NBA Free Agency and Trades 2022

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't get the fascination with bringing back players. If it's for the minimum then fine but spending basically all of free agent funds on Stix would have been a mistake. I'm saying that even if he would be our starting Center.

He looked decent in Indiana, a team that was going nowhere and had little else in terms of talent. He's worth about what he's getting from them but that's it.

I was also against declining his option. I thought that was short sighted, cheap, and all around stupid but you don't correct a mistake like that by resigning him for even more money just 4 months after trading him away.

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Well, it depends. If your plan is to tank in three years then it is not wise. If you plan to do things via free agency and trades, then it probably doesn't matter.
We wouldn't have any assets to trade. We wouldn't be able to sign free agents besides mid level exception and veteran minimum deals because we'd be over the cap.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
GEEZ! We could have beat that. I'd feel much better with him and Bizzy to step up in Ayton's place.

There was never a chance in heck that he was going to come back. We gave up on him after his rookie year... tore up his deal and basically announced to the league that we considered him a monumental bust.

Zero shot we were going to sign him.

We shouldn't have declined his option in the first place but once we did it was over.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
We won't have any assets to trade. We won't be able to sign free agents besides mid level exception and veteran minimum deals because we'll be over the cap.
It is not that simple. CP3 only has one year fully guaranteed. Bridges actually has a really great contract, cap is going to go up significantly in a couple of years when the TV deal kicks in. There are ways to sign players.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Not a bad signing, assuming it's a minimum signing. Roster is going to be gutted if the KD trade happens, so they'll need all the help they can get.

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It is not that simple. CP3 only has one year fully guaranteed. Bridges actually has a really great contract, cap is going to go up significantly in a couple of years when the TV deal kicks in. There are ways to sign players.
It is that simple.

The salary cap will rise 10 million next year, from 112 mil this past season to 122 mil. That's about a 9% rise. Let's say the cap rises another 10% for the 23'-24' season, making it 134 million.

CP's partial guarantee is 16 mil for the 23'-24' season. Kevin Durant makes 46 million that year. Devin Booker makes 36 million that year. Even if you cut CP3 prior to the season so you don't have to pay his full salary, that's 98 million allotted for essentially two players, leaving 36 million for the rest of your roster. Say we still have Mikal who makes 22 million that year, leaving us 12 million for the rest of the roster.

Let's say the cap goes up another 10% for the 24'-25' season, making it 147 million. Paul is no longer on the books. Yippee, let's go shopping right. Think again. That's the year Book's super max kicks in. He's set to make 48 million dollars. KD makes 50 million. That's 98 million allotted to those two players, leaving 49 million for the rest of the roster. If we have mikal, that leaves 26 million for the rest of the roster.

So, other than mid level exception and vet minimum deals, tell me these ways we'll be able to sign players...

BTW the new TV deal won't kick in until the 25'-26' season. KD will be 37 and on the last year of his deal. We won't have the rights to our first round draft picks for another 3 years. Sound like the recipe for success?

Last edited:

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
PHX will have to make sure to keep its 2nd round picks and find guys that late in draft who can make the roster or UDFA's. This is kind of the same situation the Lakers are in, they won their title and now are in salary cap hell and have no picks. Their problem is AD can't stay healthy and that awful trade for Westbrook that gutted their depth, otherwise they would still be dangerous.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It is that simple.

The salary cap will rise 10 million next year, from 112 mil this past season to 122 mil. That's about a 9% rise. Let's say the cap rises another 10% for the 23'-24' season, making it 134 million.

CP's partial guarantee is 16 mil for the 23'-24' season. Kevin Durant makes 46 million that year. Devin Booker makes 36 million that year. Even if you cut CP3 prior to the season so you don't have to pay his full salary, that's 98 million allotted for essentially two players, leaving 36 million for the rest of your roster. Say we still have Mikal who makes 22 million that year, leaving us 12 million for the rest of the roster.

Let's say the cap goes up another 10% for the 24'-25' season, making it 147 million. Paul is no longer on the books. Yippee, let's go shopping right. Think again. That's the year Book's super max kicks in. He's set to make 48 million dollars. KD makes 50 million. That's 98 million allotted to those two players, leaving 49 million for the rest of the roster. If we have mikal, that leaves 26 million for the rest of the roster.

So, other than mid level exception and vet minimum deals, tell me these ways we'll be able to sign players...

BTW the new TV deal won't kick in until the 25'-26' season. KD will be 37 and on the last year of his deal. We won't have the rights to our first round draft picks for another 3 years. Sound like the recipe for success?
It is if ownership is willing to pay the tax and Mikal is still on the team.

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It is if ownership is willing to pay the tax and Mikal is still on the team.
No. The point I am trying to make is we won't be able to make any moves. We won't have any draft picks to make trades. We won't have cap space to sign free agents. It will be Durant, Book, Mikal, and fill in the blank mid level exception/vet minimum guys.

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
No. The point I am trying to make is we won't be able to make any moves. We won't have any draft picks to make trades. We won't have cap space to sign free agents. It will be Durant, Book, Mikal, and fill in the blank mid level exception/vet minimum guys.
And if it brings a championship? Sign my azz up!

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah, I am aware.

We are committing to a Book, Mikal and Durant core, with a bunch of min guys.

I still think that can work. Replacing CP3 going to be tough though.

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I have to admire the Spurs. I understood they were committing to a full rebuild, but it's a little bit sneakier than that. They're going to be loaded with talent, assets, and A LOT of cap space when the new tv deal kicks in. Likewise the other teams following this model. If we pull the trigger on the max draft compensation Durant deal, we will be in the opposite position. Ok, that's the last rain I'm pouring on this parade. Let the cards fall where they may.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I have to admire the Spurs. I understood they were committing to a full rebuild, but it's a little bit sneakier than that. They're going to be loaded with talent, assets, and A LOT of cap space when the new tv deal kicks in. Likewise the other teams following this model. If we pull the trigger on the max draft compensation Durant deal, we will be in the opposite position. Ok, that's the last rain I'm pouring on this parade. Let the cards fall where they may.

I don't think they had a choice, they were floundering and no one wants to play there.

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I don't think they had a choice, they were floundering and no one wants to play there.
True, but lots of teams strike out in free agency. They had a 25 year old all-star on a nice contract. I think a few organizations might choose to continue building around that.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
True, but lots of teams strike out in free agency. They had a 25 year old all-star on a nice contract. I think a few organizations might choose to continue building around that.

Murray wouldn't sign an extension there. They traded him before word got out and his value went down. They did the right thing, avoiding a Kawhi sort of situation.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Murray wouldn't sign an extension there. They traded him before word got out and his value went down. They did the right thing, avoiding a Kawhi sort of situation.
Agreed. Plus there's the added bonus of ridding your team of a player represented by Klutch Sports.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Darius Garland gets a huge contract extension.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here are the best remaining free agents.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson