My takeaways from the game

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That was a weird game. Completely not what I was expecting. I think we all thought we would see a high flying offense and a shaky defense but got the reverse.

Some things that stood out to me.

Devon Kennard seemed to play a lot less snaps than I thought he would. Certainly early on, where Kylie Fitts was getting more snaps at OLB. That may have been to keep him fresher for later but it didn't seem to achieve much.

Devondre Campbell was superb. He looked great in both coverage and run stopping. Looked like he had been in this defense for years.

We might actually be able to defend tight ends. Kittle had 4 for 44 yards. That's the lowest TE production vs us for a while and Kittle is one of the best. It helps when the opposition don't have any wide receivers though.

I thought this was one of our best O line pass pro performances in a long time against one of the leagues best D lines. Yes, there were times Kyler was rushed, but that happens to all QB's in all games. The majority of the time he was clean and had time.

Kyler really didn't make use of that time. The box score looks good in the end, but the first half especially was really bad. There were numerous time he threw a weird pass that fell well short or where he had an open guy (like Kirk) but was way of target. It's game 1 but I expected better.

Lamont Gaillard looks very good. We might actually have some quality interior backup and a replacement next year for Sweezy. Kelvin Beachum also did very well at right tackle.

Kyler is still a great runner. That hasn't changed. Shame it took most of the first half to break it out.

We need better safety depth if Banjo is it.

I expected more from Jordan Philips. For the money he is getting I wanted to see him in the backfield more. Especially against an interior O line that isn't good.

Kliff's play design is great. Kliff's play calling is not great. Overall he was super conservative, especially in the first half, and some of the play calls based on the situation were terrible. 2nd and 10 with only 15 seconds in the half left and needing to score points? That sounds like a good time to run Kyler for a 1 yard loss.

Despite being in range a number of times we didn't have a single EZ shot the whole game.

Hopkins had 14 catches. Everyone else combined had 12. Kirk and Larry had 5 between them for 35 yards. That can't continue. It might work week 1 but not so much week 2.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I do also feel that while we got better through the game this was really a Niners loss rather than a Cardinals win. Let's be real, they had no good WR's out there and they still had a number of opportunities to put the game to bed in the first half. First with the turnover on downs at the 1, then another RZ opportunity that became a FG.

And we looked dead and buried on 3 really bad downs inside our own 10 before they gave away a soft PI call on 3rd down. If that doesn't happen we lose this game.

Both Rams and Seachicks looked very good yesterday. It was a good win, and they came back impressively after that PI call to get the win but I'm not crowning us yet. Still a lot of issues on show.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I do also feel that while we got better through the game this was really a Niners loss rather than a Cardinals win. Let's be real, they had no good WR's out there and they still had a number of opportunities to put the game to bed in the first half. First with the turnover on downs at the 1, then another RZ opportunity that became a FG.

And we looked dead and buried on 3 really bad downs inside our own 10 before they gave away a soft PI call on 3rd down. If that doesn't happen we lose this game.

Both Rams and Seachicks looked very good yesterday. It was a good win, and they came back impressively after that PI call to get the win but I'm not crowning us yet. Still a lot of issues on show.
Whatever the hell this means

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Something I didn't notice in game because they weren't targeted much.

Murphy started at outside corner. Kirkpatrick only played 20 snaps at slot.

Reddick played almost as many snaps at OLB as Kennard

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
There’s no such thing as a “should have”.

If we “should have” lost, we -would have- lost.

It’s called “capitalizing”. That’s what the team did & SF didn’t. That’s what solid teams do.

We did have quite a few things go our way that would not have been typical. An away game with no crowd. 49ers were missing both starting WR's. Its good that we took care of business in this meeting because they will be a different team later in the season. Hopefully we will be better as well, but we did what good/playoff teams do. You are presented a winnable game and you win it...even if it isn't an easy win.

What separates playoff teams from everyone else is how you play against the bottom 1/3 of the league. Playoff teams rarely lose games against those teams. They find a way to win and they pad that win total.

BleedRed

Registered
Reaction score
The 49ers front 7 is ridiculous, they have so much talent on the line and LB's it's not even funny. I personally wanted to see us be more aggressive, but honestly it seemed like the game plan was to get the ball out quick and I'm good with it. We won. I expect the offense to open up a lot more next week.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We did have quite a few things go our way that would not have been typical. An away game with no crowd. 49ers were missing both starting WR's. Its good that we took care of business in this meeting because they will be a different team later in the season. Hopefully we will be better as well, but we did what good/playoff teams do. You are presented a winnable game and you win it...even if it isn't an easy win.

What separates playoff teams from everyone else is how you play against the bottom 1/3 of the league. Playoff teams rarely lose games against those teams. They find a way to win and they pad that win total.

Exactly. I'm not going to crown us because we beat a team playing 3rd string WR's. I'm seeing a lot in the media today about how we beat the Superbowl finalists and "one of the best teams in the NFC".

We beat a team with WR's that Jimmy clearly didn't trust. Once our defenders figured out the passing game was all TE and RB's we mostly adjusted accordingly.

I'm really pleased for the win, especially after the first half, but there was some really poor stuff and I think most teams in the NFL would have won that game against a depleted Niners offense. I'm just tempering my enthusiasm.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score

Win is a win.

As a Cardinals fan, I take ANY win we get.

Fine with me if you see it this way. Karma baby, we have "LOST" many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many games that other teams walked away with a win.

So, do not care. Beat the NFC Champs. 1-0.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Exactly. I'm not going to crown us because we beat a team playing 3rd string WR's. I'm seeing a lot in the media today about how we beat the Superbowl finalists and "one of the best teams in the NFC".

We beat a team with WR's that Jimmy clearly didn't trust. Once our defenders figured out the passing game was all TE and RB's we mostly adjusted accordingly.

I'm really pleased for the win, especially after the first half, but there was some really poor stuff and I think most teams in the NFL would have won that game against a depleted Niners offense. I'm just tempering my enthusiasm.

The one thing to note about missing WRs is that its a foolish part of the Niners roster construction to rely so much on young and/or unproven WRs. Deebo missed time in college too for injuries.

Aiyuk? Maybe if he played today he would suck. Who knows. He is completely unproven. Its not like we are talking about the Miners missing Fitzgerald and Boldin.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Win is a win.

As a Cardinals fan, I take ANY win we get.

Fine with me if you see it this way. Karma baby, we have "LOST" many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many games that other teams walked away with a win.

So, do not care. Beat the NFC Champs. 1-0.

I take any win we can get.

When did talking about the obvious flaws in the game become ungrateful? If there were 200 Cards fans on here today saying nothing but "great win" it would be pretty dull.

You only have to look at the game thread to see that up until that 3rd down PI call that saved us there were a lot of **** words going around.

You only have to put the highlights on Youtube. They barely show the Cardinals offense in the first half. It's pure Niners apart from the ST turnover and ensuing TD. The D however did great to stop them on downs on the 1 yard line and keep the interception and short field to a field goal.

Up until 11 minutes in the 4th quarter we had 10 points from a ST turnover and short yardage and a last second 1st half FG. We only really came alive late in the 3rd when we opened up the playbook a bit more.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We could have lost but we didn't. It usually is the other way around for Cards fans. Wins are tough to come by especially in the NFC West. I like this team and feel they will grow and get better.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bullet points on these post.

A win is a win especially on the road when you haven’t played your best game.

Flaws? You betcha. But this team overcame.

Opponents weapons. This organization has made All-Pros out of Back-up players nobody has ever heard of. Not today.

We are not part of the game plan. Many times plays called in the first quarter are designed to set up something later in the game.

Two years ago if we were looking at 3rd and 5, we were going to have to punt. Today we have opposing defenses on their collective heels no matter what the down and distance is.

During a game individual players step up to make a play. It’s very hard to say how we won this game because we had so many individual plays that contributed.

Turners blocked punt.
Fitz’s heads up getting the ball to the official.
Whoever you want to credit Stuffing the niners on the goal line
Zane hitting a career long 56 yard Fg before the half. Yes he missed two but that Fg definitely shifted momentum.
Drake. Could have drawn a crack back block on Kylers scramble but wisely turn his back on the pursuing defender.
Murphy, who We have all questioned breaking up that last play.

So sit back, smoke a victory cigar and tomorrow we’ll get ready for the Red...err, Washington.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The one thing to note about missing WRs is that its a foolish part of the Niners roster construction to rely so much on young and/or unproven WRs. Deebo missed time in college too for injuries.

Aiyuk? Maybe if he played today he would suck. Who knows. He is completely unproven. Its not like we are talking about the Miners missing Fitzgerald and Boldin.

I'm thrilled to get the win and both teams needed to work out their kinks. A win is win and I'm more than happy to take it. I wouldn't count on Aiyuk to "suck" though.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think we were lucky to win and have to improve a lot if we want this to be a ten win season. The good news is, the next two teams are not the same caliber as that team was. We got a lot of lucky bounces but the offense needs to become more dynamic. We cant rely on only throwing to hop and Murray running for 100 yards.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I'm thrilled to get the win and both teams needed to work out their kinks. A win is win and I'm more than happy to take it. I wouldn't count on Aiyuk to "suck" though.

I've seen over a dozen 1st round receivers suck. I don't count on them either way. To count on a receiver to be good right away is wishful thinking.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've seen over a dozen 1st round receivers suck. I don't count on them either way. To count on a receiver to be good right away is wishful thinking.

I've seen this guy play a bit. :shades:

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Whatever the hell this means
Amen brotha, we’ve been on the losing end of many of opposite kind of games.

all I know is a win, is a win, is a win. 1-0 in the standings, this is the NFL where the left column is all that matters.

Our offense & defense play better than I actually expected given this weird year of limited TC

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Just a question for u guys
After 1 year with the new coach I still don't get why he is called by many an offensive guru
Considering he has an unique talent at qb like Murray with some crazy playmaking skills his calls are pretty conservative and pathetic in some circumstances
I have a feeling this team with Andy Reid or Sean Payton could have put two more scores on the board yesterday
I know we got a big win but I'm still not very optimistic with his playcalling

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
You want to be able to be in one-score games against elite competition like San Francisco. We got one on the road, and that counts for us and against them no matter what happens later.

The next step is being able to put away mediocre to bad teams.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Just a question for u guys
After 1 year with the new coach I still don't get why he is called by many an offensive guru
Considering he has a unique talent at qb like Murray with some crazy playmaking skills his calls are pretty conservative and pathetic in done circumstances
I have a feeling this team with Andy Reid or seen Payton could be two more scores on the board yesterday
I know we got a big win but I'm still not very optimistic with his playcalling
I honestly think Kliff is still growing as a coach.

What you're saying is not wrong. His offenses at A&M (Manziel) and Tech (Mahomes) thrives on the QBs playmaking skills.

I do think some of that may be by design.

I think Kyler's playmaking skills were sort of mixed last year. We still havent seen many scramble throws for big gains yet cause Kyler doesnt see dont field as well (at least on film last year)

Tempo, the rhythm,etc its set up to prey on tired and mistake prone defenses.

I think what Kliff is still learning is how to incorporate his short passing game on an NFL level.

The Rams put on a clinic last night in terms of short throws. The difference is McVay has figured misdirection and when to call screen passes.

The moment Kliff gets a better feel to when to call screen plays the offense will get more big plays. I also think as we incorporate Kyler under center more it will help with the misdirection (just like his 1st TD pass)

If Kyler can improve on throwing guys open in the middle of the field and improve his vision on scramble/down field throws the offense will really take off.