NBA Free Agency and Trades 2022

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It was for the Knicks to lose out on Donovan Mitchell yet somehow they did.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Sounds like Utah didn’t like dealing with NY. They didn’t like NY had been tampering with Mitchell

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Bojan is more of a sf than a pf. In order to make salaries match you have to trade Jae and one of Shamet or Saric. If you trade Jae and Saric, it makes us really thin for pf's (as in no real pf on the roster), if you trade Jae and Shamet, we are thin at guard (no real back up sg).

With the needs of this team, it would make much more sense to trade for Clarkson. He can create his own shot, is more of a combo guard, and his salary is easier to match. Shamet, Craig and a pick for Clarkson makes this team better and more dangerous.
Disagree.

Shamet is not a player I care about losing. I really think Damien Lee and Duane Washington can take his minutes and we won't even notice a drop off.

I would rather get Bogdanovich.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Sounds like Utah didn’t like dealing with NY. They didn’t like NY had been tampering with Mitchell
Hmm, well that is a pretty compareable deal. I actually kind of like that the Knicks will continue to suck, I kind of love knocking down New Yorkers superiority complex.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I haven't looked at his game closely, but everyone so far except you has said his defense is bad. So you have some 'splainin' to do.

Honestly, I haven't looked at the stats, but from what I remember, he was just fine on the perimeter. He is a European white guy in his 30s, so he's not going to compete with Bridges and Smart for the defensive player of the year, but he is not terrible. I'd put him somewhere around Nader or Craig level of defense. From his own team last year, I'd say that he was worse than O'Neal, Ingles, and right up there with guys like Mitchel, Rudy Gay, etc.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Bojan is more of a sf than a pf. In order to make salaries match you have to trade Jae and one of Shamet or Saric. If you trade Jae and Saric, it makes us really thin for pf's (as in no real pf on the roster), if you trade Jae and Shamet, we are thin at guard (no real back up sg).

With the needs of this team, it would make much more sense to trade for Clarkson. He can create his own shot, is more of a combo guard, and his salary is easier to match. Shamet, Craig and a pick for Clarkson makes this team better and more dangerous.

I agree with that. After looking at the financials of a Bojan deal, I think its really hard to pull off as it would require too many Suns players or it would need to be a 3+ team deal. Should aim for Clarkson instead.

Last edited:

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's not just about losing Jae though. We also lost McGee. Losing both of them is a pretty big hit defensively and you are losing a ton of toughness. That toughness factor is an X-factor IMO. It's something the Suns teams have lacked for a very long time. Jae and McGee have that edge you can't teach. It's going to be missed if we lose both.

I don't think we lose much toughness going from JaVale to Biyombo. Biz is smaller but just as capable as a backup.

Losing Jae would hurt from a toughness standpoint but I don't see it hurting that much if they can find a quality replacement like Bojan who is also a veteran.

Everyone will need to step up, they aren't just youngsters anymore. Easier said than done but it's time to see what they have in them now that they're getting paid as veterans themselves.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Bojan is a reliable three-point shooter. Without checking the stats, I'd say he would be the second-best shooter on the team, behind only Cam Johnson. Also, he is not bad defensively. He actually plays pretty good defense, but he is even smaller than Crowder.
I do like Bojans game and With Booker CP3 and DA on the floor Bojan could have his best shooting season. He doesn't need much room to get a shot off.
He's 33 tho, we would have to make another Big move to be sure we get this Chip now. Or why bother

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Honestly, I haven't looked at the stats, but from what I remember, he was just fine on the perimeter. He is a European white guy in his 30s, so he's not going to compete with Bridges and Smart for the defensive player of the year, but he is not terrible. I'd put him somewhere around Nader or Craig level of defense. From his own team last year, I'd say that he was worse than O'Neal, Ingles, and right up there with guys like Mitchel, Rudy Gay, etc.
He was a negative 1.6 Defensive Box +- last year, which is not very good.

As a comparision Crowder was a positive 2.4 and Cam Johnson was a positive 0.7

Booker was a -1.4 DB+- in 2020-21 if you are looking for a comparable Suns defender.

However Jae Crowder was a -1.3 Offensive Box +- last year while Bogdanovich was a positive 1.6 and for overall Value over replacement player - a replacement player basically means an average NBA player is a 0.0 - Bogdonavich was a 1.1 and Crowder a 1.5 last year.

Last year was staistically by far Crowders best defensive season however as most seasons he has a Defensive Box +- around 0.9

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I don't think we lose much toughness going from JaVale to Biyombo. Biz is smaller but just as capable as a backup.

Losing Jae would hurt from a toughness standpoint but I don't see it hurting that much if they can find a quality replacement like Bojan who is also a veteran.

Everyone will need to step up, they aren't just youngsters anymore. Easier said than done but it's time to see what they have in them now that they're getting paid as veterans themselves.
Maybe Jock Landale will step up his game. To be honest most of the things I liked about Javale didn't even happen on the court.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Maybe Jock Landale will step up his game. To be honest most of the things I liked about Javale didn't even happen on the court.
I really did not like Javales man defense very much, he was pretty useless when he tried to guard Giannis for instance.

We will miss his rebounding and shot blocking but I don't think he is a huge loss really.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Did you overlook where I said it would take too many Suns players? That's 2 rotation players and a 3rd string player. That means we'd have to dig.through the pile of has-beens and never-weres to find at least 1 competent PF still and probably another 3rd string Center.

I'm not even sure if Jock can be traded because of when he was acquired. There's a waiting period to trade a player again when they're included in a package deal like that.

I'd prefer the attention moves to Clarkson, who fills the need of backup combo guard that can create for themselves, other, and fill it up in a hurry.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

But we are not going from JaVale to Biyombo. We are going from JaVale and Biyombo to just Biyombo. Plus, I don't put Biyombo in the same category as JaVale when it comes to toughness.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
But we are not going from JaVale to Biyombo. We are going from JaVale and Biyombo to just Biyombo. Plus, I don't put Biyombo in the same category as JaVale when it comes to toughness.
I have a feeling Landale becomes the primary backup.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

You're ignoring Jock as well as Dario. I'm not concerned with 3rd string Center. In fact I believe we're stronger in that department than we were because we have a mix of Centers now with different strengths that allow us to pick and choose who to use behind Ayton as the matchup dictates.

Biyombo may not post the same numbers as JaVale but I like him more as far as what he brings to the table and how he's better when pulled from the basket. He's a good rebounder also. I know he lacks height but he's strong as an ox and won't be bullied around.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
bingo.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You're ignoring Jock as well as Dario. I'm not concerned with 3rd string Center. In fact I believe we're stronger in that department than we were because we have a mix of Centers now with different strengths that allow us to pick and choose who to use behind Ayton as the matchup dictates.

Biyombo may not post the same numbers as JaVale but I like him more as far as what he brings to the table and how he's better when pulled from the basket. He's a good rebounder also. I know he lacks height but he's strong as an ox and won't be bullied around.
come on dude. did you really just write that? we are smaller and less athletic up front now. that was our bugaboo in 2021 and it appears as if may be again.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I really did not like Javales man defense very much, he was pretty useless when he tried to guard Giannis for instance.

We will miss his rebounding and shot blocking but I don't think he is a huge loss really.

Agreed. Defensively he was a good in some situations, terrible in others. Against teams that could spread the court and force him away from the basket he was useless.

If we lose Jae along with McGee this team will be lacking an enforcer type player though.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the Suns traded for Bojan Bogdanovic, I view it mostly as a temporary fix.

It's a way to dump a salary like Craig or Shamet along with Crowder. Bojan is a better shooter and that is about it.

The Suns still have the MLE and can add veteran minimum contracts.

Also, I believe Bojan can still be traded again at the trade deadline. The Suns need to keep their first round picks for future moves.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Did you overlook where I said it would take too many Suns players? That's 2 rotation players and a 3rd string player. That means we'd have to dig.through the pile of has-beens and never-weres to find at least 1 competent PF still and probably another 3rd string Center.

I'm not even sure if Jock can be traded because of when he was acquired. There's a waiting period to trade a player again when they're included in a package deal like that.

I'd prefer the attention moves to Clarkson, who fills the need of backup combo guard that can create for themselves, other, and fill it up in a hurry.
Where are you seeing two rotation players?

Craig was 11th in playoff minutes last year and Londale averaged 10 mpg for a mediocre Spurs team. Neither of those guys are anything.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score

I am really not. First off Dario is a terrible defender and has no lateral quickness. He isn't going to replace Jae or McGee in that regard. He also isn't as tough. His biggest asset is offense. Where is that defense and toughness replaced if Jae goes too? Biyombo is going to play more minutes but that doesn't equate to losing Jae and McGee.

In terms of Jock? He is nothing more than a roster filler in the event that someone gets hurts or gets into foul trouble. To say we are stronger in that regard is nuts IMO. There is a reason the Suns are looking for another PF to add to the team. If they felt we were better they wouldn't be trying to get another FC player.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Craig was 11th in playoff minutes last year and Londale averaged 10 mpg for a mediocre Spurs team. Neither of those guys are anything.

I didn't realize Craig saw that few minutes in the playoffs. He was in the rotation more during the season. He is who I considered a rotation player in addition to Jae.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I am really not. First off Dario is a terrible defender and has no lateral quickness. He isn't going to replace Jae or McGee in that regard. He also isn't as tough. His biggest asset is offense. Where is that defense and toughness replaced if Jae goes too? Biyombo is going to play more minutes but that doesn't equate to losing Jae and McGee.

In terms of Jock? He is nothing more than a roster filler in the event that someone gets hurts or gets into foul trouble. To say we are stronger in that regard is nuts IMO. There is a reason the Suns are looking for another PF to add to the team. If they felt we were better they wouldn't be trying to get another FC player.

We're smaller but I really don't believe we'll see a significant drop off from last years backup Centers. I could be wrong but I really don't see it. I think we're more versatile than last year which will help make up for the production we got from Javale. So in some games against some opponents where we dominated or had an advantage last year we may not be as strong but against others where we were weaker we'll be better. Ultimately it'll even out. How that bodes for the postseason depends on who we match up with. We won't lose much by losing McGee as he sucked last postseason.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
We're smaller but I really don't believe we'll see a significant drop off from last years backup Centers. I could be wrong but I really don't see it. I think we're more versatile than last year which will help make up for the production we got from Javale. So in some games against some opponents where we dominated or had an advantage last year we may not be as strong but against others where we were weaker we'll be better. Ultimately it'll even out. How that bodes for the postseason depends on who we match up with. We won't lose much by losing McGee as he sucked last postseason.
Huh?! McGee was a major reason our defense massively improved. He is a reason we were respected upfront. Almost universally across the league they called the Suns JaVale acquisition a reason we were so deep.

Nobody is saying that now because we got Jock and moved Biyombo into the starting lineup. You can’t be more versatile with less defense.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Exactly. Jock couldn’t get time on that team but we should consider him a regular rotation player to fill in for Jae and McGee?!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson