Messi to Inter Miami

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Well.... there went my plans for a fall trip to Barcelona. :cry:

regardless, this should be a coup for the MLS who are giving up some revenue to make this happen. Hopefully he plays the back half of this year at least. Miami is currently in the basement and a very boring watch even for MLS standards.

As a Barca fan, this one hurts. I've always been a Euro snob for world football and this news seems like Emmitt Smith coming to the Cardinals to me. Sad stuff. Hopefully he reaches some great heights (MLS heights that is) the next year or two.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Pele was REALLY big back in my day. HUGE! It basically made soccer a news item in the US, when no one ever paid attention before. But yes, I have been lucky to see Messi play, and I was not disappointed. Guy sucks in 2 to 4 defenders on just him when he has the ball. At least the match I watched. We bitched about ticket prices going up here when KD was traded here. Just wait to see those Miami ticket prices! Any club that plays Miami this year on their home pitch, just sold out that game!!

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Sad to see him in semi retirement when he can still compete on the highest level.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Sad to see him in semi retirement when he can still compete on the highest level.
I think it was money. The clubs that wanted him, just couldn't afford it. Also, living in Miami for an international celebrity, that's not too bad at all. I did want to see him in the Premier League, but most of the top teams are capped out, and Man U has failed with their trying top stars like Ibrohimovic and Renaldo.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I think it was money.
If it were just money, he'd be hanging with Ronaldo and Benzema in Saudia Arabia. He wanted to go back to Barcelona, but there were too many complications with their financial position and he is still angry with how they treated him.
The clubs that wanted him, just couldn't afford it. Also, living in Miami for an international celebrity, that's not too bad at all. I did want to see him in the Premier League, but most of the top teams are capped out, and Man U has failed with their trying top stars like Ibrohimovic and Renaldo.
Only Barcelona. Teams all over Europe and in the Prem would have bent over backwards to meet his wage demands, but he made it very clear that the last couple years have been hard on his family, and if he were to remain in Europe it would be at Barcelona. (Straight from Messi)

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
If it were just money, he'd be hanging with Ronaldo and Benzema in Saudia Arabia. He wanted to go back to Barcelona, but there were too many complications with their financial position and he is still angry with how they treated him.

Only Barcelona. Teams all over Europe and in the Prem would have bent over backwards to meet his wage demands, but he made it very clear that the last couple years have been hard on his family, and if he were to remain in Europe it would be at Barcelona. (Straight from Messi)
That was the team I was thinking of. I heard there was some mild flirtation with PSG. I think he's doing Miami, because it's Miami.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
This is huge for MLS and Miami(as if they need any more sports glory atm). the biggest get ever for that league. Beckham is close and probably came over too soon, but he’s no Messi.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
These MLS team names *smh* The inferiority complex is strong!

I'm glad Newcastle aren't in for him. Best in the world on his day, but he'd be a really dumb buy for the Mags at this stage in his career and the team's development.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I knew he would go to the MLS one day. Thought it would be after he took oil money from Saudi Arabia.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I knew he would go to the MLS one day. Thought it would be after he took oil money from Saudi Arabia.
That Saudi money was insane! He has a family though. Living in Saudi is probably not the best situation for three years.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That Saudi money was insane! He has a family though. Living in Saudi is probably not the best situation for three years.
Apparently his wife told him under no circumstances would she live in a country that made her a third class citizen.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Apparently his wife told him under no circumstances would she live in a country that made her a third class citizen.
Yep, it's crazy to many in this country, but there are people that can't be bought, especially by countries rife with human rights abuses. If only the PGA's actions followed their flowery rhetoric of the past.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Yep, it's crazy to many in this country, but there are people that can't be bought, especially by countries rife with human rights abuses. If only the PGA's actions followed their flowery rhetoric of the past.
I was thinking about that yesterday (PGA vs Messi). I always thought that Messi wanted to play in Miami one day. It makes too much sense and D. Beckham has been working on him for years. There was thought that he would go to Man City or Miami a few years ago even before he went PSG, but I don't think Messi ever truly wanted to leave Barca. obviously Messi made the right choice to stay in Europe and kept his WC dream alive. and while Miami is not Barca, it is quite a place in its own right and Messi is going to get a lot of love where ever he goes in America.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
These MLS team names *smh* The inferiority complex is strong!

I'm glad Newcastle aren't in for him. Best in the world on his day, but he'd be a really dumb buy for the Mags at this stage in his career and the team's development.
I don't think he wanted to play in England. he could have if he wanted to. he could have went to man city, a team that really fancies his style of play. one could only imagine what that team would have been with him, but ultimately I think he did not want to live there or play in a league as physically demanding. and that's not a shot at Messi, I just think he knows what he does best and maximizes it. The time seems right for Miami, but I do wonder if this means he is done with the national team or if he will return to Barca or Argentina in some capacity.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I was thinking about that yesterday (PGA vs Messi). I always thought that Messi wanted to play in Miami one day. It makes too much sense and D. Beckham has been working on him for years. There was thought that he would go to Man City or Miami a few years ago even before he went PSG, but I don't think Messi ever truly wanted to leave Barca. obviously Messi made the right choice to stay in Europe and kept his WC dream alive. and while Miami is not Barca, it is quite a place in its own right and Messi is going to get a lot of love where ever he goes in America.
Yeah, it's just the equivalent of Lebron going to play for the Shanghai Sharks. Even as a huge Liverpool fan, I'd have been fine with him being on another team in the prem only to enjoy the best against the best as long as we can.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Yeah, it's just the equivalent of Lebron going to play for the Shanghai Sharks. Even as a huge Liverpool fan, I'd have been fine with him being on another team in the prem only to enjoy the best against the best as long as we can.
I kind of wish Messi did go to the PL instead of France. France have a good league, certainly they are producing the best collection of talent in the world of late, but a lot of French players leave their home country. PSG seems like a place where high profile players go to look down on other players in their respective league. I just don't know if guys like Neymar and Messi are getting the most out of being there. I think for Messi he was very fortunate that Argentina finally had a deep team around him that could play up to his level.

I do wonder what this will actually do for MLS, regarding advancement. I've been unable to follow it, but it does seem to have grown a lot. I've hoped for MLS to be more than what it is now. It seemed like there was a noticeable boom after Beckham came to the league. and that started a trend of high profile players coming into the league. MLS has grown a lot and has really helped the other CONCACAF nations as much if not more than it has helped the USMNT.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I kind of wish Messi did go to the PL instead of France. France have a good league, certainly they are producing the best collection of talent in the world of late, but a lot of French players leave their home country. PSG seems like a place where high profile players go to look down on other players in their respective league. I just don't know if guys like Neymar and Messi are getting the most out of being there. I think for Messi he was very fortunate that Argentina finally had a deep team around him that could play up to his level.
The common slur against the French league is that it's a farmers league. It's hard to dispute that reputation. The problem in France is the same problem they have in the German and French leagues. They're utterly noncompetitive. PSG will always win the French league, because everyone else is garbage. German league will always be Bayern/Dortmund, same with Barca/Real.

Guys like Neymar/Mbappe are doing a disservice to their own legacies by continuing to beat the stuffing out of bad teams every week. Who cares?
I do wonder what this will actually do for MLS, regarding advancement. I've been unable to follow it, but it does seem to have grown a lot. I've hoped for MLS to be more than what it is now. It seemed like there was a noticeable boom after Beckham came to the league. and that started a trend of high profile players coming into the league. MLS has grown a lot and has really helped the other CONCACAF nations as much if not more than it has helped the USMNT.
Interesting point - the CONCACAF countries have certainly grown at greater bounds with the advent on the MLS. I can't watch the MLS - both for not having a local team, and not enjoying crap talent. The mexican league is much better, and probably not a top 10 world league. Until the talent level improves dramatically, I'll stick with the Prem.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I don't think he wanted to play in England. he could have if he wanted to. he could have went to man city, a team that really fancies his style of play. one could only imagine what that team would have been with him, but ultimately I think he did not want to live there or play in a league as physically demanding. and that's not a shot at Messi, I just think he knows what he does best and maximizes it. The time seems right for Miami, but I do wonder if this means he is done with the national team or if he will return to Barca or Argentina in some capacity.
I don't think he would have either. He would have been brutalized constantly and I don't think he'd dig that. Can't say I blame him.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
One of my kids soccer coaches (in AZ) signed up/paid deposit for the season ticket wait list as soon as it was announced. He figures he can fund a trip or two for his entire family to see Messi play and sell off the rest and still turn a good profit. Kind of a genius move, but not sure if he did it fast enough.