Navarre starting next week

LVCARDFREAK

In the league 20 years!
Reaction score
Ouchie-Z-Clown said:
"reckless?!?" why? what's at stake? what has denny got to lose? we're not going to the playoffs this year. our other two qbs suck balls. 3 games is not enough time to evaluate (we saw that with mccown last year), so you don't want to wait too long to throw navarre in. why not see if we have something there? if he sucks too, then we KNOW we have to do something else in the offseason. i love this move.

Ouchie, this team is every bit a playoff contender and could conceivably make it to the NFC Championship game. Putting in Navarre right now kills out chances of not only winning the division, but the Super Bowl as well.

McCown is the answer.....

:rolleyes:

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
conraddobler said:
right at the end of the tunnel he bailed on him

before i ridicule this comment, do you want to explain it? is that the world famous 90-yards tunnel located in bisbee? (okay, so i didn't wait to ridicule)

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
Ouchie-Z-Clown said:
"reckless?!?" why? what's at stake? what has denny got to lose? we're not going to the playoffs this year. our other two qbs suck balls. 3 games is not enough time to evaluate (we saw that with mccown last year), so you don't want to wait too long to throw navarre in. why not see if we have something there? if he sucks too, then we KNOW we have to do something else in the offseason. i love this move.

You know I am beggining to like this more and more. It's growing on me.

I never imagined it would get all the way down to Navarre and mostly my Josh love has been more anti-King. I was afraid DG was just locking in on King for some weird reason and personally I was horrified when we signed King in the first place.

Once I figured out DG will do whatever it takes to win and at least won't stay with a losing hand I'm fine with it.

Next batter up... This is fun.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lex said:
Denny started the news conference off with this news, it wasn't a question, it was an announcement.

Then he talked about how he personally had been coaching Navarre on the scout team. He's also talked recently about how he asked Navarre why all these Michigan QB's are so underrated, and brought up Brady.

This is a by-the-book, Denny's ego type move. He thinks that Navarre has invaluable experience playing in front of 100,000 fans, and the media scrutiny that comes with being the QB for the Wolverines.

I like it.

Never mind that those other Michigan QB's were all GOOD in college, and those 100K fans cheered for them. While Navarre was bad before his senior year, and hated by the fans. The common reason was "who cares how many TD's he gets against Central Michigan, just once do it against Ohio State."

He finally had a reasonable game against them as a senior. He does some things well, he's big, he's VERY smart, throws a nice deep ball. Just held the ball way too long in college, it's ok when you play behind a great OL and the other team gets nowhere near you, but he showed in the games where he faced a rush that he just had no feel for the pass rush USC made him look awful in the Rose Bowl.

Navarre has a chance but I'd be amazed if he were ready to play now. He played a lot in college but scout team to first team is a huge jump.

I just hope Denny doesn't damage the kid's psyche with this experiment.

Gotta hand it to you Lex, you said you were giving Green a free pass and you are. I just think this is a major reach, are we really supposed to believe in the last 2 weeks Green was convinced by Navarre running the scout team that he's for real?

titan

i hate the farm
Reaction score
i think he gave josh his shot and josh just didn't produce. i think it started after the ATL game than he became to consivative (sp). enter sean king, i think denny was expecting a lot more from him. now enter navarre, i am glad that they are trying something different, out of the box. besides this is dennys first year and we are NOT a playoff team. YET. time to evaluate our players. jmo

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
This is a stretch to say the least if Green thinks he gives us the best chance to win, but I'm not in complete disagreement with it. I've been consistent with my skepticism regarding John Navarre in the face of "he played well in the preseason" rationale, but at this point it's worth a try only because our other QBs clearly do not have what it takes. Navarre falling on his face right after McCown and King did the same will only help in making the Bidwills and Graves realize the necessity in getting a legitimate QB. Croom and Navarre? It's going to get ugly unless Navarre sacks up and pays the fans back in Michigan for four years of being publicly heckled and booed as their collegiate QB.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
Never mind that those other Michigan QB's were all GOOD in college, and those 100K fans cheered for them. While Navarre was bad before his senior year, and hated by the fans. The common reason was "who cares how many TD's he gets against Central Michigan, just once do it against Ohio State."

He finally had a reasonable game against them as a senior. He does some things well, he's big, he's VERY smart, throws a nice deep ball. Just held the ball way too long in college, it's ok when you play behind a great OL and the other team gets nowhere near you, but he showed in the games where he faced a rush that he just had no feel for the pass rush USC made him look awful in the Rose Bowl.

Navarre has a chance but I'd be amazed if he were ready to play now. He played a lot in college but scout team to first team is a huge jump.

I just hope Denny doesn't damage the kid's psyche with this experiment.

Gotta hand it to you Lex, you said you were giving Green a free pass and you are. I just think this is a major reach, are we really supposed to believe in the last 2 weeks Green was convinced by Navarre running the scout team that he's for real?

Russ I am almost on board with this now, in fact it's the most amazing set of coaching nads I have seen in years.

Honestly does anyone really care about Navarre's psyche? He's a 7th round pick who is getting a shot.

To me he better take it when he can. What would have happend if Bledsoe never gets hurt and Brady never played that year?

When your QB's are as bad as ours have been then you have little to lose.

The fact DG is doing this with a million $ bonus on the line means he has one big ego and it also means he's thinking long term. He can't really believe Navarre is his best shot and if he does.... wow he really thinks the other two stink.

Maybe the team tanks on this or maybe he is keeping them so curious they keep playing a game or two more. It's strange to say the least but it's not boring.

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:
Navarre falling on his face right after McCown and King did the same will only help in making the Bidwills and Graves realize the necessity in getting a legitimate QB.
Interesting. Very interesting.

Reddog

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
If you look at the D and how hard they have played only to have zero offence show up I don't think they will be discouraged with this change. If anything they will have one more week of hope and it will reaffirm Green's commitment to avoid the status quo.

One thing fis or sure, by the end of this season no one will be wondering where we stand in relation to a QB the way we have in the past. Green will have taken one year to evaluate the QBs on this team and one two or three of them will not be here next year. I find confidence in decisiveness and maintain that Green's ego will not tollerate losing.

binkar

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I also love the move. Not only because it gives us a chance to see what we have and we already know the other 2 QBs suck bad, but because I honestly think that Navarre is the best QB for our offense.

1) He is big and can see over our big line and not get many passes knocked down unlike the smaller King.

2) The guy has a CANNON! He throws the ball hard and with accuracy and can throw the ball down field.

3) The guy looked great in preseason. I know that he played against crappy third striggers, but he also played with crappy third stringers.

4) (and most importantly) The guy can see the field. McCown is an amazing athlete but he is not a good football player. He can do all the run, jump, thrown stuff great, but he just doesnt see the field well. Hopfully Navarre will be able to do that better.

5) He has big game experience. I know nothing equals up to NFL experience but the guy has played in some big games with big crowds, something I dont think McCown can say to this day.

All in all, I am excited about the move and think Navarre will perform better then the other 2 have. I hope we take more chances down field and give Larry and Quan a chance to make plays on their own. When DG was in Minny Randall Cunningham would just thrown the ball up and let Moss go get it and I think Fitz may already be a top jump ball WR in the NFL.

OP
OP
Lex

Lex

troublemaker
Reaction score
As to what Denny sees in Navarre, he said he's big, strong, tough, and smart.

That's it.

Culpepper?

Guy's like Navarre are tough to tackle, tough to hit, hurt, and intimidate. He's taller than McCown, (King is just too short for my taste) and has a strong arm.

Oh by the way, putting Navarre in as starter the week he goes back to Michigan, is flatly, brilliant.

Navarre gets his shot to prove to that area of the country that they were wrong about him, he's GOT to appreciate that from Denny.

Denny loves players that perceive they've been disrespected, so they can prove everyone wrong.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:

Here's a blurb on his Michigan career. Your recall doesn't seem all that accurate. He was criticized more than any other QB at Michigan, but he also holds just about every record.

BIO: All-conference selection last year after completing 59.2 percent/3,331/24/10. Honorable mention all-league choice as a junior after completing 55.4 percent/2,905/21/7. Became a full-time starter as a sophomore and passed for 53.8 percent/2,435/19/13. Holds Michigan records for pass completions, attempts, as well as yards.

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Lex said:
(King is just too short for my taste) g.

that's it!!! I knew there was some reason I didn't like King.

he just seemed to short for the position.. I honestly can say it bugged me

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ajcardfan said:
Here's a blurb on his Michigan career. Your recall doesn't seem all that accurate. He was criticized more than any other QB at Michigan, but he also holds just about every record.

BIO: All-conference selection last year after completing 59.2 percent/3,331/24/10. Honorable mention all-league choice as a junior after completing 55.4 percent/2,905/21/7. Became a full-time starter as a sophomore and passed for 53.8 percent/2,435/19/13. Holds Michigan records for pass completions, attempts, as well as yards.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/tribune-review/sports/hs98/s_96401.html

http://www.freep.com/sports/umich/um10_20030910.htm

That's just two of hundreds of articles on Navarre in college. The comment about Central Michigan came from an actual post on a michigan fan board, I typed in John Navarre hated by Michigan fans and that was one of the links I got.

The guy was under enormous pressure because Henson basically quit on Lloyd Carr when they had planned to redshirt Navarre. The backup QB started and bombed, so they started Navarre halfway through his freshman year. Fans had seen Griese, Brady and Henson, they weren't ready to accept losing games and watching this big lumbering kid miss guys and do all the things true Freshman QB"s do.

ChandlerCard

Now living in Scottsdale
Reaction score
I'm not surprised at all

Fact: Josh is a great kid who kept us in games, but he wasn't winning the games for us, he wasn't reading the field well, and he wasn't getting the ball to the receivers. If that was due to play calling, then perhaps the coaches had concerns from practice and were afraid to call certain plays.

Fact: King had his chance to prove that he's the wiley veteran who could get it done. He shouldn't need much time to get into a groove. But yesterday he was not checking off, not throwing accurately, and trying to force things. His comment about "trying to make it pretty" instead of getting the ball accurately to Fitz just about sums it up.

Fact: Denny believes his offense needs to be executed, but doesn't need a superstar at QB. If Navarre is as smart and handles the pressure as well as other posts say, he will probably do OK.

Fact: Denny has the balls to do this and will get some of these decisions right (i.e. hiring Clancy Pendergast). Maybe he'll be right on this one as well.

Yesterday the offense tried to open it up from the start, but when King failed they went conservative, which I think Denny hates. For whatever reason they wouldn't let Josh open it up. So I'm not surprised that if Navarre has a cannon, reads the field well, and is comfortable in the pocket that Denny would roll the dice.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ChandlerCard said:
). Yesterday the offense tried to open it up from the start, but when King failed they went conservative, which I think Denny hates. For whatever reason they wouldn't let Josh open it up. So I'm not surprised that if Navarre has a cannon, reads the field well, and is comfortable in the pocket that Denny would roll the dice.

I think the Jets keeping 2 safeties back most of the first half had a lot more to do with it. Green wanted to open it up and take shots, but he couldn't because throwing deep against a 2 deep safety look is asking for turnovers.

wembley88

A Grand Old Team
Reaction score
Ive seen Navarre on TV only once and thought he looked awful.

And while we might not win another game this season, at least Denny will know every one of the squad which sets us up nicely for the offseason and 2005.

Nice move by Denny, genuinely pleased with it.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/tribune-review/sports/hs98/s_96401.html

http://www.freep.com/sports/umich/um10_20030910.htm

That's just two of hundreds of articles on Navarre in college. The comment about Central Michigan came from an actual post on a michigan fan board, I typed in John Navarre hated by Michigan fans and that was one of the links I got.

The guy was under enormous pressure because Henson basically quit on Lloyd Carr when they had planned to redshirt Navarre. The backup QB started and bombed, so they started Navarre halfway through his freshman year. Fans had seen Griese, Brady and Henson, they weren't ready to accept losing games and watching this big lumbering kid miss guys and do all the things true Freshman QB"s do.

That's all true Russ. But he was not "BAD" before his senior year, he was honorable mention All conference as a junior. I think his career is kind of poor man's Carson Palmer. I saw an interview with Lloyd Carr where he called the criticism Navarre got the most unfair of any player he's ever been around.

OP
OP
Lex

Lex

troublemaker
Reaction score
Thanks for those links Russ-

Here's a couple lines from them:

"The stats are going to come, and I don't care what they are as long as I take care of the ball."- John Navarre

2002-Michigan averaged 28.8 points per game.

From two of his teamates:

Navarre has spent the last 4 years "getting no love from anybody."

"I think he's taken all the criticism and used it as a driving force."

This guy is right out of the Denny Green manual for football players.

Cardinal Bob

Glutton for Punishment
Reaction score
Three things I think...

1) We're gonna get the crap kicked out of us by the Lions on Sunday. :(

2) Dennis Green has to be the most stubborn S.O.B. on the planet (with the exception of our current president). :mad:

3) We're gonna finish 4-12 again at this rate. :(

seesred

Reaction score
This is IMO great news and proves beyond a doubt that the only reason he coaches is to win games.His first year here and he understands our non tradition. He is going to break our history and not let a player, a fan or the the owner stop him from his goals. This man got big ones! I love it. At least we are trying to move foward.

GBR
Thanks goodness for DG!

GBR

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OH MY GOD - that's about all I can say right now. Jstadvl - man I REALLY hope you're right about this kid. No one can say Denny isn't keeping things UNBELIEVABLY interesting this season. Holy Crap - can't wait to read through the rest of this thread.

DevonCardsFan

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Lets hope Navarre becomes the cards Tom Brady. :thumbup: A QB picked way low that comes in and lights it up :thumbup:

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lex said:
As to what Denny sees in Navarre, he said he's big, strong, tough, and smart.

That's it.

Culpepper?

Guy's like Navarre are tough to tackle, tough to hit, hurt, and intimidate. He's taller than McCown, (King is just too short for my taste) and has a strong arm.

Oh by the way, putting Navarre in as starter the week he goes back to Michigan, is flatly, brilliant.

Navarre gets his shot to prove to that area of the country that they were wrong about him, he's GOT to appreciate that from Denny.

Denny loves players that perceive they've been disrespected, so they can prove everyone wrong.

Of course Culpepper is faster than Navarre with both of his legs tied together and a sack tied around them but he is a similar size to Navarre.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ajcardfan said:
That's all true Russ. But he was not "BAD" before his senior year, he was honorable mention All conference as a junior. I think his career is kind of poor man's Carson Palmer. I saw an interview with Lloyd Carr where he called the criticism Navarre got the most unfair of any player he's ever been around.

Sorry the bad was out of context. What I meant to say was the other guys were loved by the fans and cheered during their careers, Navarre was hated by the fans and booed. Yes saying he was a bad qb is inaccurate, the Michigan fans thought he was a bad QB is what I was getting at.

I had him on my potential steal list before the draft, I think he can be a viable NFL backup, I just think it's nuts to start him now.

Carr is right, it wasn't Navarre's fault that Henson left and that's really what caused it. Fans were so furious at Henson leaving because they had no backup plan. Sort of like how quickly fans turned on King, they were mad about the benching of Josh and the way it happened, so the first sign King was struggling yesterday, boos rained down.