My takeaways from the game

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Just a question for u guys
After 1 year with the new coach I still don't get why he is called by many an offensive guru
Considering he has an unique talent at qb like Murray with some crazy playmaking skills his calls are pretty conservative and pathetic in some circumstances
I have a feeling this team with Andy Reid or Sean Payton could have put two more scores on the board yesterday
I know we got a big win but I'm still not very optimistic with his playcalling

He gets the credit for his play designs. On that front he is very creative.

His play calling however is piss poor and as was said last season, he can be ultra conservative while the game is within a score of taking the lead. He only seems to let loose once we are down 7 or more in the 2nd half.

Yesterdays opener was rather like last years opener. Conservative for 3 quarters and then he opened it up a bit. We had 10 points with less than 12 minutes to go at that TD came from ST's.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
He gets the credit for his play designs. On that front he is very creative.

His play calling however is piss poor and as was said last season, he can be ultra conservative while the game is within a score of taking the lead. He only seems to let loose once we are down 7 or more in the 2nd half.

Yesterdays opener was rather like last years opener. Conservative for 3 quarters and then he opened it up a bit. We had 10 points with less than 12 minutes to go at that TD came from ST's.

But that's what play sequencing is all about. We show/see the tendencies of ourselves and our opponents, and then we use our tendency breakers to create big plays.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
Kyler Murray, DeAndre Hopkins provide glimpse of Cardinals' bright future

And then, in a flash, magic unfolded in warp speed: 37-year-old wideout Larry Fitzgerald, a future first-ballot Hall of Famer beginning his 17th season, shot toward Hopkins from the left sideline, received a shovel pass in stride from Hopkins while calling for the ball and darted between the hashmarks, executing a perfect handoff to center Mason Cole. As Cole handed the ball to onrushing umpire Rich Hall, Fitzgerald lined up in the backfield and got set in time for Murray to receive Hall's snap and somehow spike the ball with two seconds to go.

Fitzgerald has 1,382 career regular-season receptions, second only to 49ers icon Jerry Rice, but this unofficial catch (and save) might have ranked with his most outrageous, and his teammates made sure it counted.
https://www.nfl.com/news/murray-hopkins-provide-glimpse-of-cardinals-bright-future

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I take any win we can get.

When did talking about the obvious flaws in the game become ungrateful? If there were 200 Cards fans on here today saying nothing but "great win" it would be pretty dull.

You only have to look at the game thread to see that up until that 3rd down PI call that saved us there were a lot of **** words going around.

You only have to put the highlights on Youtube. They barely show the Cardinals offense in the first half. It's pure Niners apart from the ST turnover and ensuing TD. The D however did great to stop them on downs on the 1 yard line and keep the interception and short field to a field goal.

Up until 11 minutes in the 4th quarter we had 10 points from a ST turnover and short yardage and a last second 1st half FG. We only really came alive late in the 3rd when we opened up the playbook a bit more.
Agreed. I think anyone can acknowledge as lifelong cards fans that a win is a win and you take it... But discussion and trying to find little things even during losses that you should have won and wins that you could have lost are fruitful. These are the minuscule differences that prepare you for the next game and pay huge dividends in the long run. Most successful teams play it this way anyway... Great we won, let's always prepare like we lost.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I have no issue with critiquing the team a bit. It's fair. The first half was gross, and at 7-10, thought they were gonna run all over us. Missing their best weapons really hurt, and we'll have to come in strong next game against them, because they'll look different. There were definitely short plays yesterday that drove me nuts.

But I'll definitely take the win.

TaylorSwift

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I think Kyler is already better than Jimmy G.

As a passer and accuracy.

Yea Kyler threw out jobbers out there. Jimmy G flat out missed on the throws he had to make while Kyler hit the ones he had to make.

I agree with an earlier poster who said that Kliffs play design is good, but his playcalling and overall schematics are rather poor. I didnt see rhythm throws to the middle that you need to get a qb their confidence until the 2nd half.

I dont know what he was doing the 1st qtr, somewhat got it together the second.

Drake, he can run the football. Its unfortunate he wasnt allowed to get into rhythm earlier in the game.

Fitz still has a lot left in the tank clearly, can get open and make the tough catches even when not.

Kyler missed that throw to Kirk, thats something I hope he cleans up. Its those throws made consistently that elevate teams to the next level.

Offensive line looked solid for the most part. protection got better as the day wore on

Defense - from top to bottom played well for the most part. Dline got after Jimmy G when it mattered late in the game. made him uncomfortable and exposed his garbage pocket presence.

Additions to lb were awesome. Played the run great. Limited gains all together at times.

I dont Simmons is a natural linebacker though.

49ers had their #1 #2 out but I dont know if that makes a difference. Yesterday was a no flyzone. PP looks back. Murphy came up huge, Budda all over the field. Great play.

If Kliff can clean up the playcalling and get Kyler into a rhythm earlier the Cardinals will be a very tough out for any team in the NFL

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
My take away and something nobody is going to cite for whatever reason. Game one, Kliff out coached Kyle. Yes he did. They both know their players. they both had sufficient time to prepare for this game. They both knew the unique situation of this off season and Kliff won. A game is four quarters and you approach it accordingly and Kliff and staff won the match. Kingsbury deserves some credit while the rest of the national media is trying to deflect that attention because he was the butt of their jokes early on... great job Kliff Kingsbury :raccoon:

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I think Kyler is already better than Jimmy G.

As a passer and accuracy.

Yea Kyler threw out jobbers out there. Jimmy G flat out missed on the throws he had to make while Kyler hit the ones he had to make.

I agree with an earlier poster who said that Kliffs play design is good, but his playcalling and overall schematics are rather poor. I didnt see rhythm throws to the middle that you need to get a qb their confidence until the 2nd half.

I dont know what he was doing the 1st qtr, somewhat got it together the second.

Drake, he can run the football. Its unfortunate he wasnt allowed to get into rhythm earlier in the game.

Fitz still has a lot left in the tank clearly, can get open and make the tough catches even when not.

Kyler missed that throw to Kirk, thats something I hope he cleans up. Its those throws made consistently that elevate teams to the next level.

Offensive line looked solid for the most part. protection got better as the day wore on

Defense - from top to bottom played well for the most part. Dline got after Jimmy G when it mattered late in the game. made him uncomfortable and exposed his garbage pocket presence.

Additions to lb were awesome. Played the run great. Limited gains all together at times.

I dont Simmons is a natural linebacker though.

49ers had their #1 #2 out but I dont know if that makes a difference. Yesterday was a no flyzone. PP looks back. Murphy came up huge, Budda all over the field. Great play.

If Kliff can clean up the playcalling and get Kyler into a rhythm earlier the Cardinals will be a very tough out for any team in the NFL

Both were pretty horrible throwing yesterday. Without Hopkins (who the Niners didn’t seem to take seriously for some reason) it would’ve been real ugly. Jimmy is nothing special but he had no WR’s and a banged up Kittle. They’re offense doesn’t have super high ceiling and it speaks to Shanahan that they’re top-10 in offensive efficiency.

At the end of the season we’ll be in the top-10.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Both were pretty horrible throwing yesterday. Without Hopkins (who the Niners didn’t seem to take seriously for some reason) it would’ve been real ugly. Jimmy is nothing special but he had no WR’s and a banged up Kittle. They’re offense doesn’t have super high ceiling and it speaks to Shanahan that they’re top-10 in offensive efficiency.

To an extent but those mid range outside sideline throws to Hopkins are difficult and pro caliber passes which I guess we tend to ignore because Kyler makes them look effortless

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
To an extent but those mid range outside sideline throws to Hopkins are difficult and pro caliber passes which I guess we tend to ignore because Kyler makes them look effortless

They’re not easy as some were skipped short. It’s good to see those two have chemistry already.

I think they miscommunication on the sideline back shoulder is on Nuk. That’ll get cleaned up.

TaylorSwift

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Shanahan scheme wise looked for better than Kingsbury imo for the 1st half.

Jimmy had open throws that he missed consistently in the second half

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Liked

Murray
Hopkins
Edmonds

Campbell
Blackson
Baker

Didn't Like

Kirk
Isabella
Vance Joseph (the defense in final two 9ers drives were same trash as last year. This game ball bounced our since Jimmy could not close the door)
Coaches and front office who in their freaking mind thought "hey let's start Simmons without preseason and see what happens"

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just a question for u guys
After 1 year with the new coach I still don't get why he is called by many an offensive guru
Considering he has an unique talent at qb like Murray with some crazy playmaking skills his calls are pretty conservative and pathetic in some circumstances
I have a feeling this team with Andy Reid or Sean Payton could have put two more scores on the board yesterday
I know we got a big win but I'm still not very optimistic with his playcalling
Well we did have over 400 yards, scored 24 pts. On one of the best defenses in the league in their house. That’s in spite of penalties they had to overcome.
I’m a little befuddled at anybody being disappointed.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well we did have over 400 yards, scored 24 pts. On one of the best defenses in the league in their house. That’s in spite of penalties they had to overcome.
I’m a little befuddled at anybody being disappointed.

Disappointed? I just say I don't like his playcalling, and after 1 year i see the same head scratcher calls
In the long run a coach must play aggressive if he wants to succeed

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Disappointed? I just say I don't like his playcalling, and after 1 year i see the same head scratcher calls
In the long run a coach must play aggressive if he wants to succeed

Not saying you were disappointed. Sorry it came across that way.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
random observation:

i thought the diff between last year's 49ers games and yesterdays for the D was the there was just enough push up the middle from the Cards that Jimmy G wasnt comfortable. The first sack had Jimmy dodging two non-existent rushers before Chandler finally tracked him down.

i really wonder with the way that Shanahan schemes so many first read easy throws if Jimmy G just isnt ready for when things get tight and he gets pressured

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
random observation:

i thought the diff between last year's 49ers games and yesterdays for the D was the there was just enough push up the middle from the Cards that Jimmy G wasnt comfortable. The first sack had Jimmy dodging two non-existent rushers before Chandler finally tracked him down.

i really wonder with the way that Shanahan schemes so many first read easy throws if Jimmy G just isnt ready for when things get tight and he gets pressured
The Goff Syndrome

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I honestly think Kliff is still growing as a coach.

What you're saying is not wrong. His offenses at A&M (Manziel) and Tech (Mahomes) thrives on the QBs playmaking skills.

I do think some of that may be by design.

I think Kyler's playmaking skills were sort of mixed last year. We still havent seen many scramble throws for big gains yet cause Kyler doesnt see dont field as well (at least on film last year)

Tempo, the rhythm,etc its set up to prey on tired and mistake prone defenses.

I think what Kliff is still learning is how to incorporate his short passing game on an NFL level.

The Rams put on a clinic last night in terms of short throws. The difference is McVay has figured misdirection and when to call screen passes.

The moment Kliff gets a better feel to when to call screen plays the offense will get more big plays. I also think as we incorporate Kyler under center more it will help with the misdirection (just like his 1st TD pass)

If Kyler can improve on throwing guys open in the middle of the field and improve his vision on scramble/down field throws the offense will really take off.

I watched the Rams last night and that is one boring offense. They run like 8 plays with just a few tweeks to fool the defense.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
Division opponent, their house, they have a very stout defense, we won, it's a good day.

I wanted to see more scoring, more downfield throws, but at the end of the day you play the game the defense gives you unless you can just dictate whatever the heck you want to do. Personally I hope we become a team that can do that over the course fo the year but the first game back after all the covid craziness this was a well fought win.

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting comparisons. Both teams got off to slow starts vs. San Fran, then got on a roll offensively:

KC vs. SF in the Super Bowl:
KC only had 10 points at half time, was down 10-20 at the end of the 3rd quarter, and ended up winning 31-20.
KC had 26 first downs (6-14 on 3rd downs, 2-3 on 4th) vs SF 21 (3-8, 0-1), 397 total yards to 351 (268-210 passing, 129-141 rushing), 33:13 time of possession.
Mahomes was 26-42-286-2-2 passing, sacked 4 times for -18 yards, 9-29 rushing.

AZ @ SF this week:
AZ only had 10 points at half time, was down 10-13 at the end of the 3rd, and ended up winning 24-20.
AZ had 29 first downs (7-14 on 3rd downs, 0-0 on 4th) vs SF 18 (2-11, 0-2), 410 total yards to 382 (230-259 passing, 180-123 rushing), 31:26 TOP.
Murray was 26-40-236-1-1 passing, sacked 2 times for -6 yards, 13-91 rushing.

After the Cards' goal-line stand in the 2nd quarter, AZ outgained SF 360-191 the rest of the way. In the 2nd half, AZ outgained SF 230-144 and had 18 first downs vs. 9.

...dave

Last edited:

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I don’t think the offense is boring. I think the QB is.

Its a variation of a few plays man.

His whole deal is to make a run and a pass look like the same thing. Just not fun. You don't see the concepts that Kingsbury does.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA