Movies 2023 and beyond

Beaver

Maximum Effort
Reaction score
Should we expect some original, well-written stories in the next few years since the entertainment industry was in quarantine for most of 2020? Lots of alone time = lots of time to brainstorm ideas.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Should we expect some original, well-written stories in the next few years since the entertainment industry was in quarantine for most of 2020? Lots of alone time = lots of time to brainstorm ideas.

none of that matters. the studios will still turn out the same tired drek, sequels and adaptations and reboots. writers have no power to control the creativity of the game.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
none of that matters. the studios will still turn out the same tired drek, sequels and adaptations and reboots. writers have no power to control the creativity of the game.
Glad to hear you're frustrated by this with the studios. I've been saying for years now that the studios are creatively bankrupt. It seems like they're scared to take a chance on anything these days. Someone I know keeps saying that producers need to go back to the '80s with hookers and blow. ;)

Do you think stuff like Black Widow underperforming (looking like it'll lose money) will have any effect on the studios? I was hoping it and other big money movies bombing would but then I woke up today to CBS/Paramont+ giving Kurtzman a $150m new deal.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Glad to hear you're frustrated by this with the studios. I've been saying for years now that the studios are creatively bankrupt. It seems like they're scared to take a chance on anything these days. Someone I know keeps saying that producers need to go back to the '80s with hookers and blow. ;)

Do you think stuff like Black Widow underperforming (looking like it'll lose money) will have any effect on the studios? I was hoping it and other big money movies bombing would but then I woke up today to CBS/Paramont+ giving Kurtzman a $150m new deal.
It’s all about money. Black Widow didn’t match expectations, but that doesn’t mean much with the MCU.

John Carter was a huge bomb several years ago but that didn’t stop Disney from continuing to make huge blockbusters.

The studios ARE creatively bankrupt. But you have to understand that audiences are the ones that are creatively bankrupt. If audiences didn’t show up to huge tent pole movies, things like Fast and Furious wouldn’t have 9 films.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
It’s all about money. Black Widow didn’t match expectations, but that doesn’t mean much with the MCU.

John Carter was a huge bomb several years ago but that didn’t stop Disney from continuing to make huge blockbusters.

The studios ARE creatively bankrupt. But you have to understand that audiences are the ones that are creatively bankrupt. If audiences didn’t show up to huge tent pole movies, things like Fast and Furious wouldn’t have 9 films.

That's part of the reason I get frustrated when people here talk about the horrible movies they go to see and then defend with, "eh, it's good popcorn fare." Because settling for that kind of crap is what keeps the crap getting made. i either want a great movie or a B-movie classic when I'm paying. Maybe good action fare--emphasis on good. Even still, yes, I've been the hypocrite and have liked the popcorn fare on occasion. so, yes, I'm also part of the problem sometimes :)

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score

I think we're going to be seeing more of it than just Black Widow too. My gut's saying that Shang-Chi and Eternals aren't going to great either. I'm hoping a little streak of them might change things. We'll see what happens.

I agree with you though that the audience is a big part of the problem. I wish the public had better taste. I'm doing my part by not going to see most of those movies. The MCU movies are really the only ones I had been seeing and I'm honestly about done with the MCU. I really haven't been into any of them since Guardian's 2. The stupidity in BW pretty much put the nail in them for me.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I think we're going to be seeing more of it than just Black Widow too. My gut's saying that Shang-Chi and Eternals aren't going to great either. I'm hoping a little streak of them might change things. We'll see what happens.

I agree with you though that the audience is a big part of the problem. I wish the public had better taste. I'm doing my part by not going to see most of those movies. The MCU movies are really the only ones I had been seeing and I'm honestly about done with the MCU. I really haven't been into any of them since Guardian's 2. The stupidity in BW pretty much put the nail in them for me.
I’m definitely a bit more enthusiastic about Shang-Chi. To me it looks like a Hong Kong action movie but without the cheesiness and having a big budget. Liken it to Hard Boiled and John Woos old output. It does have a lot of cgi, but it also has Tony Leung, who, you guessed it, was actually in Hard Boiled.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m definitely a bit more enthusiastic about Shang-Chi. To me it looks like a Hong Kong action movie but without the cheesiness and having a big budget. Liken it to Hard Boiled and John Woos old output. It does have a lot of cgi, but it also has Tony Leung, who, you guessed it, was actually in Hard Boiled.

and I can’t wait for Eternals. Chloe Zhao is an amazing director. Super curious to see how she works within the Marvel system and if she brings something new to the table.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
and I can’t wait for Eternals. Chloe Zhao is an amazing director. Super curious to see how she works within the Marvel system and if she brings something new to the table.
The trailer for it didn't do much for me. I didn't think it looked that good from it. Zhao looks like she's a good up and coming* director but with it being an MCU movie it's not like a normal directing gig. She doesn't have full control over the movie and really only directs the non-action parts. It's almost a waste using her on a Marvel movie but it's probably good for her to have on her resume. One thing that's going to be interesting to see is how the whole China thing effects her career. Will she get more huge budget movies like this if their release is blocked in China? Hopefully it doesn't and she can make some good, big movies.

*up and coming due to number of titles. I know she won the Oscar this year. That's not too shabby for her 3rd movie.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose