MNF: Damar Hamlin

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
That’s savage. Sure he wasn’t an army Ranger? Haha

I had a patient who sustained this exact phenomenon while playing rugby over a decade ago. He was hit in the center of the back near the shoulder blades. Luckily for Damar, the docs were right there to recognize and treat appropriately. Provided there were no other problems, he should make a full recovery. I don’t even think it would be any concern if he played again or not, provided it was on R on T phenomenon as is suspected and nothing else.

Interesting. When I asked him why he thought of that, he related a similar incident told by his Dad that occurred in a friendly rugby game in England during WWII.

Last edited:

Cards_Campos

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
That’s savage. Sure he wasn’t an army Ranger? Haha

I had a patient who sustained this exact phenomenon while playing rugby over a decade ago. He was hit in the center of the back near the shoulder blades. Luckily for Damar, the docs were right there to recognize and treat appropriately. Provided there were no other problems, he should make a full recovery. I don’t even think it would be any concern if he played again or not, provided it was on R on T phenomenon as is suspected and nothing else.
Depends on how long his heart wasn’t beating. They are saying he could have brain damage. So he is definitely not out of the woods. Also if anyone can recall. What did they do when Reggie Lewis collapsed on the court and the died. Was that game suspended or moved? How did that play out I can’t remember

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Depends on how long his heart wasn’t beating. They are saying he could have brain damage. So he is definitely not out of the woods. Also if anyone can recall. What did they do when Reggie Lewis collapsed on the court and died? Was that game suspended or moved? How did that play out I can’t remember
Reggie Lewis died during an off-season practice at Brandeis University.

speedy

the medic
Reaction score
Depends on how long his heart wasn’t beating. They are saying he could have brain damage. So he is definitely not out of the woods. Also if anyone can recall. What did they do when Reggie Lewis collapsed on the court and the died. Was that game suspended or moved? How did that play out I can’t remember
To be more precise, it’s how long it wasn’t beating before chest compressions were initiated. That’s what we consider to be “down time.” If it was less than 4-6 mins, the prognosis is pretty good. My understanding is they were able to quickly identify the arrest and initiate resuscitation rather immediately.

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Come on man. Repurcussions? For a tweet?

You want a guy to lose what feeds his family for a tasteless tweet?
To be fair BC, it was a VERY tasteless tweet. If you're going to be on social media in this day and age, you are very much accountable for what you say. He doesn't just represent himself, he represents ESPN now by what he says and you KNOW he's expendable in that regard if the heat is turned up on the network over this. I'm not necessarily in the camp that he has to lose his job, but if he is fired then, oh well. I will feel no sorrow over that happening.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
To be fair BC, it was a VERY tasteless tweet. If you're going to be on social media in this day and age, you are very much accountable for what you say. He doesn't just represent himself, he represents ESPN now by what he says and you KNOW he's expendable in that regard if the heat is turned up on the network over this. I'm not necessarily in the camp that he has to lose his job, but if he is fired then, oh well. I will feel no sorrow over that happening.

Any heat would be manufactured faux outrage as is usually the case on Twitter. It's the adult equivalent of school yard snitching "Billy Pierce said Carl Smith's mom is so fat that people yell "Taxi!" when she wears a Yellow raincoat" and you pass it along until Carl hears it because we all want to see Carl fight Billy.

What you do is what everyone did for the previous 300,000 years of humanity when people said something dumb and say "You're as asshat" and move on.

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Any heat would be manufactured faux outrage as is usually the case on Twitter. It's the adult equivalent of school yard snitching "Billy Pierce said Carl Smith's mom is so fat that people yell "Taxi!" when she wears a Yellow raincoat" and you pass it along until Carl hears it because we all want to see Carl fight Billy.

What you do is what everyone did for the previous 300,000 years of humanity when people said something dumb and say "You're as asshat" and move on.
Fair enough, but unfortunately as we've seen in recent times, social media can get you canned. It's part of the deal of having your words easily disseminated to the masses. It's actually why I detest it all together, even though I use it myself.

OP
OP
Syracusecards

Syracusecards

DA's pass went that way
Reaction score

It’s more about corporate dollars. If ESPN doesn’t can or seriously punish this guy, they’re opening the door to other employees feeling empowered to say whatever they want while representing ESPN. Financially, this doesn’t make sense because you’d be pissing away a lot of $ dealing with every instance that comes up. Zero tolerance is zero tolerance for a reason. And the reason is, and always will be, $.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Come on man. Repurcussions? For a tweet?

You want a guy to lose what feeds his family for a tasteless tweet?
I've worked for companies that would have fired me for much less on social media, and had very strict social media policies... and I didn't have a Twitter account with my company's name in my handle.

If the guy has interest in feeding his family, he should think twice before he spits a hot take onto a public platform and an audience of millions. We're not talking someone making a dumb comment at a bar here.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I've worked for companies that would have fired me for much less on social media, and had very strict social media policies... and I didn't have a Twitter account with my company's name in my handle.

If the guy has interest in feeding his family, he should think twice before he spits a hot take onto a public platform and an audience of millions. We're not talking someone making a dumb comment at a bar here.

I think you need to get some perspective.

He basically said "Hey, get on with the game you don't can games for other injuries" which is at worst, tasteless. It's dumb but it's nowhere near a fireable offense.

He didn't publish his white supremicist manifesto.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Nobody should lose their job over a tweet.

Yes, he's an A-hole. But if everyone was fired over momentary lapses of judgement then most of the world would be out of work.
When people show you who they are…

It’s not like he would never work again but in all likelihood this ESPN gig was a dream job for him so if he loses it I am good with that. Everything has repercussions…everything

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
When people show you who they are…

Dude tweeted an offhand comment it took him 20 seconds to bash out.

Imagine if people thought your character was represented by your dumbest comments.

I'm more offended that Demar Hamlin is trending when his name is Damar.

Last edited:

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Do any of the older board members remember when Chuck Hughes of the Detroit Lions died on the field against the Bears? Pretty sure he was a back up WR. He returned to the huddle after a play & just dropped. Pretty sure it was back in the early 70’s. The NFL didn’t have the protocols in place back then, so Chuck had zero chance of survival. Praying that Damar continues to fight and survives this horrible nightmare.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I think you need to get some perspective.

He basically said "Hey, get on with the game you don't can games for other injuries" which is at worst, tasteless. It's dumb but it's nowhere near a fireable offense.

He didn't publish his white supremicist manifesto.
Alright, maybe don't fire the guy, but probably at least suspend him and smack him over the head with a company manual that's titled "common sense things to not say on social media."

Like @AZCB34 said though, this is likely a dream job for him and it's not like anyone is saying he should never work again, but clearly he's too dumb to be protective of said dream job.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do any of the older board members remember when Chuck Hughes of the Detroit Lions died on the field against the Bears? Pretty sure he was a back up WR. He returned to the huddle after a play & just dropped. Pretty sure it was back in the early 70’s. The NFL didn’t have the protocols in place back then, so Chuck had zero chance of survival. Praying that Damar continues to fight and survives this horrible nightmare.
Yes, I watched that game (lived in Illinois and was a Bears Fan at the time.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Dude tweeted an offhand comment it took him 20 seconds to bash out.

Imagine if people thought your character was represented by your dumbest comments.

I'm more offended that Demar Hamlin is trending when his name is Damar.
There are people who have determined y character based on dumb comments. Same goes for you. It happens but that doesn’t mean it should simply be brushed away. Wars have started over dumb comments.

The hills you chose to defend are perplexing at times.

Oh well.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
So late in the season. I don't think they make up for it at all. Unless you push the post season a week and not leave a bye week between conference championships and the SB.

I could see a scenario where the NFL considers this game a win for both teams and just cancels it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard