Most "Under-Rated" Bands Of All-Time?

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is inspired by Ryanwb's thread on "sell-outs", but obviously with a different twist....

Which bands to you are the most "under-rated" of all-time? Gomez, Fear Factory, Monster Magnet, Sebadoh, Sevendust, Type-0 Negative, and Stabbing Westward are a few of recent memory that immediately comes to mind.....

Mr.Dibbs

Cap Casualty
Reaction score
Warrior Soul

Dr. Octogon

Rollins Band

LA Guns later albums

Mogwai

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I might be shot for saying this, and I'm more than a little biased, but I honestly think Hanson is way under-rated.

People just can't get past the Mmmbop thing.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
thirty-two said:
I might be shot for saying this, and I'm more than a little biased, but I honestly think Hanson is way under-rated.

Let me think....ummmm NO :thumbdown

O

LD @ F.O.H.
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
A band from Phoenix from the eighties, ICON. I am partial to them because I was their LD and I owe my career to them.

A band from the late seventies, early eighties, CITY BOY. They released five albums, four of which were produced by Robert John Lange.
For those of you who don't know who Robert John (Mutt) Lange is, he produced AC/DC Back in Black, Def Leppard Pryomania, numerous multi- platinum albums. Defined the metal guitar sound, and drum sound, in particular bass drum sounds. These sounds are still in existence today, thanks to him.
CITY BOY, was a great band on their own. Great vocals, great rhythm section, intelligent music abd lyrics, killer guitar player (Mike Slammer).
The interesting thing about City Boy and Mutt Lange is the reolution and birth of a producer and sounds that are still the standard today.
SIDE NOTE... Mutt Lange is Shania Twain's husband, and in my opinion solely responsible for her career, you can hear CITY BOY licks in her music, as well as anything Mutt has done.
You have to search for their stuff but it is out their and well worth the effort.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
O said:
A band from Phoenix from the eighties, ICON. I am partial to them because I was their LD and I owe my career to them.

A band from the late seventies, early eighties, CITY BOY. They released five albums, four of which were produced by Robert John Lange.
For those of you who don't know who Robert John (Mutt) Lange is, he produced AC/DC Back in Black, Def Leppard Pryomania, numerous multi- platinum albums. Defined the metal guitar sound, and drum sound, in particular bass drum sounds. These sounds are still in existence today, thanks to him.
CITY BOY, was a great band on their own. Great vocals, great rhythm section, intelligent music abd lyrics, killer guitar player (Mike Slammer).
The interesting thing about City Boy and Mutt Lange is the reolution and birth of a producer and sounds that are still the standard today.
SIDE NOTE... Mutt Lange is Shania Twain's husband, and in my opinion solely responsible for her career, you can hear CITY BOY licks in her music, as well as anything Mutt has done.
You have to search for their stuff but it is out their and well worth the effort.
I think Eddie Kramer helped out on a ccouple of their albums. (I was a huge Kiss fan and Kramer was real involved with Kiss)

I think Kramer also helped out with WASP.

Beaver

Maximum Effort
Reaction score
1. Alice Cooper
2. Deep Purple
3. Black Label Society
4. Silverchair
5. U.P.O
6. Soul Coughing (everyone knocks me cuz I like these guys) :mad:
7. Machines of Loving Grace
8. Seven Mary Three
9. Helmet
10 Steve Earl

Man, I could go on forever.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ryanwb said:
Ah man! You must have to shower twice everyday
Three times, but the third is just for other guilty pleasures performed IN the shower. It's a vicious cycle.

O

LD @ F.O.H.
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
jkf296 said:
I think Eddie Kramer helped out on a ccouple of their albums. (I was a huge Kiss fan and Kramer was real involved with Kiss)

I think Kramer also helped out with WASP.

Yes, we spent three months with Eddie in Bearsville New York.
He was fired when recording was finished and Ron Nevison did the final mix.

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BendCardfan said:
4. Silverchair

I loved "Frog Stomp" and "Freak Show" but their newer albumb "Diorama" or Dio whatever was SO completely not silverchair of the past. But I still like 'em.. just their older stuff.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
thirty-two said:

I couldn't agree more. Funny thing is...we could play some of their more recent stuff and people would be into it, even Ryan, until you told them/him it was Hanson. :D

:shrug: