McCOWN SAT BECAUSE OF CONCUSSION.

O

LD @ F.O.H.
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
From ProFootball Talk.

Word around the league is that Cardinals coach Dennis Green didn't necessarily bench quarterback Josh McCown for last Sunday's loss to the Panthers. Instead, we're hearing that McCown sat because he was struggling in practice due to a concussion that he suffered in the team's November 14 win over the Giants.
We're told that McCown looked like McCaaCaa in practice, so Green went with King, who was signed as a free agent in the offseason.
For reasons unbeknownst to us (and to anyone else), Green opted not to mention McCown's concussion as the basis for the switch, even after King led the Cards into one of their worst losses of the season.
“I am not going to sit here and justify anything to you,” Green said after the game. “I don’t operate that way. I make a decision and I stay with it until I change my mind.”
Apparently, Green's mind could change whenever McCown's mind is free from any performance-affecting cobwebs.

Actually this makes sense to me. Every time i saw Josh on the sidelines he looked like he was in his own little world.

I know, I know. it's Pro football Talk but still.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
D-Dogg said:
So, he's been playing with this concussion since week one?

:shrug:
I know it is a joke but I was seriously thinking the same thing.
:thumbup:

AZCardsWin

Our waiting is over!
Reaction score
O said:
From ProFootball Talk.

Word around the league is that Cardinals coach Dennis Green didn't necessarily bench quarterback Josh McCown for last Sunday's loss to the Panthers. Instead, we're hearing that McCown sat because he was struggling in practice due to a concussion that he suffered in the team's November 14 win over the Giants.

Being from NJ I can say that the Giants safety (Wilson) is still feeling the effects from that violent collision and has been "out" since the hit. Just saw a story on him the other day. When McCown is healthy I think he will be back in.

Go Cards/ America!
Tim

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I reckon this is an excuse put out by the Cardinals for Denny's poor decision.

Tangodnzr

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Actually, believe it or not, a few days ago I was tempted to post that the one scenario no one had even brought up, was that maybe Josh was hurt more in the miami game than people outside the team knew.

It actually does make the most sense of any of the possible scenarios.

Dennis the menace though, would never be caught dead, telling things as they actually were. Instead more concerned about all the various and sundry mind games.

Vomit Boy

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
If this is true the Denny Green has violated one of the mandatory rules of the NFL by hiding injuries from the League and more imporatntly from bookies and gamblers who feed of off that information.

Look for Denny Green to face a stiff $$$ penalty and possible banishment from the NFL for conspiring with known gamblers if this is indeed true.

I knew he couldn't be trusted!

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
AZCardsWin said:
Being from NJ I can say that the Giants safety (Wilson) is still feeling the effects from that violent collision and has been "out" since the hit. Just saw a story on him the other day. When McCown is healthy I think he will be back in.

Go Cards/ America!
Tim

That was a particularly violent collision. I couldn't believe it when McCown got up from that, much less continued to play.

But the idea that he really sat because of injury is hard to believe because of the way that the King, McCown and Green have been talking. They're all acting like there's been an actual changing of the guard rather than just a temporary interruption in McCown's starting role.

Tangodnzr

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Crimson Warrior said:
That was a particularly violent collision. I couldn't believe it when McCown got up from that, much less continued to play.

But the idea that he really sat because of injury is hard to believe because of the way that the King, McCown and Green have been talking. They're all acting like there's been an actual changing of the guard rather than just a temporary interruption in McCown's starting role.

I'm not so sure I agree with your second paragraph.

I think what you are referring to is more what others THINK or PERCEIVE in THEIR minds what was said.
It gets proven over, and over, and over on a daily basis here, that the "norm" is for people to "see" any comments and interpret them through their own prejudices...whatever they may be.

I don't think its been so much what King, Green, or Josh has been saying.
But what others say they are saying.
Most of the time, those are two entirely different things.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Tangodnzr said:

I think what you are referring to is more what others THINK or PERCEIVE in THEIR minds what was said.
It gets proven over, and over, and over on a daily basis here, that the "norm" is for people to "see" any comments and interpret them through their own prejudices...whatever they may be.

I won't belabor the point except to say not even a hint out of one of those three or anybody else in the organization that an injury played a part in the decision.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Tangodnzr said:

Nicely said. :thumbup:

CardinalChris

Big Man Himself
Reaction score
It is possible to keep that out of the news to give King some incentive..... You'r job now, but not by default......this is your chance....

Just an idea.

8ndkorner

Registered
Reaction score
D-Dogg said:
So, he's been playing with this concussion since week one?

:shrug:

HAH! That cracked me up. I'm sitting on a computer in a hotel business center in Singapore and just cracked up out loud.

I hope King has heard this "rumor". After a full week of practice with our 3 receivers I hope to heck he lights it up this weekend.
If King wants the job he better show something soon. Please. Light it up Shawn.

Shuesters2

Wind Breaker
Reaction score
Benching. Another factor could be the number of hits Josh has taken. The game announcers mentioned that you could smell Josh coming for his pre-game interview. They said the smell of "Atomic Balm" was overpowering. They said something to the effect that he must of been dipped in it.

Thats the first time I have ever heard anything like that. We all know Josh has been routinely beat up over the course of his starts. I wonder if Denny is letting Josh get himself "right"?

Shuesters

Rats

Somanyfreaks,SofewCircus'
Reaction score
Tangodnzr said:
Actually, believe it or not, a few days ago I was tempted to post that the one scenario no one had even brought up, was that maybe Josh was hurt more in the miami game than people outside the team knew.

It actually does make the most sense of any of the possible scenarios.

Dennis the menace though, would never be caught dead, telling things as they actually were. Instead more concerned about all the various and sundry mind games.
Actually Tango I did post that I felt that was the underlying issue with McCown being benched. Russ wanted confirmation from me that Josh actually had a concussion and I wasn't just pulling it out of thin air. I couldn't confirm it at the time. It was confirmed to me yesterday that it was a contributing factor to McCown taking a seat because he had trouble during the week with accuracy and play calling. I think we have to let King have this week. If he steps up( which I doubt) he will get to stay in there. There is not much upside to him but maybe the young guys will step up there game. The entire offense has underacheived.

Tangodnzr

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Rats said:
Actually Tango I did post that I felt that was the underlying issue with McCown being benched. Russ wanted confirmation from me that Josh actually had a concussion and I wasn't just pulling it out of thin air. I couldn't confirm it at the time. It was confirmed to me yesterday that it was a contributing factor to McCown taking a seat because he had trouble during the week with accuracy and play calling. I think we have to let King have this week. If he steps up( which I doubt) he will get to stay in there. There is not much upside to him but maybe the young guys will step up there game. The entire offense has underacheived.

Props to you!!! This is a great post and right on IMO.

I must have missed your previous post(s).

I think, of all the possible explanations for what has been transpiring the past 2 weeks your explanation sums up the one that makes the most possible sense.

Green is just being Green, with all his games and power trips in the way he chooses to handle it.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rats said:

All I asked is do we know he had a concussion because at that time the only mention was Skorp saying the THOUGHT he had one and the Cards hadn't made it public.

Again if that was the problem, why not pull the cord a lot earlier in the week and give King reps?

we all saw on Thanksgiving how a QB not ready to play should be handled. Parcells got sick of people asking him about Henson so he starts him against Krenzel and the Bears, gives him a half to PROVE to all the Cowboy fans he's not ready to play yet, and then brings in Vinnie to win the game. Denny could learn something about handling a QB situation, if there's any chance at all Josh can't play, you gotta give King a full week of reps.

Rats

Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
All I asked is do we know he had a concussion because at that time the only mention was Skorp saying the THOUGHT he had one and the Cards hadn't made it public.

Again if that was the problem, why not pull the cord a lot earlier in the week and give King reps?

we all saw on Thanksgiving how a QB not ready to play should be handled. Parcells got sick of people asking him about Henson so he starts him against Krenzel and the Bears, gives him a half to PROVE to all the Cowboy fans he's not ready to play yet, and then brings in Vinnie to win the game. Denny could learn something about handling a QB situation, if there's any chance at all Josh can't play, you gotta give King a full week of reps.
I agree Russ, McCown should not have been in there the second half of the game against the Giants. His play was even more erratic (if that is possible) than earlier in the season. He needed to be sat down then.

Rats

Reaction score
Tangodnzr said:
Props to you!!! This is a great post and right on IMO.

I must have missed your previous post(s).

I think, of all the possible explanations for what has been transpiring the past 2 weeks your explanation sums up the one that makes the most possible sense.

Green is just being Green, with all his games and power trips in the way he chooses to handle it.
I think like it or not, DG handles personel the way he has always done it. If he makes the call then there is no discussion about it. Parcells may do it differently but he is not always successful. It panned out for him yesterday. I think that DG said now is the opportunity for KING to start. If it is proven to him that King should stay in there now. He won't get in the way of that. If King sucks. Then he can bring a fresh Josh back in and we will hope that we still have a shot at making the rest of the year interesting. I would also add Russ, I don't think that DG knew how erratic Josh would be until he had reps in practice. Then he made the call hoping Josh would be better by weeks end. He wasn't so King got the call with limited reps in practice. He will get the full load this week and we will see if he can get things going

Last edited:

KingofCards

My Hero
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I think Josh might be able to benefit from sitting and watching.

Rats

Reaction score
KingofCards said:
I think Josh might be able to benefit from sitting and watching.
KofC, Josh needs to sit and see the things that he is missing when he is on the field. You are correct, he misses checkdowns and he can learn things by observing. But he has to step up when called on and not miss open guys. King missed Karl Williams wideopen for a Td at the 15 yard line that would have got us back in the game. Josh would have made the same type of mistake and needs to slow things down so he can make those throws. I think he hears footsteps and doesn't set up. If time off will change that I am all for it.

Tangodnzr

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I don't want to put words in Rat's mouth, but it seems to me that his statement:

It was confirmed to me yesterday that it (concussion) was a contributing factor to McCown taking a seat because he had trouble during the week with accuracy and play calling

(red text, is my addition)

May hold a key to explaining what came down.

If Josh did have a concussion, then it would only be normal to see how he plays during the week and go from there. When someone has a concussion, about all you can do it watch and see how they react, some snap right out of it, some don't. There is no magical timetable as to when the effects may wear off.

It's no state secret that Josh's play still needed to improve, concussion or no concussion. That coupled with the fact that he may be a lot more physically banged up than a lot of people realize could also be a major contributing factor.

So by the end of the week, Green sees that Josh's play is borderline, so at the last minute decides to make the switch.

Doing it in typical Dennis Green style.

Remember this: Dennis Green, when pushed by reporters this week would only say: "Josh McCown is/can be a good QB in this league" (or words to that effect. I don't want to take the time to find the exact quote, but I think that's pretty close)

He's not going to tell the media anything more than he decides to....which is normally little if anything.

I'd love to be a fly on the wall and see/hear what Green is really saying to the "team" that others are not privvy to.

Tangodnzr

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I also agree that sitting Josh, as long as it's not just another self inflicting ego move on Green's part permantently ending any chance Josh has at the QB position, may actually be the best thing right now.

I do think that he may be able to learn a little more watching a couple of games or so.

I mentioned that after the game. He saw (or should have, anyway) King make some risky and not all that great of throws downfield, floating the ball up where Fitz could go up and get it, is something Josh should emulate in some situations.

As long as King doesn't turn into another Blake/Leon, I really think he can be a decent back up quarterback. I view him much like Renaldo Hill on defense. A decent player, but not what I really would want as the regular full time starter.

I think King has the type of mentality to be a good 2nd string QB, to be able to come in, in certain situations and give the team a boost, or fill in for injury to the starter...but not what I'd want as the main man in the long run.

I think Josh has now proven that not only does he have all the "tools", he's tough as nails, courageous, and really does want to learn, improve, and be a "team" member. As long as Green isn't permanently trash canning him forever, I'm OK with King starting in the short term.

As usual, I just don't like how Green usually goes about doing some of the things he does.

We shall see!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard