Most bizarre end of half ever! Almost.

Redmark

Registered
Reaction score
One second remaining in the half, Pats leading 14-6. Brady heaves ball into South end zone (where I'm sitting :) ). James Darling makes a beautiful over-the-shoulder catch and stands there congratulating himself. The fans, including myself tell him run Darling run and by gosh, does he ever. A poor Patriot receiver gets whiplashed head over heels by his own player diving to make a tackle on the blazing Darling. Fifteen yards further downfield, our Darling is hit along the sidelines and drops the ball. Now is the interesting part.

All attention by refs seems to shift to the Patriot player dying along the sidelines at the 40. A Cardinal DB, #27 I think picks up the prize at the NE 35 and continues matriculating it towards the end zone, when he is whistled for insensitive behavior towards the dying Patriot.

This wildest never to be seen highlight goes totally unreported and ignored.

Imagine a 103 yard interception return by 2 players with 1 second remaining on the clock. This would have topped James Darling's 95-yard interception return for a TD last week against the Rams, that was called back. Ah, what could have been, but the hustle and energy is definitely there with some of our defensive players.

OP
OP
R

Redmark

Registered
Reaction score
Did anyone else see this play ...

and wonder if it shouldn't have been reviewed. I'm not convinced the ball went out of bounds. The booth should have reviewed it! They certainly had time while the trainers were attending to Branch.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Redmark said:
and wonder if it shouldn't have been reviewed. I'm not convinced the ball went out of bounds. The booth should have reviewed it! They certainly had time while the trainers were attending to Branch.

Stout and I were wondering the same thing. I think we got shafted...AGAIN!

Azlen

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Redmark said:
If a rep blew the whistle when they thought the ball went out of bounds then that play would not be reviewable.

OP
OP
R

Redmark

Registered
Reaction score
Azlen said:
If a rep blew the whistle when they thought the ball went out of bounds then that play would not be reviewable.

So the continuation of the play never occurred. Does anyone know why coaches challenges are not allowed in the final 2 minutes. They could make it so you lose the TO regardless of the outcome.

What I would like to know is did the ref make the right call?

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score
That's two weeks in a row with questionalbe halftime endings. At St Louis a Cardinal player clearly downed Player's punt at the Rams 1 yard line with at least 3 seconds on the clock. the refs didn't whistle it dead right away and the half ended. The Rams should have been forced to run a play at their 1 yard line.

Reaction score
Redmark said:
One second remaining in the half, Pats leading 14-6. Brady heaves ball into South end zone (where I'm sitting :) ). James Darling makes a beautiful over-the-shoulder catch and stands there congratulating himself. The fans, including myself tell him run Darling run and by gosh, does he ever. A poor Patriot receiver gets whiplashed head over heels by his own player diving to make a tackle on the blazing Darling. Fifteen yards further downfield, our Darling is hit along the sidelines and drops the ball. Now is the interesting part.

All attention by refs seems to shift to the Patriot player dying along the sidelines at the 40. A Cardinal DB, #27 I think picks up the prize at the NE 35 and continues matriculating it towards the end zone, when he is whistled for insensitive behavior towards the dying Patriot.

This wildest never to be seen highlight goes totally unreported and ignored.

Imagine a 103 yard interception return by 2 players with 1 second remaining on the clock. This would have topped James Darling's 95-yard interception return for a TD last week against the Rams, that was called back. Ah, what could have been, but the hustle and energy is definitely there with some of our defensive players.

Man I totally missed that play... with 0:04 seconds I figured the Pats sit on the lead, I was already heading to the halftime meet! :p

Azlen

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Redmark said:
So the continuation of the play never occurred. Does anyone know why coaches challenges are not allowed in the final 2 minutes. They could make it so you lose the TO regardless of the outcome.

What I would like to know is did the ref make the right call?
They wanted to make sure that all of the reviews in the final two minutes didn't cost the team a time out for a challenge. There really shouldn't be a situation where there is a blown call, the coach wants it challenged and the booth doesn't have them look at it. But even though it shouldn't happen, it sometimes does.
It would not have mattered in this case though. Once the ref blows the whistle the play is over and anything that happens after that cannot be reviewed.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
CardLogic said:
Man I totally missed that play... with 0:04 seconds I figured the Pats sit on the lead, I was already heading to the halftime meet! :p

Most people missed it because they were waiting in line at a concession stand.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I may be mistaken, but I believe that there was a penalty for illegal block in the back that was assessed during the return. That's why the rest of the play never happened, and the half expired.

OP
OP
R

Redmark

Registered
Reaction score
No you're not sir!

kerouac9 said:
I may be mistaken, but I believe that there was a penalty for illegal block in the back that was assessed during the return. That's why the rest of the play never happened, and the half expired.

New England Patriots at 00:04
1-10-NE48 :)04) (Shotgun) T.Brady pass incomplete to D.Givens.
2-10-NE48 :)01) (Shotgun) T.Brady pass intended for D.Givens INTERCEPTED by J.Darling at ARZ -7. J.Darling to NE 42 for 65 yards (D.Graham). FUMBLES (D.Graham), ball out of bounds at NE 42. Penalty on ARZ-D.Dockett, Illegal Block Above the Waist, declined. D. Branch injured on play.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Redmark said:
New England Patriots at 00:04
1-10-NE48 :)04) (Shotgun) T.Brady pass incomplete to D.Givens.
2-10-NE48 :)01) (Shotgun) T.Brady pass intended for D.Givens INTERCEPTED by J.Darling at ARZ -7. J.Darling to NE 42 for 65 yards (D.Graham). FUMBLES (D.Graham), ball out of bounds at NE 42. Penalty on ARZ-D.Dockett, Illegal Block Above the Waist, declined. D. Branch injured on play.

:D

There you go. What a waste of server space this thread has been. :wave:

schel

This is our year!
Reaction score
kerouac9 said:
What a waste of server space this thread has been. :wave:
I have a quick and easy solution to that...

Hey Shane, you're not a real fan! :D

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
kerouac9 said:
:D

There you go. What a waste of server space this thread has been. :wave:

No the only waste of server space was your rude post. :D

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics