Multiple Teams Wanted Goff

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/report-multiple-teams-called-rams-135519660.html

Contract was not a negative apparently.

That Stafford trade is caca

IF True, part B of the trade is easier. If you believe SF is going to figure out how to trade Jimmy G back to NE now, which many people believe, then part B is them getting another QB. And Detroit has the 7th pick. So if you're Detroit, you wait until the draft, if you can get a QB in the draft you like better than Goff, you draft him and trade Goff to SF, which is reportedly one of the teams who asked about Goff, after figuring out they could NOT get Stafford.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IF True, part B of the trade is easier. If you believe SF is going to figure out how to trade Jimmy G back to NE now, which many people believe, then part B is them getting another QB. And Detroit has the 7th pick. So if you're Detroit, you wait until the draft, if you can get a QB in the draft you like better than Goff, you draft him and trade Goff to SF, which is reportedly one of the teams who asked about Goff, after figuring out they could NOT get Stafford.

that literally makes no sense... Give up draft capitol to get a player that isn’t really any better then what you have? Could be argued he’s worse.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
that literally makes no sense... Give up draft capitol to get a player that isn’t really any better then what you have? Could be argued he’s worse.

They have the 7th pick. Say they like Fields and he's there at 7, they pick Fields, now they can either keep Goff one year to groom Fields, or trade Goff, to SF, for whatever SF is willing to give up. And they still have the Rams picks and their own to build around Fields.

Again it's out that Detroit doesn't intend to keep Goff, the notion that other teams wanted Goff helps make that happen. If nobody wanted him but Detroit, they can't trade him. They got an extra first rounder from the Rams to take on Goff, if they can now flip him to say the 49ers, for whatever pick, that's gravy.

As to why SF might want Goff, I have no idea beyond he's somewhat local, he does try to push the ball downfield, but he's turnover prone which Shanahan normally hates. What they don't like about Jimmy G is he won't throw the ball downfield, and when he does, he's turnover prone

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They have the 7th pick. Say they like Fields and he's there at 7, they pick Fields, now they can either keep Goff one year to groom Fields, or trade Goff, to SF, for whatever SF is willing to give up. And they still have the Rams picks and their own to build around Fields.

Again it's out that Detroit doesn't intend to keep Goff, the notion that other teams wanted Goff helps make that happen. If nobody wanted him

I can see why Detroit would 100% but not SF.... JG has a QB rating 10 points higher then Goff. For a guy that doesn’t throw downfield his YPA is a full yard higher then Goffs... SF giving up draft capitol to get an arguably worse player makes little sense to me.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can see why Detroit would 100% but not SF.... JG has a QB rating 10 points higher then Goff. For a guy that doesn’t throw downfield his YPA is a full yard higher then Goffs... SF giving up draft capitol to get an arguably worse player makes little sense to me.

Because they think they can get picks or players or both from NE for him. And because Shanny has decided there's a ceiling with Jimmy and he's tired of that ceiling. I think McVay is a very good coach but I think Shanahan is a better play caller, I think he believes Goff would out perform jimmy in his offense, more big plays. I am sure he'd rather have Watson, or Stafford, but I think given the choice he believes Goff is better than Jimmy. I suspect the main reason is Goff has missed one start due to injury in his NFL career, and Jimmy has one season in the NFL where he lasted more than 6 games. That one year was good, they won 13 games, but they lost the SB in large part because he failed to hit the big play that was wide open. I don't think Shanny ever forgot that. Then his injury plagued year this year I think was the final straw.

Goff is also 3 years younger

I don't like either guy mind you I just don't think SF believes they can get up high enough to draft their next qb for sure so they will have an option, and so will Detroit. if Detroit gets their QB in the draft, they will try and trade Goff and SF may be the ones coming after him if they don't get their QB in the draft, or some other way.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Detroit could pull off a masterstroke and trade Goff to another team, gaining even more draft capital.

Right, they are in rebuilding mode
They have to rack up more picks they can to add talent and getting their young qb
But don't know how much they can get from Goff at this point, after the trade the value dropped a bit

Last edited:

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
I don't understand why any NFL team would draft a Ohio State QB. Thirty eight years of failure.

Here is a list of them drafted since 1982
1982: Art Schlichter — 13 games, 0-6 as a starter, 1,006 yards, 3 TD, 11 INT
1987: Jim Karsatos — Never played an official down in the NFL
1988: Tom Tupa — 4-9 record as a starting QB, 3,420 yards, 12 TD, 25 INT — 873 career punts, 43.4-yard average
1992: Kent Graham — 81 games, 17-21 as a starter, 7,801 yards, 39 TD, 33 INT
1996: Bobby Hoying — 22 games, 3-9-1 as a starter, 2,544 yards, 11 TD, 15 INT
1999: Joe Germaine — 3 games, 0-0 as a starter, 136 yards, 1 TD, 2 INT
2002: Steve Bellisari — Never played an official down in the NFL
2004: Craig Krenzel — 5 games, 3-2 as a starter, 718 yards, 3 TD, 6 INT
2007: Troy Smith: 20 games, 4-4 as a starter, 1,734 yards, 8 TD, 5 INT
2012 (2011 supplemental draft pick): Terrelle Pryor — 3-7 record as a starting QB, 1,994 yards, 9 TD, 12 INT — 1,563 receiving yards, 7 TD
2016: Cardale Jones — 1 game, 0-0 as a starter, 96 yards, 0 TD, 1 INT
2019: Dwayne Haskins — 16 games, 3-10 as a starter, 2,804 yards, 12 TD, 14 INT

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I don't understand why any NFL team would draft a Ohio State QB. Thirty eight years of failure.

1988: Tom Tupa — 4-9 record as a starting QB, 3,420 yards, 12 TD, 25 INT — 873 career punts, 43.4-yard average
2012 (2011 supplemental draft pick): Terrelle Pryor — 3-7 record as a starting QB, 1,994 yards, 9 TD, 12 INT — 1,563 receiving yards, 7 TD
What a stupid post.
I guess teams should've drafted Shea Patterson in round 1 last year because Tom Brady and Jim Harbaugh went to Michigan.

The Bengals must've been completely out of their mind to take Joe Burrow last year. I mean, you have LSU's JaMarcus Russell and the OSU history combined with him.

And how could the Chargers have taken Justin Herbert with the past flops like Joey Harrington, Akili Smith, Kellen Clemens and Marcus Marriota from Oregon?

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What a stupid post.
I guess teams should've drafted Shea Patterson in round 1 last year because Tom Brady and Jim Harbaugh went to Michigan.

The Bengals must've been completely out of their mind to take Joe Burrow last year. I mean, you have LSU's JaMarcus Russell and the OSU history combined with him.

And how could the Chargers have taken Justin Herbert with the past flops like Joey Harrington, Akili Smith, Kellen Clemens and Marcus Marriota from Oregon?

Isnt so stupid, or at least is based in something statiscally correct with a great number of cases
What about the Alabama offensive linemen?
I tend to agree it was just bad luck but can't be totally underestimated those stats

Last edited:

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/report-multiple-teams-called-rams-135519660.html

Contract was not a negative apparently.

That Stafford trade is caca

Detroit could pull off a masterstroke and trade Goff to another team, gaining even more draft capital.

Just because teams wanted him, doesn't mean that his contract wasn't a negative.

If Detroit can somehow turn Goff to draft picks, then I will concede. Most teams are really cap strapped right now and adding Goff's contact would be suicide...

Last edited:

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We are never going to know. 49er sites are reporting they tried to get Stafford, they were willing to part with their first round pick to get him. They were trying to trade Jimmy G but everyone figured they will get Stafford, and then wind up cutting Jimmy so why trade for him. Then the Rams undercut the 49ers and got Stafford, gave up more. NOw the 49ers are less likely to cut Jimmy, unless they get a QB first, because they think with Stafford gone, it might help them trade Jimmy. Again everyone seems to think the team they'll deal with is the Pats, probalby not for much but they think if they can get anything it's better than cutting him. And of course if they don't get a QB, they will keep Jimmy until they find a better option.

Most of those same sites say the Goff to 49ers talk is nonsense, they want to unload Jimmy's contract they won't then take on Goff's.

Some sites are saying the 49ers are going to throw everything they can at trying to get Watson, which makes sense it's just how much actually can they trade. Which is why if they can't trade him they will just cut Jimmy, the way his deal was set up they apparently save about 20 million if they cut him, money they would need to make room for Watson, or any other QB they sign or trade for.

Most 49er sites seem to think Pats just wait them out, 49ers cut Jimmy, and he signs with the Pats. The 49ers either draft a QB, or go all in to try and get Watson.

I know they have their #1 this year and it's pretty good, beyond that there's no reason to expect their pick to be high, especially if they got Watson, so you'd think the Texans would demand the moon from them in trade, not just picks but players.

It is interesting though all the reports SF and Rams were in cap hell and the Rams get Stafford and apparently the 49ers can easily take on Watson's salary by cutting Jimmy, and they will likely cut Dee Ford too

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Carolina was offering #8 so they had to overpay. Means nothing if he hits the next level with McVay though.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
That would be a fascinating game of musical QBs.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agreed. Said the same thing in another thread. Send Goff to 9ers, get draft capital and one of the backup qbs, Mullen/Beathard ( or Jimmy G. ) because Chase Daniels and David Blough aren't starters. Draft QBs from the likes of Fields, Lance, Trask, Jones who will all be available from #7 on down the line.

Irony is that Goff would be back in Ram's division under the tutelage of Kyle Shanahan.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score

I'm sure you're not truly serious about this, but it only takes one guy to break the trend. Considering most of these guys came under different coaches, I'm not going to worry about a school's history as long as the tape, measurables, and production work out.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
I'm sure you're not truly serious about this, but it only takes one guy to break the trend. Considering most of these guys came under different coaches, I'm not going to worry about a school's history as long as the tape, measurables, and production work out.

My belief is some colleges seem to produce players at positions that translate to the NFL better than others. For instance, look at Penn State, they have historically been able to send linebackers to the NFL who have good careers and at times RBs. They used to call PSU Linebacker U. Quarterbacks from PSU are a different story and are spotty at best, Hackenberg being the latest example. Kerry Collins was the last QB from PSU to find success in the NFL. I would be very skeptical of taking a QB from PSU and I am a homer for them. Other colleges seem to produce WRs that do well in the NFL. Michigan if I'm not mistaken seems to send Offensive linemen that translate well to the NFL. I don't think Ohio State is a college that can deliver QBs that translate well to the NFL and historically they haven't. You would think that under different coaches they would break that trend yet they haven't been able to do so. Ohio State certainly has provided the NFL with a number of good secondary players.

I'm not saying any college pumps out talent at certain positions year after year but every few years or so you can expect certain colleges send players to the NFL that just seem to find success in the NFL more than others. I think there are tendencies out there that have some lineage to them.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
About a month left of the season, I started talking to people there. What I kept hearing was, ‘He keeps making the same mistakes over and over.’ A guy literally said to me, ‘He’s making mistakes that a first year quarterback shouldn’t be making in the NFL and he’s still making those same mistakes now.’ Sean had a pretty negative opinion of him down the stretch. From what I understood internally there, it was Sean looking at his offense (after the Super Bowl) and going, Im going to constantly be needing to change and update my scheme and what I do to keep it ahead of the curve. He looked at Goff and said, this guy has to change with me. He’s got to come with me on this journey and he felt like Goff just wasn’t.”

“(McVay) felt like (Goff) was falling off and McVay couldn’t bring him along. What I was told, when Sean was off it and said, ‘This isn’t the right guy for the offense. We’re not going to win a Super Bowl with this quarterback.’ That was the end of the conversation. Then it was, ‘Now we got to trade this guy.'”

https://www.downtownrams.com/single-post/2021/02/03/los-angeles-rams-charles-robinson-explains-why-rams-soured-on-goff/