National writers on the officiating

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
I feel this deserves its own thread

I am not as pissed as some are but rather then it sounding like sour grapes I thought I would link to these two articles from an un- bias perspective on the officiating...

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9168548/Here's-the-real-MVP-of-Super-Bowl-XLIII

Terry McAulay should be headed to Disney World this morning. He should be the toast of Pittsburgh, a guest on PTI and Jim Rome's Jungle and driving whatever luxury vehicle that is awarded to the Super Bowl's MVP....

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_y...slug=ms-morningrush020209&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

First, an apology: Seahawks fans, I know I’ve been telling you to get over the calls that went against you in Super Bowl XL, but the flurry of flags Sunday night brought it all back, and now I once again feel your pain. Granted, many of the penalties against the Cardinals were deserved, and ultimately I don’t think the officiating cost either Arizona or Seattle a Super Bowl victory. Yet after Sunday, I can totally see how an objective observer would wonder whether the Steelers have some cosmic, unconscious hold on the hearts and minds of the zebras. Some examples: After Roethlisberger threw an incompletion on first-and-10 from the 50 midway through the third quarter, he was pushed in the back by Dansby, whose momentum appeared to carry him into the quarterback. The refs called a personal foul. Later that drive, on third-and-goal from the Arizona 9, Big Ben was about to get sacked and chucked the ball toward nobody in what seemed like a logical time for an intentional-grounding call. The officials didn’t flag him, ruling that he was outside the pocket – it looked pretty borderline to me. On the next play, Jeff Reed’s 27-yard field goal attempt, Adrian Wilson unintentionally ran into the holder, Mitch Berger, and a personal foul was called. It may have been legitimate, but things had become so one-sided that from that point on reporters in my section of the press box started conjuring up sarcastic fouls every time the Cards made a play: The defender threw the ballcarrier to the ground, resulting in a 15-yard penalty … Then, midway through the fourth quarter, on second-and-goal from the Pittsburgh 4, Warner threw an underneath pass to halfback Tim Hightower and got absolutely clocked by Harrison. The hit was far more egregious than Dansby’s push of Roethlisberger earlier, but no flag was thrown. Awful. Finally, after Holmes’ game-winning touchdown catch, his celebration – a LeBron James powder-throwing tribute – seemed to violate the rule against using the football as a prop, which could have resulted in a 15-yard penalty that would’ve forced Pittsburgh to kick off from its own 15. I’m not suggesting there was a conspiracy in Pittsburgh’s favor. I do believe, however, that this supposed all-star cast of officials had Ed Hochuli Disease: a tendency to make the game more about them than necessary. There were 11 penalties on the Cards for 106 yards, and seven for 56 on the Steelers.

Now here’s the real diatribe: On the penultimate play of the game, after Warner was hit by Woodley while seemingly trying to throw a pass, the play was ruled a fumble, recovered by Woodley – and the officials acted like they had a table waiting at Mons Venus and needed to get there by 11. For all I know, the play would not have been overturned, and perhaps the replay official was able to determine that conclusively in a very short period. But even if it were only for the sake of appearances, how could the officials not stop the game and go through the process of conducting a formal review? I mean, this is the league that brought you the Tuck Rule, a play whose reversal at the time of the replay review seemed utterly incomprehensible, until Walt Coleman informed us how little we knew about football. Speaking of which, maybe Warner tucked the ball at some point during the play in question; or, perhaps, a conclusive case could be made that his arm was going forward. Or maybe not, but at least slow it down and take a few good looks at the replay. Because, you know, it’s only the most important game of the season. Sure, only five seconds remained, but had there been a reversal, the ball would’ve moved from the Pittsburgh 44 to the 29, because a personal foul had been called on Woodley for taunting after the play. Hmmm, let’s see, Warner throwing up top to Fitzgerald from about his own 35? I’d say there’s a little bit better chance of completing that than your typical Hail Mary. Again, it’s quite possible that the fumble would’ve been upheld on replay, and all of this would then become moot. I’m just stunned that the officials didn’t even bother to hash it out.

Food for thought

CtCardinals78

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I don't know if fixed is the right word. But the NFL should investigate that crew. The Cards got jobbed by the officials last night no doubt about it. On Pits last drive the refs conviently missed holding on the Steelers one on a critical first down. The NFL should be embarassed.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
The NFL have a conscience? Thats a joke.The same NFL that lets mr steroid;from the chargers be MVP.The same NFL that frowns on gambling yet will make a buck selling anything.The same NFL that fines player for so-called illegal hits and then promotes the hits on highlites to get more viewers.The same NFL that the Cowboys have every criminal type and kisses the Cowboys and Steelers asses ( with the frigging Patriots) every chance they get. :bang:

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
It's tilted a bit yes and that makes it tougher to get through but not impossible.

I just want to say that this stomping on people as sour grapes has to stop, and also teams that go through this need to stick together and the evaluation of this stuff does need to come from objective observers.

No one is going to believe us but other NFL cities have to watch for this when it happens to shine a light on it so it at least is tougher for them to pull.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave