posted but NBC says it's actually 7x

"The Warriors, according to sources, countered with an offer at the taxpayer mid-level exception, roughly $6.4 million. Because Golden State is deep into the repeater tax, every dollar over the cap is multiplied by seven."

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
If we win one championship, just ONE, then it absolutely is worth it.
I agree. 100%. We really need to try to trim the draft compensation though because historically this doesn't end well for us. That's all I'm saying.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I agree. 100%. We really need to try to trim the draft compensation though because historically this doesn't end well for us. That's all I'm saying.
Recent history shows that drafting isn't this franchise's greatest strength, so there's that...

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah the Warriors were the perfect role for him but I don't fault him for taking the Portland offer. Bay area fans are pissed off but nobody is blaming Gary. Warriors world almost everyone is mad at the owner but then most of them don't seem to grasp the luxury tax. Not a surprise nobody seems sure. I've seen the 5x figure that LIAC posted but NBC says it's actually 7x

"The Warriors, according to sources, countered with an offer at the taxpayer mid-level exception, roughly $6.4 million. Because Golden State is deep into the repeater tax, every dollar over the cap is multiplied by seven."

It's sort of like JaVale McGee moving on. Gotta get the money while you can. He is 29.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
CP isn't costing us our draft rights for the better part of the next decade.
No, but you did say you don't want to deal with players that have playoff breakdowns due to age.

I think you're putting too much faith in our draft picks.

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
No, but you did say you don't want to deal with players that have playoff breakdowns due to age.

I think you're putting too much faith in our draft picks.
Chap, I'm not sure what you're referring to.

Draft picks aren't just for drafting.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I really think that is a big mistake.

I hate Goberts game. I know Towns is mobile, but the two of them on the court at the same time I don't think will work.

However it could be a real nightmare for the Suns given our current center situation.

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
KD is younger too. I really have no doubt he still has at least 2 really good years left in him.
One, CP is an outlier.

Two, you're talking about giving up our draft rights for the next 7 years, for two years of high end play from Kevin durant.

Will CP be playing well in two years? I'd say probably not.

So we're giving up our draft for the next 7 years, for a title window of 1 year? If CP isn't already shot?

Is this wise?

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Wow, wasn't ATL or some other team rumored to be offering a much better deal for Gobert than what they got from MIN? MIN didn't even have to throw in one of their Big 3. Fit with KAT will be interesting but KAT prefers to roam the perimeter than bang with the big boys.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I think that’s a great trade for Minny. They didn’t have to give up DLO, AntMan or KAT.

KAT gets to roam the perimeter and Gobert can man the middle. I think Utah screwed Rudy over the way they used him.