Mel Kiper draft grades

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
that's what I've heard. Most people had Guyton lower than the first round. wish they took the Duke lineman at 24 who by most accounts is a 10 year starter in the NFL, but dallas were stuck on drafting a tackle. their right tackle had a year to forget last year. He was their weakest link on offense. I can think of 2 games that they lost because of him. they seem ok with keeping that going. they by no means are set on their OL now. a lot of things to hate about the cowboys offseason.
Barton has played tackle, and I think his floor at tackle is higher than Guyton's floor.

Yeah I hate that pick for Dallas.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
exactly, this reminds me of Mazi Smith from a year ago where they reached for a guy because he was freakishly talented, but no one else was going to pick him for several picks. I don't think you do that in the first round when you have other quality players available.
Mazi Smith was such a a dumb pick. I said it last year, and I said it again with D'Vondre Sweat. DTs need to be pass rushers to be drafted high...or just take a big guy later.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
it's remarkable how much of a joke the cowboys franchise is. it's not just jerry...here we are 2 years later with Mike McCarthy and Elliott reuniting. they should both be long gone by now.
I think Jerry and company are generally really smart at team building, but they haven't found the right coach and they need an outside personnel guy who can draft for the modern NFL

The Cowboys are still using a lot of the principles they used to be good in the 90s.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
I think Jerry and company are generally really smart at team building, but they haven't found the right coach and they need an outside personnel guy who can draft for the modern NFL

The Cowboys are still using a lot of the principles they used to be good in the 90s.
they have good scouts, will McClay is a great lead scout, but he doesn't make the final draft decisions. he just influences decisions. I doubt that Jerry drafts a player that McClay doesn't approve of. which is why they have drafted very well over the years. Jerry and Steven's personnel/salary cap management has been very poor. and finally Jerry is being called out by former players, like Emmitt Smith, for having poor culture within the organization. it only took 20 years for Emmitt to speak up.

You hit the nail on the head. Jerry needs to promote McClay to GM, or he needs to hire an outside GM that has full control over player/personnel decisions. and don't let Steven manage the cap, he is dumber than Jerry is.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Mazi Smith was such a a dumb pick. I said it last year, and I said it again with D'Vondre Sweat. DTs need to be pass rushers to be drafted high...or just take a big guy later.
Sweat dropped, perhaps because of the DWI. In the end I think he probably got drafted in the right spot if he transitions to the NFL as a run stopper. he is as good as a run stopper that I've seen come through UT. It's early, but Mazi has not looked good vs. the run or pass. the cowboys have a bunch of guys on defense who don't care about stopping the run. it showed vs. GB.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
Maybe your draft board sucks if Jones played so well, but was only the 225th ranked player.
I would agree that this example is a pretty damning example of PFF's numerical methodology for rating CBs, if nothing else.

But, it's fair to note that NFL Draft Database that has a consensus big board they describe this way: "This consensus big board of each player's overall ranking for the 2024 NFL Draft was compiled using 211Big Board(s), 15071st Round Mock Draft(s), and 1371 Team Based Mock Draft(s). These numbers do not include ALL mock drafts in the database, but rather ones that are closest to the Draft date."

Jones consensus rating was #158 on this list (someone ranked him as high as #10, so just shows how wild the variability in how players are evaluated really is). So PFF's ranking of #255 seems like it's probably more of an outlier, but us taking him at #90 also seems like it was a reach compared to consensus opinion on around where he would be selected. Public draft boards obviously don't take scheme fit into account or team's individual preferences on what they value as prospects, but using a consensus big board like this does give a gauge of the potential value of each pick even though it's not indicative of future success or failure of how they will do as Cardinals.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
they have good scouts, will McClay is a great lead scout, but he doesn't make the final draft decisions. he just influences decisions. I doubt that Jerry drafts a player that McClay doesn't approve of. which is why they have drafted very well over the years. Jerry and Steven's personnel/salary cap management has been very poor. and finally Jerry is being called out by former players, like Emmitt Smith, for having poor culture within the organization. it only took 20 years for Emmitt to speak up.

You hit the nail on the head. Jerry needs to promote McClay to GM, or he needs to hire an outside GM that has full control over player/personnel decisions. and don't let Steven manage the cap, he is dumber than Jerry is.
Dallas - you are great the way you are - don't change a thing. Steven Jones is a genius and should make all decisions. Heck - he should call plays!

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Dallas - you are great the way you are - don't change a thing. Steven Jones is a genius and should make all decisions. Heck - he should call plays!
If anything changes that would probably be it. Steven calling plays lol.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
It's funny because I like the players the Niners grabbed and I think the talk of value just gets really dumb, really quickly.

Niners had to take Green because the CB values at the end of the second round was less than what all of the mock drafts were forecasting.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monti Ossentfort