Most iconic play in Arizona sports history.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
not this Suns fan. It was nice to see, but the writing was on the wall in that game that the entire series was over and we were going to blow a 2-0 lead.

That's why it's on my list and not yours, or Shutd. :D

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just because the game wasn't on the line doesn't mean it wasn't iconic. I'm with Bert in that it was an iconic slam. It is still talked about to this day, which makes it iconic IMHO.

chickenhead

Reaction score
Gonzos hit, not close.

There is nothing quite like game 7, world series, against the best closer of all time, against one of the best baseball teams of all time.

Just off the top of my head, here's how I would list mine in terms of Arizona sports moments.

1. Gonzos hit
2. Larry's TD against Pittsburgh in the Superbowl
3. Jacke's FG against San Diego to FINALLY put the Arizona Cardinals in the playoffs.
4. Randy Johnsons perfect game
5. Tim Hightower TD to put Cardinals in the Superbowl
6. Larry TD last week
7. Dansby TD to beat GB
8. KJ dunking on Hakeem
9. UofA national championship (pick a moment)
10. Barkley's dagger against San Antonio

Honorable mention: Nash 3 to beat Dallas, Tim Thomas 3 over Lakers to save season, ASU Rose bowl when Plummer scrambled and scored to take lead.

I know the Rattlers and Mercury have won the most championships, but those just aren't ICONIC moments, but still worth mentioning that they have done all that.

Glad you mention #3 and #5. As a Cardinals fan, these were two things I'd never experienced the likes of.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Gonzo by a mile. Not sure why Jaelen Strong is anywhere near this list, Plummer scramble in Rose Bowl is a more iconic ASU moment even if like Fitz in SB the game resulted in a loss.

There really wasn't that one moment in UA's '97 run or else that wouid be top 5. Every UA and ASU fan in the state that were around remember Cecil's INT and Jefferson's catch as much as any other play on that list but college plays will always be lower in the pecking order to pro simply due to less eyeballs.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Gonzo's hit by a long shot. I can remember nearly every detail of that moment and I have a terrible long term memory.

thephoenixson28

All Star
Reaction score
Gonzo's hit by a long shot. I can remember nearly every detail of that moment and I have a terrible long term memory.

Same here. I remember my dad getting pissed off cuz he thought we lost. I got mad and turned the TV back on and told him we are coming back. That's when the Gonzo hit happened.

TheHopToad

Россия отстой!
Reaction score
So the Jael Mary is supposedly the best play in ASU history?

I can only judge by the excitement that I felt at the time, and it was very short lived. This play SHOULD have been the most iconic in ASU history and even to me now is better than the Jael Mary last year.

IMO, this play is the ASU equivalent to Larry's TD in the Superbowl. I thought they were going to be the National Champions.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited by a moderator:

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Gonzos hit, not close.

There is nothing quite like game 7, world series, against the best closer of all time, against one of the best baseball teams of all time.

Just off the top of my head, here's how I would list mine in terms of Arizona sports moments.

1. Gonzos hit
2. Larry's TD against Pittsburgh in the Superbowl
3. Jacke's FG against San Diego to FINALLY put the Arizona Cardinals in the playoffs.
4. Randy Johnsons perfect game
5. Tim Hightower TD to put Cardinals in the Superbowl
6. Larry TD last week
7. Dansby TD to beat GB
8. KJ dunking on Hakeem
9. UofA national championship (pick a moment)
10. Barkley's dagger against San Antonio

Honorable mention: Nash 3 to beat Dallas, Tim Thomas 3 over Lakers to save season, ASU Rose bowl when Plummer scrambled and scored to take lead.

I know the Rattlers and Mercury have won the most championships, but those just aren't ICONIC moments, but still worth mentioning that they have done all that.

Glad to say that I was in attendance for 2, 3, 5, 7, 8, & 10.

Gonzo's hit is one of baseball's most iconic moments, not just Arizona's top sports moment.

This state needs another national championship if this 14-year-old play is still #1.

Last edited:

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Another is Dragic's 20 point 3rd quarter in San Antonio that pretty much iced the SWEEP of the Spurs.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Here was the poll in question. I can only account for Fitz winning the poll based on an extreme recency bias. Fitz's catch was still an incredible play though and if we do win a Super Bowl it will definitely be remembered but probably not as much as the play that does win it for us.

https://twitter.com/MattyJ12News/status/688870898955321344

This poll is a joke.

1) Gonzo's hit was off arguably the best closer in MLB history and sealed the deal on what was arguably the greatest World Series in baseball history. Like I said earlier, that hit was iconic for for the entire sport.

2) I forgot about the Gar Herr shot, although it came in a losing effort. It probably should sneak into the Top 10.

3) Jael Mary? Really? If this were to get any consideration, then the Hill Mary with UofA vs Cal should also be discussed, which capped off a 36 point 4th quarter rally. If we're going to include Arizona football, then the Leap by the Lake with Ortege Jenkins should be nominated. Either way, I'm not putting any of these plays in the top 10, and maybe not even top 25.

bratwurst

on double secret probation
Reaction score
Most iconic sports play in Phoenix history?

Paxson's NBA championship series winning 3 pointer.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Sums it all up. All the teams that got close, that should have won just to have your heart ripped out at the edge of victory.

Last edited by a moderator:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard