My NCAA Men's Tournament Round 1 Picks

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
East Regional

1. North Carolina vs. Western Kentucky

No 16 seed has ever beaten a number 1 in NCAA Men's Tournament history, and this isn't going to be the game that breaks the tradition.

I see the Colonels putting up a respectable showing, perhaps making Carolina sweat it out for the first 5 minutes, however the talent gap here is too deep for them to even think of making a run.

Prediction: North Carolina 91, Eastern Kentucky 65

Marquette vs. Michigan State

Teacher vs. Pupil games are always the most exciting to watch, and this one should be no different.

The Golden Eagles will feel not having Jerel McNeal early on, however I forsee red-hot Dominic James bailing them out just enough to etch out a victory over the Spartans.

Prediction: Marquette 61, Michigan State 55

USC vs. Arkansas

Talk about saving your job-- Hogs coach Stan Heath was on the hottest of hot-seats before the SEC Tournament. After catching lightning in a bottle and making it to the conference championship game, he may have bought himself some time. A win in the tournament will only help his cause.

USC on the other hand, is a very streaky team. Tim Floyd has done a fantastic job bringing USC back in to the Top 25 and returning them to the tournament, however I think in this one, they get arrogant and attempt to play racehorse basketball with the Hogs, and wind up getting shut down by Steven Hill and company.

Prediction: Arkansas 77, USC 68

Texas vs. New Mexico State

This will be Kevin Durant's farewell to the college game, and if my crystal ball is functioning properly, I can forsee him and the Longhorns having a Syracuse-esque run in to the Final Four and possibly beyond.

Reggie Theus is a very good coach. Look for him to be elsewhere, other than Las Cruces, NM next year. However, in this one, Texas will prove to be just too much for the Aggies to handle. They'll keep it close....... but........

Prediction: Texas 68, New Mexico State 61

Vanderbilt vs. George Washington

Here's one of my first upset picks..

Gee Dub is riding a hot hand coming in to the tournament, winning eight in a row, with five of those eight coming on the road/neutural site games. The backcourt of Maureece Rice and Carl Elliot are capable and WILL control the pace of this game, while underrated Regis Koundja is at worst capable of maintaining either Derrick Byars or Shan Foster, Vandy's wing players.

With the inability to do anything after their two top dogs are minimalized, the Commodores bow out early.

Prediction: George Washington 55, Vanderbilt 49

Washington State vs. Oral Roberts

And now... The REAL Upset of my picks.

Check my brackets.. In every single one, I have Oral Roberts beating Wazzu..

I really like Caleb Green, and think that there's noone on Washington State's roster who can counter him. Also, underrated point guard Ken Tutt will find the right open shots and teammates to maintain the pace of the game. Remember also, the Golden Eagles beat Kansas IN Lawrence.. This team's battle tested enough to beat the underwhelming Cougars.

I see this being a buzzer beater but..

Prediction: Oral Roberts 78, Washington State 75

Boston College vs. Texas Tech

It's a three man team (Dudley, Marshall and Rice) versus a 2 man team (Jackson and Zeno).

You know the saying about numbers right?

Prediction: Boston College 60, Texas Tech 55

Georgetown vs. Belmont

Georgetown's everyone's chic pick to make the Final Four.. While I see them losing before that point, it's not going to be to Belmont.

Prediction: Georgetown 91, Belmont 60

Midwest Regional

Florida vs. Jackson State

The Gators attempt to become the first team since Duke to repeat as NCAA Champions. Where I don't see them doing the trick, I DO see them blowing Jackson State out of the water.

Prediction: Florida 98, Jackson State 45

Arizona vs. Purdue

Meet the most frustrating team in the NCAA Tournament-- the Wildcats of Arizona.

Talentwise, this team has all kinds of talent. Based off of just talent alone, this team COULD (key word being COULD) make some noise in this tournament. However, their lax defense and poor chemsitry could have them bounced just as quickly.

Either way, I see them beating Purdue. They've got too much talent for the Boilermakers to handle. Whereas the Boilers have a very decent defense, the offense is poor.

Prediction: Arizona 63, Purdue 48

Butler vs. Old Dominion

Which Butler shows up could dictate how far or how quickly the Bulldogs go.

If the Butler squad that won the Pre-Season NIT shows up, they could go to the Sweet 16.

If the Butler who lost four of it's last eight shows up, they get bounced by an experienced and hungry Monarch squad.

I'm gonna go with the former, but hold my breath doing so.

Prediction: Butler 51, Old Dominion 47

Maryland vs. Davidson

The Wildcats are another team who could make a trip to the 16, based largely off the hands of Stephen Curry.

I think the Cats keep it close, however Maryland's experience plays out.

Prediction: Maryland 59, Davidson 53

Notre Dame vs. Winthrop

Gregg Marshall's one of college basketball's brightest coaches, however come March, his Eagles are 0 fer the tournament.

As they say though, there's a first time for everything, and if the Eagles were ever suited to break that streak, it's this year.

Prediction:Winthrop 55, Notre Dame 52

Oregon vs. Miami (OH)

Meet coach #2 who may have saved his job by a good run in conference tournament play, the Ducks blew threw the Pac 10 tournament with ease, temporarily silencing critics in Eugene.

Those boo birds will come back in a hurry if the Ducks bow out early. Where I only see them riding this wave so far, they're in for at least one win, and beat a game, but overmatched Red Hawk squad.

Prediction: Oregon 69, Miami 62

UNLV vs. Georgia Tech

Does it seem hard to believe that UNLV is making their first tournament trip in almost seven years? Hell, it seems like just yesterday, they were one of the premier teams in college basketball under Jerry Tarkanian.

Give Lon Kruger credit here, he's brought Runnin' Rebel basketball back to prominence, and this team is one that COULD be a sleeper.

Georgia Tech is a good matchup for the Rebs. Both Javaris Crittenton and Thaddeus Young are explosive and capable of putting the Yellow Jackets on their backs and carrying them in to a few wins in the tourney.

The main issue with G-Tech this year has been lousy defensive play and poor play on the road, going 3-10 away from home this season.

I see this going down to the wire.

Prediction: UNLV 78, Georgia Tech 74

Wisconsin vs. Texas A&M Corpus Christi

Wisconsin's one of my final four teams, for the mere fact that defensively, they're one of the best in the Nation. They've shown capability of shutting down the best of the best.

They should have little issue beating the up-and-coming, excited to be here Islanders.

Prediction: Wisconsin 69, Texas A&M CC 48

Other predicted scores.

South

Ohio State 99, Central Connecticut State 44
Xavier 65, BYU 59
Tennessee 75, Long Beach State 63
Virginia 81, Albany 72
Louisville 70, Stanford 54
Texas A&M 82, Penn 59
Nevada 81, Creighton 79 (OT)
Memphis 91, North Texas 70

West

Kansas 103, Niagra 68
Villanova 78, Kentucky 69
Illinois 69, Virginia Tech 60
Southern Illinois 58, Holy Cross 55
Duke 60, Virginia Commonwealth 53
Pitt 82, Wright State 65
Gonzaga 66, Indiana 62
UCLA 98, Weber State 44

Last edited:

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You went to a lot of trouble.

How dare you pick Winthrop to beat Notre Dame? That's the current sexy pick, I admit.

GW will lose to Vandy, I think.

The whole Big 10 is overrated, in my opinion, so I don't like Illinois to win. Of course, my brackets are usually shredded by the end of round 1. One year, picking against the spread, I lost 28 of 32 games in round 1.

OP
OP
Diamondback Jay

Diamondback Jay

Reaction score
You went to a lot of trouble.

I wasn't quite done writing this up, but the games started, and giving a writeup for the games that did would have been a little pointless.

How dare you pick Winthrop to beat Notre Dame? That's the current sexy pick, I admit.

Yeah, I really like Winthrop for some reason. Can't quite pinpoint why. Then again, I was certain Oral Roberts was gonna beat Washington State. I'm no expert that's for sure :lol:

GW will lose to Vandy, I think.

The whole Big 10 is overrated, in my opinion, so I don't like Illinois to win. Of course, my brackets are usually shredded by the end of round 1. One year, picking against the spread, I lost 28 of 32 games in round 1.

If we were picking against the spread, I'd really be screwed LOL.

The Big Ten as a whole does nothing for me, and of the teams in it that I think will make a run, the only team I have beyond the Sweet 16 is Wisconsin because of their defensive ability.

OP
OP
Diamondback Jay

Diamondback Jay

Reaction score
Vanderbilt vs. George Washington

Here's one of my first upset picks..

Gee Dub is riding a hot hand coming in to the tournament, winning eight in a row, with five of those eight coming on the road/neutural site games. The backcourt of Maureece Rice and Carl Elliot are capable and WILL control the pace of this game, while underrated Regis Koundja is at worst capable of maintaining either Derrick Byars or Shan Foster, Vandy's wing players.

With the inability to do anything after their two top dogs are minimalized, the Commodores bow out early.

Prediction: George Washington 55, Vanderbilt 49

Wow, I missed the bus on that one pretty badly LOL.

OP
OP
Diamondback Jay

Diamondback Jay

Reaction score
Heh.. Hey, I'm a lot of things, self defacing one of them. Wait till one of my real big picks crashes and burns.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You should have put more time into this. Jay, this is half assed work.

J/K. Breakdowns AND predictions of scores? You need to go work for BSPN.

1usctrojan

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
USC vs. Arkansas

Talk about saving your job-- Hogs coach Stan Heath was on the hottest of hot-seats before the SEC Tournament. After catching lightning in a bottle and making it to the conference championship game, he may have bought himself some time. A win in the tournament will only help his cause.

USC on the other hand, is a very streaky team. Tim Floyd has done a fantastic job bringing USC back in to the Top 25 and returning them to the tournament, however I think in this one, they get arrogant and attempt to play racehorse basketball with the Hogs, and wind up getting shut down by Steven Hill and company.

Prediction: Arkansas 77, USC 68

Close......just flip the scores. :D