Movie-A-Day #324: Total Recall

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Didn't get to do a full 7 movies this week, but wanted to slip in at least one more for the week...

You must be registered for see images attach

Amazon.com Synopsis/Review:
This science fiction blockbuster from 1990 began its production life as a very different movie than the one that was released. An adaptation of the Philip K. Dick short story "We Can Remember It for You Wholesale," Total Recall was originally conceived of with Richard Dreyfuss starring as a Walter Mitty-like character who experiences a variety of artificially induced fantasies. The movie we know is a mega-budget action epic set on Mars. Arnold Schwarzenegger plays a normal working man who discovers that his entire reality has been invented to conceal a plot of planetary domination. Oscar-winning special effects and violent action propel the twisting plot, in which Arnold manipulates his manipulators in a world of dazzling high technology. Director Paul Verhoeven (Robocop) indulges his usual penchant for gratuitous bloodshed, but the movie has enough cleverness to rise above its excesses.

Memorable one-liners, gratuitous violence, 3-breasted women and Arnold Scwarzenegger costarring with Sharon Stone: Does it get much better than that?

This film marked Schwarzenegger's renaissance, his opportunity to get away from ho-hum cliched action movies and move into something that has a better story and a chance to show some acting chops--leading to movies like Terminator 2, True Lies and the horribly-received Last Action Hero.

But hidden behind the violence--stabbings, tearing off arms, bodies being torn apart by a giant stone driller--there is a very strong and sometimes complicated story about the nature of reality and the ability of the human brain to differentiate between that reality and imagination.

This is a rare action/sci-fi movie--one that can be intellectual, or simply just a good time watching Arnold tear the hell out of anyone that gets in his way. Including Sharon Stone.

nathan

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great movie. Not as good as The Running Man IMO, but still among Arnold's best.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The three boob scene was an awesome experience for me as a 12 year old boy

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
Ryanwb said:
The three boob scene was an awesome experience for me as a 12 year old boy

Yeah, me too, that was weird. Great movie. I probably watched it 5 times back in the day. Haven’t seen it in a long time though. I may have to revisit it.

OP
OP
Chaplin

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I saw this for the first time in Heerlen, the Netherlands. Like all their movie theaters, they had a bar in it, and there was an intermission for about 5-10 minutes where everyone went out to the lobby and got a drink and came back to their seats.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Total Recall (2012)

They are releasing a remake of this next year with Colin Farrell?

WTF?

directed by Len Wiseman... he of awful "Die Hard 4: Begin The Download!" fame.

this movie will be atrocious.

in the immortal words of Doug Quaid:

Lenny... SCREW YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!!!

Cardinals.Ken

That's Mr. Riff-Raff to you!
Reaction score
directed by Len Wiseman... he of awful "Die Hard 4: Begin The Download!" fame.

this movie will be atrocious.

in the immortal words of Doug Quaid:

SCREW YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU BENNNNYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!

:bim:

I can't see anyone, in their right mind, thinking that this would make money.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I saw this thread and had to go download the movie from iTunes. I loved it. I loved it so much I had the video game for Nintendo or whatever gaming system I had at the time. I also loved Running Man, cheesy soundtrack and all. The more I view the world and America from my seat, the more Running Man looks like prophecy.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard