My 53 (Pre-Season Week 4)

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
QB (2): Palmer; Barkley;

I would try to trade Stanton to the Cowboys or some other team. I want Barkley to play the whole game this Thursday. Stanton is wildly inconsistent---and at this point in his career I don't want to hear about mechanics.

Palmer has to stop playing hot potato. He thinks he can just throw to spots and get away with it. What I like about him is that when he summons the will to play well, like he did on that bounce back TD drive, and, for example, that beautiful throw he made to TE Darren Fells, he's an All-Pro.

Plus, I would advise Palmer to stay away from throwing short and intermediate passes up the left hash---that's his Bermuda triangle, for whatever reason. That tipped pass was a poor decision because of the heavy traffic in that area and it's not a pass a QB can just drop in to a well covered RB with a well covered WR also in the vicinity.

RB (5): David Johnson; Chris Johnson; Ellington; K. Williams; Taylor

Was BA trying to hide K. Williams in this nationally televised game? The way the second unit was run blocking, he could have gone for big yards. Taylor and Penny ran hard but neither of them has any shake or breakaway speed. Taylor remains one of the better STs player, although he's not making enough tackles this year thus far.

Was very impressed once again with David Johnson's composure, Chris Johnson's toughness and Ellington's elusive on offense (not as a return man, however---looked shy, hesitant and ready to take a dive at any second).

TE (3): Fells; Gresham; Niklas

Good to see Fells back with the first team and playing well. Gresham showed tremendous toughness on his catch and RAC. Niklas---one game wonder in the pre-season? Momah is likely to pass through waivers and be signed to the PS. The big kid Valles had a good tackle on STs (on a kickoff) and looks like a good target on offense. He too could be a solid choice for the PS. Gerald Christian hasn't done much to even warrant a PS spot, at least thus far.

OL (8): Feldherr; Iupati; Shipley; Mathis; Humphries; Watford; Boehm; Toner

Boehm is gaining ground on Shipley. I have to be honest and say that Cole Toner is actually out-playing Evan Mathis (who doesn't quite seem right). D.J. was solid.

On the second unit, LG Antoine McClain and RT John Wetzel had their best games---I don't think either one will be claimed off waivers and seeing as for right now they wouldn't be in the game day 7, it's just as well to keep them on the PS.

The one guy who really struggled was LT Rob Crisp. At this point I am not sure if he is worthy of another year on the PS. I was hoping BA would sub Clay DeBord in at LT, but it could be that they are trying to hide him.

WR (6): Fitzgerlad; Floyd; John Brown; Jaron Brown; Nelson; Hubert

With Smoke suffering, Little Smoke is making a very good case for the roster. What's impressive about him is how well he adjusts to the football when going at top speed. Plus, could he be the answer asa the punt returner? He had one chance and tried to find a wall or a crease to his left---but let's try him there from the get-go this week. At this point I would consider playing him in the offense ahead of Nelson at times.

Brittan Golden and Jaxson Shipley had good games---but Hubert's combination of speed, hands and route running is superior to theirs.

Offense: 24

DT (3): Peters; X. Williams; Bryant

MJ has the Cardinals cutting Bryant, but he was named a captain for this week's game and BA has been effusive in his praise of Bryant's run stuffing ability and his leadership. Peters does not look very strong at this point---but with Stinson injured, this week he sticks. Xavier Williams is emerging as one of the better interior pass rushers.

DE (5): Campbell; Rucker; Mauro; Gunter; Nkemdiche

Rucker, Mauro and Nkemdiche flashed once or twice in the game. Gunter's been solid, but hasn't flashed the way I thought he would thus far. I really liked the play of Olsen Pierre---I see now why BA has mentioned his progress. He has a nice sack on an inside rush. Right now I am tempted to hold on to Pierre and give Peters some time on the IR to get back to full strength. i think Pierre can help us inside in the 4 man rush---I think he's athletic enough to shed his man and tackle the QB when he breaks the pocket, which is one qualm I have about the Cardinals' inside rushers---they don't react quickly enough to the QBs and they lose their rushing lanes. Nkemdiche made a nice penetration play on the goal line just very similar to how he penetrated Alabama's backfield. However, he was getting stood up and nullified to easily on his pass rush. Like BA had said,, he has a to get his pad level down.

Stinson is injured right now which is too bad because he could have some trade value as a run stuffer---like to SD who needs one. Maybe it would be best to put Stinson on the IR and not risk waiving him.

ILB (4): Minter; Bucannon; Clemons; Louis

Minter and Bucannon are forming a formidable tandem in the middle. Clemons proved his worth as a cover LB by breaking up a key third down pass to the TE. And Lamar Louis (LSU) is emerging as one of the best tacklers on STs---much needed.

Didn't see much of Butler and Alani Fua seems to be ailing physically as he is not running as swiftly as he did last year. Gabe Martin was in on some plays, but wasn't able to finish the tackles, but he was close.

OLB (5): Jones; Golden; Martin; Okpalaugo; Okafor

Good to see Chandler Jones record his first sack. Markus Golden looks good, as do Kareem Martin and Tristan Okpalaugo (both made a number of good plays). Would like to see Okafor this week to see if he can play with his torn bicep. Otherwise, it would be wise of Steve Keim to try to add another edge rusher.

CB (4): Peterson; Williams; Bethel; TBA

It was tough to see Mike Jenkins go down---he was just starting to make a good case for playing time. Hopefully his injury is not as scare as it looked. On the other hand, it was very good to see Brandon Williams play well---on the one pass that was completed against him, he had mirrored De'Andre Hopkins very well, which isn't easy to do on crossing routes. Justin Bethel was very rusty, obviously, but was at least close to his man, albeit with his back turned.

It looks like Steve Keim needs to make a trade for a CB asap. He can't rely on the waiver wire because the Cardinals are 29th in the pecking order and the good Cbs will be claimed well before the Cardinals have a chance.

S (5): Mathieu; Jefferson; Branch; Swearinger; Christian

Would like to see Tyvon Branch make more plays on the ball. He is a key player in the Cardinals' cover schemes and matches. Love the way Christian flies down the alley to the ball.

ST (3): Catanzaro; Swanson; Canaday

Catanzaro had a stronger game this week---which is good. The coaches named Drew Butler the STs captain this week, which likely means he's still their choice, but it is getting so tiring to see out punt returners having to retreat on punts and the other team's punt returners have to run up for punts. Swanson not only has the better leg, he's good on kickoffs too. It is possible that Steve Keim might be scouting other punters in preparation for the waiver wire---but Butler seems like the Stanton of the STs---he gets the coaches' vote of confidence without playing confidently.

It seems that Kameron Canaday is winning the LS job. Funny that BA calls him and Dany Dillon "best friends." Apparently, Buck and Aikman got quite a chuckle out of that one.

There were a number of positives from this week's game---it's just difficult to relish those positives while enduring yet another display of carelessness with the football from Cardinals' QBs and piss-poor CB and STs coverage.

Last edited:

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
Mitch you've been right on about Toner this year. I have really watched this kid after all the praise you've been giving him. His inside technique is flawless and he plays with a mean streak and to the whistle. I stated in the game day thread that K. Martin was around the ball often, and his outside contain was solid. I have seen a lot of improvement since last year. Looks like he has learned his new position.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Solid Mitch. With respect to RB's, I think I would take Penny over Taylor, especially with Taylor getting his knee dinged up yesterday.
I also really like that you pointed out Lamar Louis. He has seriously flashed on ST's which should earn him a spot in the 53 man...
Man is CB gonna be a sore spot for this team. Hard to believe that we will start the season with a CB who just learned the position last year in college! But Bethel is just not good at CB. Move him back to special teams and keep him there - please!
At WR, I think it's gonna be a dogfight for the last spot between Golden and Hubert. I like Hubert's speed and overall potential. And Golden is very solid in all phases and has been a steady ST's contributor.
Most of all though - I LOVE your idea of trading Stanton to Dallas! At this point, I honestly can't say I feel any better about him in live game action versus Barkley. So yes - let's see what the Cowgirlz are willing to offer!!

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Josh Weinfuss of ESPN just posted his 53 Man Roster projection and he has the Cardinals cutting* all of the following:

RB Kerwynn Williams
G Cole Toner
WR Chris Hubert
DE Josh Mauro*---he sees the Cardinals trading him
LB Lamar Louis
LB Tristan Okpalaugo
S Marqui Christian

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
Josh Weinfuss of ESPN just posted his 53 Man Roster projection and he has the Cardinals cutting* all of the following:

RB Kerwynn Williams
G Cole Toner
WR Chris Hubert
LB Lamar Louis
LB Tristan Okpalaugo
S Marqui Christian
What a joke..
Hahaha

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Mitch,

What does Andre Ellington gain by slamming his body into players to try and get a 1/2 yard, while risking injury and turnovers ?

I understand you wanting for a physical player, but at some point you have to rely on what the smart play is rather than trying to prove something that won't accomplish much. To be fair, the guy has been hurt for two straight season, I see it as EXTREMELY foolish to have a player that is not built for power to try and play the power game, and risk yet another injury.

What you see as "fear" (which is kinda silly, he is a NFL player and has been drilled a couple times on kick return and didn't flinch) I see as smart. Plus I would GUARANTEE Ellington going down to avoid contact is his coaches telling him to do that.

I, probably more than most, understand, and respect physical play, but I also understand to play to your strengths and play smart.

That is the one area I could not disagree with you more on, I really like the move to make Ellington the punt and kick return man.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score

RB Kerwynn Williams
G Cole Toner
WR Chris Hubert
LB Lamar Louis
LB Tristan Okpalaugo
S Marqui Christian

I think Toner and Christian are locks for the team... could come down to Kerywnn vs Taylor (and I think Taylor fits more needs as a 4th option at RB).. no idea on Hubert vs. Golden/Shipley/4th TE... Mauro could be a trade candidate or outlast Stinson... Okpalaugo - not sure, but seems like he'd make it over Riddick? Louis I think is a longshot.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Mitch,

What does Andre Ellington gain by slamming his body into players to try and get a 1/2 yard, while risking injury and turnovers ?

I understand you wanting for a physical player, but at some point you have to rely on what the smart play is rather than trying to prove something that won't accomplish much. To be fair, the guy has been hurt for two straight season, I see it as EXTREMELY foolish to have a player that is not built for power to try and play the power game, and risk yet another injury.

What you see as "fear" (which is kinda silly, he is a NFL player and has been drilled a couple times on kick return and didn't flinch) I see as smart. Plus I would GUARANTEE Ellington going down to avoid contact is his coaches telling him to do that.

I, probably more than most, understand, and respect physical play, but I also understand to play to your strengths and play smart.

That is the one area I could not disagree with you more on, I really like the move to make Ellington the punt and kick return man.

Of course, I would want Ellington to be smart and not have to take big hits...but did you see the Texans' Tyler Ervin on kickoff returns? The main reason why he busted a 50+ yard one was the superb speed he mustered getting through the initial wave of tacklers. At no point in Ellington's various returns yesterday did he threaten the Texans with speed. And they smelled it out and feasted on it. More so with each kickoff.

I had Ervin in several of my mocks for that very reason.

With Ellington's history of injuries, it is absolutely absurd to hand him the return chores. It would be just as absurd trying to run him between the tackles 15-18 times a game. His niche in the NFL is as a dual threat RB/WR who gets 8-10 touches a game. Get him out in space and let him do his thing.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
I think Toner and Christian are locks for the team... could come down to Kerywnn vs Taylor (and I think Taylor fits more needs as a 4th option at RB).. no idea on Hubert vs. Golden/Shipley/4th TE... Mauro could be a trade candidate or outlast Stinson... Okpalaugo - not sure, but seems like he'd make it over Riddick? Louis I think is a longshot.

I agree about Toner and Christian. BA just said in his presser that Toner has had two very good games in a row---and last week he did well in practice getting some snaps with the starters. BA said Evan Boehm is coming along nicely as well. He added that T John Wetzel showed improvement---and that the second team offensive line did a real good job versus the Texans' starters.

Josh Mauro has started the last two games and has been in on the first play each time. I think they legitimately like Mauro and would have a hard time trading him.

Okpalaugo is around the ball a lot. He's a physical tackler and drives through on his finishes. Plus, he's got the length they like on the edge.

BA said that Lamar Louis "had 4 tackles and made a name for himself."

BA also commended CB Cariel Brooks' consistency in coverage.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
With Ellington's history of injuries, it is absolutely absurd to hand him the return chores. It would be just as absurd trying to run him between the tackles 15-18 times a game. His niche in the NFL is as a dual threat RB/WR who gets 8-10 touches a game. Get him out in space and let him do his thing.

How in the friggin WORLD is this apparently lost on BA?????? :(

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
How in the friggin WORLD is this apparently lost on BA?????? :(

The reason is he plans on giving him at most like 5 - 10 plays a game. He is just hoping to get some use out of him. But so far he just doesn't look like a good return man.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
The reason is he plans on giving him at most like 5 - 10 plays a game. He is just hoping to get some use out of him. But so far he just doesn't look like a good return man.

Yea... but it still doesn't make any sense. The toll on the body from returning kicks and punts is massive. And for a due how has proven incapable of withstanding that type of impact on his body, it makes zero sense to have him back there.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Yea... but it still doesn't make any sense. The toll on the body from returning kicks and punts is massive. And for a due how has proven incapable of withstanding that type of impact on his body, it makes zero sense to have him back there.

What is this based on? He's in a contract year; I honestly don't care what the long-term toll on his body is going to be. If he's only going to get 5 touches (maybe) max in a game in the offense, is it that big a deal if he gets 10-12 additional touches per game on STs? If the actual toll of return duties was so great, we wouldn't have seen Peterson out there last year.

Heck, it seemed like Tim Brown was returning punts into his 40s.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
What is this based on? He's in a contract year; I honestly don't care what the long-term toll on his body is going to be. If he's only going to get 5 touches (maybe) max in a game in the offense, is it that big a deal if he gets 10-12 additional touches per game on STs? If the actual toll of return duties was so great, we wouldn't have seen Peterson out there last year.

Heck, it seemed like Tim Brown was returning punts into his 40s.

It's based on my own eyes watching and hearing the collisions returners are involved in. Ellington has been injured at least on two occasions that I recall, from non-contact occurrences. I don't see any reason why we should think that he would somehow be able to remain injury-free by being a returner.
As far as his "touches" go... Yea, there's been speculation from others on this board and now you about Ellington only getting 4-5 touches per game. I haven't heard BA or anyone else associated with the team make that claim. My own uninformed guess would be that on average, he would see more like 6-8 touches per game. Some out in the running game, and some in the receiving game. Smoke remains out and nobody knows when he'll be ready, not to mention how he'll play when he does come back. And while CJ is slated to be the main back-up for DJ, I can also see instances where Ellington will play that role from time to time... And I can also see instances where the team is not going to crush DJ early in the season with 25-30 touches per game, knowing they are going to need him fresh down the stretch and into the post season. I think with the Cards averaging 65 or so offensive plays per game, there should be plenty of opportunities to get the ball into Ellington's hands...

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I'm with K9 on this one. Our long term plans for Ellington consist of this year, and this year alone. He is going to want a shot at starting next year, and we will not be able to give him that. Try and get him in the game in whatever ways possible.

all that said, he doesn't look great in the return game, but we may not have a better option.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
In terms of this article, I agree with Mitch on several of these. Louis, Christian, and Toner all have earned a spot in my opinion. Louis plays ILB, and gives good special teams depth. Christian plays S (and it looks like we will be using a bunch of Ss) and provides special teams depth. Toner can play G and T along with Watford which matters a ton.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

I would try to trade Stanton to the Cowboys or some other team. I want Barkley to play the whole game this Thursday. Stanton is wildly inconsistent---and at this point in his career I don't want to hear about mechanics.

Mitch, I think you might have hit this out of the park outside of Stanton, and 3 nose tackles.

b8rtm8nn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Louis plays ILB, and gives good special teams depth.

I would reverse that and say Louis is making the final 53 based on his ST play and gives decent ILB depth. But overall, Mitch is probably solid on most of these, sans the Stanton trade dream. I think Hubert goes PS and they roll with 4 TEs. No one is going to claim Hubert off waivers.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score

for Maurice Claiborne?

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I would reverse that and say Louis is making the final 53 based on his ST play and gives decent ILB depth. But overall, Mitch is probably solid on most of these, sans the Stanton trade dream. I think Hubert goes PS and they roll with 4 TEs. No one is going to claim Hubert off waivers.

You can phrase it with Louis either way. He is good on teams and plays a position with little depth.

Hubert is closer to Nelson than anyone is admitting right now. We will carry 6 WRs. I believe we will also carry 4 TEs.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dappy1