Miller once again does it again!

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you really think what Alford did at Iowa with Pierce is the same as skirting some NCAA academic rules to get a kid into college or taking jabs at AAU coaches, a helicopter parent, and a rival's pathetic attendance is the same I don't know what to tell you. Alford has nuked every bridge everywhere he has been including his own alma mater. It'll be the same when he leaves/gets fired at UCLA too.

And you still haven't explained how Miller allegedly not getting the most out of Jerrett, Tarc, and Ashley is some sort of indictment on his coaching ability while Alford gets a free pass for Parker, Wears, Isaac Hamilton, etc. Reality is Alford has had just as much talent at his disposal and still loses to teams like Monmouth so the notion that Miller has underachieved vs him is laughable.

Where have I ever once defended what Alford did at Iowa? Again, I would have NEVER hired him. UCLA doesn't ask me which coach to hire.

But he didn't do that at UCLA, he did it at Iowa, if he'd done it at UCLA he wouldn't be the head coach at UCLA today, the boosters would have run him out of town on a rail.

As for the extension stuff that's silly, I see Arizona fans blasting Alford for agreeing to an extension at UNM and then bolting for UCLA before he signed it. I agree sounds bad doesn't it. Well Sean Miller SIGNED a 10 year extension at Xavier in April of 2008, one year later he left Xavier for Arizona. And if you recall, the AD at Xavier was quoted as saying when he left town on Sunday he was told he still had his head coach, Sean Miller, he found out the next morning he no longer had his head coach. that's how it's done coaches move up and they are almost always still under contract when doing it. At least Alford hadn't signed his contract at UNM.

My issue with what Alford did at Iowa is simple, he decided that Pierce was good and he had to have him so he was going to do whatever he could to try and keep Pierce on the team. He put winning games above morality. Not nearly as bad but taking a kid you KNOW cheated to get through HS, and playing him is again putting winning games above morality. Alford publicly defended Pierce, Miller publicly defended PJC. What Pierce did is MUCH worse, but you can't take the moral high ground on this and just pretend that Miller is "skirting some academic rules". He has a kid that he knows for a fact didn't really earn the grades that are on his transcript, I'm still surprised UA didn't force PJC to redshirt last year and prove he could do college level work, they had literally nothing on his transcript they could trust.

He took a kid that he knows for a fact cheated repeatedly. Unless we believe that PJC is the worst cheater in the history of cheating and only did it 3 times and got caught every time, clearly the kid was doing it regularly. UA knows this, and they still admitted him because he's good at basketball.

Miller has gone after Leaf twice now in less than 2 weeks. First when he was talking about markannen and then suddenly he's talking about a kid not playing well at a tryout and not wanting to put the time in to get better. Gee I wonder if he means TJ Leaf. But just in case we're not sure he tells us that Markkanen is not rail thin and needing to get much stronger to compete in college, wonder who that was directed at? but to make completely sure we know, he also talks about kids who are supposed to be good shooters but when you look at the stats they actually shot 27%. Guess what, if you look at Max Preps under TJ Leaf, he shot 27% from 3, as a 14 year old HS freshman. That's how petty Sean Miller is being he's blasting a kid for his 3 point percentage as a 14 year old.

All because Leaf dared to decommit and commit to Miller's conference foe.

I would also submit the comments about the crowd and why would kids commit to schools who don't sell out were directed at 3 kids. TJ Leaf, Jaylen Hands, and Ivan Rabb. all of whom committed the same sin, not committing to Sean Miller. Hands is currently 16.

I have no problem with rivalry stuff, I laughed when Enfield said his comments but he was not talking about HS age kids. I keep seeing UA fans say he's not calling them out by name, everyone knows who he's talking about so that's a pretty silly disclaimer.

Parker is leading the country in rebounding so far this year, he's not goign to be a pro, 6'8' C's don't make the NBA, but he's improved every year at UCLA. I thought his first UCLA team underachieved but last year he did an ok job he had a very short roster and basically had 3 scholarship guards on the team.

I love how when they were at UCLA you blasted the Wears constantly, overrated, soft etc, now they're an example of bad coaching because they made NBA rosters(briefly) and were McD's All Americans. So when they were playing against UA they were garbage, but now you want to make a point you're essentially claiming they were really good players and just coached poorly?

Nobody is arguing Steve Alford is a choirboy but neither is Sean Miller. When ALford talks about UCLA and pace he's not just saying hey Arizona plays slower than we do, he's trying to convince kids in LA that UCLA doesn't play grind it out Howland ball anymore, he's not bashing Arizona he's saying that other guy is gone, I'm the coach and I give players freedom(too much IMO). Miller went beyond that.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Bah, everyone needs to stop crying. Coaches are going to bash each other, other programs, and kids they get jilted by. They're all basically corrupt to some degree. It's all about winning. To cry foul in collegiate sports is just downright stupid at this point.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bah, everyone needs to stop crying. Coaches are going to bash each other, other programs, and kids they get jilted by. They're all basically corrupt to some degree. It's all about winning. To cry foul in collegiate sports is just downright stupid at this point.

So what are some other recent examples of a head coach blasting recruits who didn't pick their school.

Calipari does it, Coach K tried to ruin Bazz's college career, can't really think of any others. Privately or to recruits no problem at all, publicly it is a line most coaches don't cross.

Last edited:

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
So what are some other recent examples of a head coach blasting recruits who didn't pick their school.

Calipari does it, Coach K tried to ruin Bazz's college career, can't really think of any others. Privately or to recruits no problem at all, publicly it is a line most coaches don't cross.

Recruiting is a nasty game. How often did Olson admonish guys like Tarkanian on the trail, and vice versa?

Catlover

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Recruiting is a nasty game. How often did Olson admonish guys like Tarkanian on the trail, and vice versa?

Wasn't Tark responsible for the Midnight Lute nickname or was that generated by UNLV fans?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

IMO that was a little bit different. Olson was telling recruits parents not to go to UNLV because of all the drugs and hookers around the program(ironic now with Louisville). Tark got mad when one of his recruits picked Lute and told him what Lute had convinced his parents about UNLV. He felt he had the kid(Tom Tolbert) and then Lute came in at the last second and got him.

With Leaf, Miller has known for months he wasn't getting him, they didn't lie to him and tell him they were coming.

I have no problem with schools recruiting kids who are verballed, they're non binding and if the kid was firmly committed, he wouldn't listen to other schools anyways.

I don't see what he thinks he gained by blasting Leaf, I guess if Jaylen Hands changes his mind and wants to come to UA now Miller will refuse because he's verballed to UCLA?

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Jon Rothstein Verified account
‏@JonRothstein
Ohio State is no longer recruiting Kobi Simmons, sources told @CBSSports. Makes college decision on Saturday. All signs point to Arizona.

If Miller can land Simmons and Jackson, wow.

TJ

Reaction score
Jon Rothstein Verified account
‏@JonRothstein
Ohio State is no longer recruiting Kobi Simmons, sources told @CBSSports. Makes college decision on Saturday. All signs point to Arizona.

If Miller can land Simmons and Jackson, wow.

Simmons has been waffling for months. He's had like a dozen Final 3s. Even if he gives a verbal on Saturday, I won't believe it until he actually signs his LOI in April.

If he sticks with Arizona, it's a big coop, especially it it helps sway Jackson to Tucson.

Last edited:

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I can't think of too many recruits that were as flashy as Kobi Simmons. Gordon as a dunker but he wasn't as smooth. Maybe Nick Johnson but Simmons looks to have much better handles. This year's team is solid but not the most entertaining product Arizona has had recently. I can't even imagine how exciting a corr of Jackson/Trier/Simmons would be not too mention Smith Jr. Then Kadeem Allen becomes a great combo guard off the bench. Getting Ristic back would be a must though.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
UA just hosted 4-star PF Harry Froling of Australia but he is scheduled to visit CU & SMU by the end of next week.

Also, I've read SG Rawle Alkins has UA back on his list but I doubt they can land Simmons and him.

Last edited:

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
UA just hosted 4-star PF Harry Froling of Australia but he CU & SMU by the end of next week.

Also, I've read SG Rawle Alkins has UA back on his list but I doubt they can land Simmons and him.

Kyle Singler clone?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=O5fxmYgk3ck

TJ

Reaction score
UA just hosted 4-star PF Harry Froling of Australia but he is scheduled to visit CU & SMU by the end of next week.

Alkins is an attention *****, much like Simmons. Alkins wont go to Arizona even without Simmins.

I think UofA gets the verbal commit from Kobi on Saturday. Signing in April is a different story.

Froling should be UofA bound, but who knows.

All I care about is Josh Jackson.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Official. If JJ also comes I could see Trier leaving for the NBA. If he stays we're looking at a top-5 team.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great athlete, he's better than Simon but he's not a PG he's an athlete.

he was very highly rated until the summer when going up against other elite PG's it became obvious he's not really a PG outside of the AAU setting.

Elite athlete though, jumps out of the gym.

Very weird 2 days ago a friend who is a huge UA fan said the site he follows the big insider was saying UA doesn't even want Simmons the kid is listing UA but we're not really interested. Clearly that was wrong.

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Official. If JJ also comes I could see Trier leaving for the NBA. If he stays we're looking at a top-5 team.

Trier is not going to enter the draft. Miller can go with 3 guards if he wanted to. Playing time won't be an issue, he'll make sure those guys will get enough playing time. A month ago it did not look good for this recruiting class and now it could be a top-10.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Froling is going to be tough to get. Gershon talked about him on BRO at one point he said UCLA had looked at him but everyone thinks he's going to SMU because he has 2 older sisters who attend SMU.

He apparently likes Colorado a great deal too. So if Miller gets him it was a really good recruitment to do so, the kid appears SMU bound.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Always like hearing about east coast visits this time of year. I hadn't even heard of Rawle Alkins before Simmons committed. Hopefully it wouldnt affect anything regarding JJ if SM closes the deal with Rawle.

Last edited:

TJ

Reaction score
Always like hearing about east coast visits this time of year. I hadn't even heard of Rawle Alkins before Simmons committed. Hopefully it wouldnt affect anything regarding JJ if SM closes the deal with Rawle.

Likely won't, but in the event JJ picks MSU or goes to China, if Alkins, Simmons, and Markk comprise our recruiting class, it'll still be a coup.

The goal remains to go all-in on JJ, though.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Likely won't, but in the event JJ picks MSU or goes to China, if Alkins, Simmons, and Markk comprise our recruiting class, it'll still be a coup.

I thought JJ's mom has been real clear he's NOT going to China? Is that rumor popping up again?

TJ

Reaction score
I thought JJ's mom has been real clear he's NOT going to China? Is that rumor popping up again?

It still lingers around like a fart in church and will until a) he signs or b) he comes out and makes it clear he's not going overseas. Not sure how much substance it holds because of mom's desire for her son to go to school, but we'll see.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It still lingers around like a fart in church and will until a) he signs or b) he comes out and makes it clear he's not going overseas. Not sure how much substance it holds because of mom's desire for her son to go to school, but we'll see.

Yeah awhile back there were rumors that several teams were backing off because of his academics. His mom was pretty ticked off and made it very public that his GPA was like 3.5 at his prior school, was even higher at his current school and that he was about to take the standardized test. Shortly after she announced he had a qualifying score and flat out insisted he was going to college.

Just surprised to see people still think otherwise, obviously he's good enough if it was allowed, he would go straight to the NBA. But most of the kids who look at other options are doing so because they have some other issue, grades, took money etc. Jackson doesn't seem to fall into any of those categories.

He's either going to play with a bunch of buddies at MSU, or be on a pretty talented young Arizona team so it's not like he doesnt have options.

I really like Jackson great prospect but I think a large reason I like him is he seems completely disinterested in Kentucky.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
UA was in on Alkins at the beginning of the year but Alkins dropped them a few months ago. But I guess after having a talk with Miller at an AAU tournament he put UA back on his list. Impressive of Miller to get back in on him this late in the game even more impressive to get a visit. However, I think he ends up at St. John's as he is a NYC kid and his good friend is already committed. NC State is the other school experts feel he may commit to as he is playing at Word of God Christian Academy in NC.

That 3 man class would be amazing, that 4 man class would be unreal.

Yeah awhile back there were rumors that several teams were backing off because of his academics. His mom was pretty ticked off and made it very public that his GPA was like 3.5 at his prior school, was even higher at his current school and that he was about to take the standardized test. Shortly after she announced he had a qualifying score and flat out insisted he was going to college.

Just surprised to see people still think otherwise, obviously he's good enough if it was allowed, he would go straight to the NBA. But most of the kids who look at other options are doing so because they have some other issue, grades, took money etc. Jackson doesn't seem to fall into any of those categories.

He's either going to play with a bunch of buddies at MSU, or be on a pretty talented young Arizona team so it's not like he doesnt have options.

I really like Jackson great prospect but I think a large reason I like him is he seems completely disinterested in Kentucky.

Obviously he would be he best player on next year's UK squad but he will have to share time / shots with their 3 other Top 10 commits not including anyone that stays in school so I can see why he wouldn't want to go there.

MSU hasn't exactly been pipe lining players into the NBA with the exception of Randolph and Green no one has set the league on fire. Of course, Izzo has never had the kind of player Jackson is.

UA could feature him next year but then again he will be the featured player wherever he goes.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
If Arizona gets JJ and you hypothetically add Ray Smith I would take those 4 guys over UK's incoming class. Duke could possibly have the top-2 picks in next year's draft so their class is also sick.