Monty…

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They did look like they quit. But before they quit, they looked confused, scared and rudderless.

For me, the injury to Chris Paul doesn't explain this. I'm waiting for more.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There is no excuse for the Suns performance in game 7.

I do think the Mavericks learned the Suns weaknesses by studying tape from the Pelicans series.

Who studied the tape from the Bucks series where their coach had a front row seat.

Reaction score
That’s where we have different point of view.

I don’t think the Mavs followed any blue print to beat us I see the Suns imploding. We quit.

It’s not like we magically got figured out after 2 years.
I suspect this too, because the Suns did take back control in game 5--then inexplicably gave it back up. They surely could have found a way to take control again, had they wanted to badly enough.

This team was somewhat like Charles Barkley infamously refusing to maintain good weight, practice as hard as teammates, or play defense. He just didn't care as much as he should have. And neither did this team, regarding their problems defeating the Mavericks. The Mavericks are clearly underrated, but they weren't better.

Opposing teams must be laughing at the Suns right now. What in the world was going on?--I'm eager to find out.

Last edited:

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Maybe someone Steve Nash’d CP3’s wife during the birthday celebration lol

Game7 we were only down 5 with half of the first quarter left to play. The lack of timeout and adjustments doomed us.

AZ Steve I agree that cp3 saved us during the regular season in those close games, him and book.

I did hear that cp3 made comments like “game 7 isn’t life or death..” or something to that affect. Can anyone confirm this?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not a Kidd fan but IMO Jason is a better strategist and a better tactician than Monty, we were effectively leaderless once Chris was no longer able to play his game.

Even if this is true, I don't see that much disparity in talent to account for the blowout in game 7.

The Suns as a team didn't show up. I believe there has to be more to the story.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There is no excuse for the Suns performance in game 7.

I do think the Mavericks learned the Suns weaknesses by studying tape from the Pelicans series.

Explain game 6 where got blown out aswell.

Matter fact 4 of our last 5 losses were by an average of 20 points.

Something is rotten in Denmark

I think it’s all going to come to light in the next few weeks.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Maybe someone Steve Nash’d CP3’s wife during the birthday celebration lol

Game7 we were only down 5 with half of the first quarter left to play. The lack of timeout and adjustments doomed us.

AZ Steve I agree that cp3 saved us during the regular season in those close games, him and book.

I did hear that cp3 made comments like “game 7 isn’t life or death..” or something to that affect. Can anyone confirm this?

Yeah he said it’s not life or death it’s just basketball.

Well remember it wasn’t just CP3. The Suns had 5 of the top 6 in 4th quarter efficiency

CP3, Booker, Bridges, Crowder and Ayton all in the top 6. That’s how dominate this team was

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think the players simply didn’t buy into Monty’s strategy anymore because they kept getting killed doing the same offensive and defensive schemes. Then the players stopped playing for each other.

Reaction score
Back to
Yeah he said it’s not life or death it’s just basketball.
I neither agree nor disagree with his statement, I feel ambivalent about it. On one hand, no, it's not life or death; and I don't want him to let competitive ruthlessness turn him into a bully like Michael Jordan or Kevin Garnett. On the other hand, is that really necessary anyway? All he should feel required to do is earn his huge contract by giving his full effort. As a former president said, "Why not the best?" Why does that require treatng the game like life or death, as some of the great players did?

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the players simply didn’t buy into Monty’s strategy anymore because they kept getting killed doing the same offensive and defensive schemes. Then the players stopped playing for each other.
Yeah...I didn't see much adjustment at all the last two. I don't know if it's fair to say a team doesn't buy into a coach's strategy during the heat of a series. After? I can certainly buy that going forward. I guess time will tell.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Back to

I neither agree nor disagree with his statement, I feel ambivalent about it. On one hand, no, it's not life or death; and I don't want him to let competitive ruthlessness turn him into a bully like Michael Jordan or Kevin Garnett. On the other hand, is that really necessary anyway? All he should feel required to do is earn his huge contract by giving his full effort. As a former president said, "Why not the best?" The career of Tim Duncan showed us that being a championship contender for years doesn't require treating a game like life or death and making yourself a jerk.

Uh Chris Paul has been a jerk his entire career. He’s made his entire career about basketball being 1st that’s his reputation.

There’s a lot of ex teammates who don’t like him because he’s so demanding. That’s why this is so odd

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Uh Chris Paul has been a jerk his entire career. He’s made his entire career about basketball being 1st that’s his reputation.

There’s a lot of ex teammates who don’t like him because he’s so demanding. That’s why this is so odd
It sounds to me like the locker room morale completely fell apart, recently. I suspect we'll learn why before too much longer.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Monty is a mediocre coach and we won because CP3 is an incredible coach on the floor and was probably calling the shots in the huddle and in practice too.

Had CP3 never been signed here, we'd probably have been a borderline playoff team the past two years and Monty would have been praised for his leadership skills and his role in taking us from the basement to the top stair leading to the first floor. But he wouldn't have sniffed a COY award. And we probably wouldn't be hearing calls for his job either.
This is pretty accurate imo.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I’d rather have Willie Green honestly at this point. Monty seems like a good regular season coach and that’s it, no to little adjustments the whole playoffs doomed us! Kidd made Monty his bitch in this series!

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I’d rather have Willie Green honestly at this point. Monty seems like a good regular season coach and that’s it, no to little adjustments the whole playoffs doomed us! Kidd made Monty his bitch in this series!
I wonder if willie is really a better tactician (seemed like it) or he just had an enormous advantage knowing our personnel and offensive and defensive sets. Possessing that insider information was a tremendous asset for him.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
I wonder if willie is really a better tactician (seemed like it) or he just had an enormous advantage knowing our personnel and offensive and defensive sets. Possessing that insider information was a tremendous asset for him.
Well, the latter is definitely an asset if your opponent absolutely refuses to change a single bit of their strategy. In fact, knowing that Monty is stubborn to a fault might have been the most useful of all insights that Willie possessed.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Explain game 6 where got blown out aswell.

Matter fact 4 of our last 5 losses were by an average of 20 points.

Something is rotten in Denmark

I think it’s all going to come to light in the next few weeks.

The Suns poor performance applied to game 6 as well, not just game 7. I meant to mention it but inadvertently left it out.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave