Mostly good, a little bad

Card'em

All Star
Reaction score
For the most part the Cardinals looked very good in their first outing of the preseason. They executed well on offense with both 3rd string and 4th string quarterbacks and were also sound defensively throughout the night. Here's a few quick thoughts on the "pleasant surprises" and the "unpleasant disappointments".

Pleasant Surprises
1. Victor Dimukege was a beast at outside linebacker.
2. Keontay Ingram can do what Connor does...run hard for tough yards and catch the ball out of the backfield.
3. Christian Matthew had a few nice plays in coverage. He may make the roster.
4. Both rookie offensive lineman looked good. Hayes at left guard and Smith at center both were good in run blocking and held up in pass protection.
5. Guarantano looked poised and has a live arm. Both he and McSorely looked okay as third string QB's.

Unpleasant Disappointments
1. Zaven Collins looked confused before the snap and a little slow to react.
2. Marco Wilson looked lost on the long pass that he gave up.
3. Prater missing two extra points is a concern, as well as Andy Lee's short punt.
4. Cameron Thomas looks strong, but lacked quickness and speed, and Sanders looked like the lightweight that he is. Both will take some time to develop.

Not bad for our first preseason game with few penalties and the good outweighing the bad. Both of our lines looked strong and we made plays on both sides of the ball. Our seconday is still a major concern and looks to be the biggest issue on this team.

BurqueCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I agree with the Dimukege praise. He looked good in the moments I saw.
Unfortunately, I also agree about Thomas and Sanders. I still can’t believe they didn’t address the loss of Chandler Jones thru FA. To hinge the position on a couple of 3rd round picks is ridiculous. Hopefully Gardeck can do something with the opportunity

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
If I'm the Cardinals I'm looking for ways to keep Dimukeje and Ingram.

While it was preseason game one, Thomas and Sanders don't look ready for snaps right now, while Dimukeje already has NFL game experience and looks ready to play. Maybe keep Golden, Gardeck, Kennard, Dimukeje, Sanders, and Thomas?

Ingram just looks like an NFL back and he brings more power to the table than the likes of Eno and Ward.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Loved what I saw from Ingram. He can move the pile & has great hands. Did Williams even play? The fact he didn’t leads me to believe he’s a lock to make the team. Way too early to say that Thomas & Sanders won’t be able to contribute. Thomas has a nice motor. McSorley played well & has always been elusive. But, his passes float. I like the kid Guarantano’s arm strength far more. We DEFINITELY need corner help!!

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll wait to see more from him than a good performance in preseason game one along with the performance of those rookies before considering anything at all.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

While it was preseason game one, Thomas and Sanders don't look ready for snaps right now, while Dimukeje already has NFL game experience and looks ready to play. Maybe keep Golden, Gardeck, Kennard, Dimukeje, Sanders, and Thomas?

Ingram just looks like an NFL back and he brings more power to the table than the likes of Eno and Ward.

I agree about Ingram. Ward played well too.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Eno didn’t do a damn thing to impress… especially after all the OTA and TC hype…

I was hoping he would show more. Let the chips fall where they may.

Ingram looks to be a keeper.

OP
OP
Card'em

Card'em

All Star
Reaction score
Despite all the preseason hype, Eno could be the odd man out. I assume that Williams is on the roster and Keontay Ingram looked really good last night, so it's between Eno and Ward for the last roster spot. Ward is valued for his special team play, and he looked good at running back last night, which doesn't bode well for Eno.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Despite all the preseason hype, Eno could be the odd man out. I assume that Williams is on the roster and Keontay Ingram looked really good last night, so it's between Eno and Ward for the last roster spot. Ward is valued for his special team play, and he looked good at running back last night, which doesn't bode well for Eno.
That's not the way it works.

They have moved Eno up to second string based on his play in practice. No chance he is getting cut, and I would argue it's crazy to judge him off one game.

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score

Definitely agree here, hopefully Thomas can slot in at DE in some capacity so we can keep all of these guys on the active roster.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
For the most part the Cardinals looked very good in their first outing of the preseason. They executed well on offense with both 3rd string and 4th string quarterbacks and were also sound defensively throughout the night. Here's a few quick thoughts on the "pleasant surprises" and the "unpleasant disappointments".

Pleasant Surprises
1. Victor Dimukege was a beast at outside linebacker.
2. Keontay Ingram can do what Connor does...run hard for tough yards and catch the ball out of the backfield.
3. Christian Matthew had a few nice plays in coverage. He may make the roster.
4. Both rookie offensive lineman looked good. Hayes at left guard and Smith at center both were good in run blocking and held up in pass protection.
5. Guarantano looked poised and has a live arm. Both he and McSorely looked okay as third string QB's.

Unpleasant Disappointments
1. Zaven Collins looked confused before the snap and a little slow to react.
2. Marco Wilson looked lost on the long pass that he gave up.
3. Prater missing two extra points is a concern, as well as Andy Lee's short punt.
4. Cameron Thomas looks strong, but lacked quickness and speed, and Sanders looked like the lightweight that he is. Both will take some time to develop.

Not bad for our first preseason game with few penalties and the good outweighing the bad. Both of our lines looked strong and we made plays on both sides of the ball. Our seconday is still a major concern and looks to be the biggest issue on this team.
Kliff and staff looked good coming out of the gates :)

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
McSorley is a tough out.

Cut him and I bet someone picks him up on their active roster. He's a guy that would be ideal as Murray's primary back up since they play similarly.

Doubt it. We have a #2 that can win with this team, as proved last season.

We need the roster spot, so I'd cut him and sign him to the PS.

HairZach

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I saw on a Bengals board that a few of their 2nd/3rd string OL that we were destroying had to start for them during the Superbowl last year.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson