Movie of the Day: #265 Requiem for a Dream

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMDB Link

You must be registered for see images attach

Plot Summary
Amazon.com
Employing shock techniques and sound design in a relentless sensory assault, Requiem for a Dream is about nothing less than the systematic destruction of hope. Based on the novel by Hubert Selby Jr., and adapted by Selby and director Darren Aronofsky, this is undoubtedly one of the most effective films ever made about the experience of drug addiction (both euphoric and nightmarish), and few would deny that Aronofsky, in following his breakthrough film Pi, has pushed the medium to a disturbing extreme, thrusting conventional narrative into a panic zone of traumatized psyches and bodies pushed to the furthest boundaries of chemical tolerance. It's too easy to call this a cautionary tale; it's a guided tour through hell, with Aronofsky as our bold and ruthless host.
The film focuses on a quartet of doomed souls, but it's Ellen Burstyn--in a raw and bravely triumphant performance--who most desperately embodies the downward spiral of drug abuse. As lonely widow Sara Goldfarb, she invests all of her dreams in an absurd self-help TV game show, jolting her bloodstream with diet pills and coffee while her son Harry (Jared Leto) shoots heroin with his best friend Tyrone (Marlon Wayans) and slumming girlfriend Marion (Jennifer Connelly). They're careening toward madness at varying speeds, and Aronofsky tracks this gloomy process by endlessly repeating the imagery of their deadly routines. Tormented by her dietary regime, Sara even imagines a carnivorous refrigerator in one of the film's most memorable scenes. And yet... does any of this have a point? Is Aronofsky telling us anything that any sane person doesn't already know? Requiem for a Dream is a noteworthy film, but watching it twice would qualify as masochistic behavior. --Jeff Shannon

My Take
In another imdb.com Top 250 selection (#48), Director Darren
Aronofsky (Pi) assembles a finely talented cast and uses some awesome cut scenes to drive home the staggering affects of drugs. In fact, imdb states that most movies contain 600 to 700 cuts, with Requiem for a Dream containing over 2,000.

I have always been a sucker for Jennifer Connelly (when she had b00bies) and Leto and Wayans are very solid. The true star of this movie is Ellen Burstyn, who although nominated for a Best Actress Oscar, was robbed by that no-talent horseface, Julia Roberts in Erin Brockovich. Whatever.

Blockbuster doesnt carry the Director's Cut of this film, so you will have to look elsewhere. The scene that tips the scale to unrated is a pretty graphic sex scene near the end where Connelly's character is performing acts with another girl and a device for money, as a group of men cheer. Trust me, it's not as hot as it sounds.

A-Bomb

jenna2891

potential get-away driver: go!
Reaction score
on the run from johnny law... ain't no trip to cle
this movie is so good. whenever people want to know what it's about, i always say that it starts out and you think you're at rock bottom in the movie, and then it takes you so far down that the beginning looks good. but that has to be hastily followed up with, "but, no. see it, it's great, i swear."

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
This was an awesomely disturbing movie. Jared Leto's arm made me sick to my stomach.

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Saw this tonight. Wow.

Pretty graphic and makes me NOT want to do drugs EVER lol.

The mom's character was the saddest. Great performaces all around though.

Jared Leto is hot.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
thirty-two said:
Saw this tonight. Wow.

Pretty graphic and makes me NOT want to do drugs EVER lol.

The mom's character was the saddest. Great performaces all around though.

Jared Leto is hot.

You needed to see a movie to convince you of that?

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shane H said:
You needed to see a movie to convince you of that?

lol of course not!

i've never done drugs, and i don't intend to.

this just re-affirmed why I dont :D

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
thirty-two said:
lol of course not!

i've never done drugs, and i don't intend to.

this just re-affirmed why I dont :D

Damnit spun should have reaffirmed that for you! :mad:

OP
OP
A

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, I havent seen this, but I just added it to my Blockbuster list. :)

A-Bomb

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
abomb said:
IMDB Link

You must be registered for see images attach

Plot Summary
Amazon.com
Employing shock techniques and sound design in a relentless sensory assault, Requiem for a Dream is about nothing less than the systematic destruction of hope. Based on the novel by Hubert Selby Jr., and adapted by Selby and director Darren Aronofsky, this is undoubtedly one of the most effective films ever made about the experience of drug addiction (both euphoric and nightmarish), and few would deny that Aronofsky, in following his breakthrough film Pi, has pushed the medium to a disturbing extreme, thrusting conventional narrative into a panic zone of traumatized psyches and bodies pushed to the furthest boundaries of chemical tolerance. It's too easy to call this a cautionary tale; it's a guided tour through hell, with Aronofsky as our bold and ruthless host.
The film focuses on a quartet of doomed souls, but it's Ellen Burstyn--in a raw and bravely triumphant performance--who most desperately embodies the downward spiral of drug abuse. As lonely widow Sara Goldfarb, she invests all of her dreams in an absurd self-help TV game show, jolting her bloodstream with diet pills and coffee while her son Harry (Jared Leto) shoots heroin with his best friend Tyrone (Marlon Wayans) and slumming girlfriend Marion (Jennifer Connelly). They're careening toward madness at varying speeds, and Aronofsky tracks this gloomy process by endlessly repeating the imagery of their deadly routines. Tormented by her dietary regime, Sara even imagines a carnivorous refrigerator in one of the film's most memorable scenes. And yet... does any of this have a point? Is Aronofsky telling us anything that any sane person doesn't already know? Requiem for a Dream is a noteworthy film, but watching it twice would qualify as masochistic behavior. --Jeff Shannon

My Take
In another imdb.com Top 250 selection (#48), Director Darren
Aronofsky (Pi) assembles a finely talented cast and uses some awesome cut scenes to drive home the staggering affects of drugs. In fact, imdb states that most movies contain 600 to 700 cuts, with Requiem for a Dream containing over 2,000.

I have always been a sucker for Jennifer Connelly (when she had b00bies) and Leto and Wayans are very solid. The true star of this movie is Ellen Burstyn, who although nominated for a Best Actress Oscar, was robbed by that no-talent horseface, Julia Roberts in Erin Brockovich. Whatever.

Blockbuster doesnt carry the Director's Cut of this film, so you will have to look elsewhere. The scene that tips the scale to unrated is a pretty graphic sex scene near the end where Connelly's character is performing acts with another girl and a device for money, as a group of men cheer. Trust me, it's not as hot as it sounds.

A-Bomb

Just watched it. Thought it was pretty good. I could only find the edited version however.

I would definitely put this and spun in the same category. Just different drugs. You see it yet Abomb?

jenna2891

potential get-away driver: go!
Reaction score
on the run from johnny law... ain't no trip to cle
Shane H said:
Just watched it. Thought it was pretty good. I could only find the edited version however.

I would definitely put this and spun in the same category. Just different drugs. You see it yet Abomb?

i don't know... spun left me with a creepy feeling all over, and it was depressing. rfad was also depressing, but in a strangely beautiful way.

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Classic in evrey sense. How bout Shawn Wayans performance? Everybody knows him for being a clown, but he really put it down with a serious performance in this flick. Great music too.

OP
OP
A

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shane H said:

You dont miss much with the director's cut other than a few extra clips of Jennifer C. and the double-ended d. I havent seen this cut.

I went and picked up Spun just now at Blockbuster with my online coupon. I'll post my thoughts when I get it watched. ;)

A-Bomb

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
abomb said:
You dont miss much with the director's cut other than a few extra clips of Jennifer C. and the double-ended d. I havent seen this cut.

I went and picked up Spun just now at Blockbuster with my online coupon. I'll post my thoughts when I get it watched. ;)

A-Bomb

:thumbup:

OP
OP
A

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
abomb said:

Thanks Shane, very nice flick. I was never a fan of Jason Schwartzman, but he was very good in this movie as was Leguizamo. Junkie or not, I wouldnt kick Brittany Murphy out of bed. IMDB says that there were 5,000 edits, which really help add to the tweaking feeling, IMO. Anyway, thanks again, now I will go try to wash the scenes with Mena Suvari out of my head. ;)

A-Bomb

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
abomb said:
Thanks Shane, very nice flick. I was never a fan of Jason Schwartzman, but he was very good in this movie as was Leguizamo. Junkie or not, I wouldnt kick Brittany Murphy out of bed. IMDB says that there were 5,000 edits, which really help add to the tweaking feeling, IMO. Anyway, thanks again, now I will go try to wash the scenes with Mena Suvari out of my head. ;)

A-Bomb

Awesome abomb I'm glad you liked it. :thumbup: