Mayfield, Darnold, Allen are playing: It's Rosen Time!

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think as long as McCoy is going ultra conservative it's not gonna matter.

Hey maybe best duel threat back in the NFL lets just pound him up the middle.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Bradford comes out and socks for the first half of the Bears game there is absolutely no reason not to bring Rose out for the second half

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
I think as long as McCoy is going ultra conservative it's not gonna matter.

Hey maybe best duel threat back in the NFL lets just pound him up the middle.
I think either Bradford is scared of his legs and/or McCoys playing reflects that as well.

I didn’t like the McCoy from day 1 but imo Josh throws the ball downfield more, takes more chances & will change his playcalling

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think either Bradford is scared of his legs and/or McCoys playing reflects that as well.

I didn’t like the McCoy from day 1 but imo Josh throws the ball downfield more, takes more chances & will change his playcalling

I can see that. Whole Bradford has lost the edge thing is real but how do you explain the use of Johnson? One of the best weapons in football and no creativity at all

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
I can see that. Whole Bradford has lost the edge thing is real but how do you explain the use of Johnson? One of the best weapons in football and no creativity at all
I think Rosen playing will get defenders off the LOS which will open up #31. I don’t think we will ever see him used in the passing game as BA used him with Wilks as HC.

AZ Shocker

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I could be wrong...but wouldn't the Cardinals defense be more jacked up if we were throwing the ball downfield a bit more...getting DJ involved more...and maybe scoring some points? In other words...if Rosen gets a chance and shows he can lead a team downfield more than what Is currently happening...who cares if one of his "chances" wind up being intercepted. At least the defense can say, "Okay...let's get it back and let the young rookie TRY TO SCORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
As I said in the TNF thread, when Mayfield came in the entire complexion of the game changed. After Taylor missed a wide open Calloway on what should have been a sure explosive TD when he threw up a bloated goose that was easily tipped away then ripped his receiver only to have Mayfield come in throwing lasers, you can see the Browns energy just pop. Win or lose, the Browns came together as a team in that game and it wouldn't surprise me to see them win 8 or 9 games this season. I know we still have to see how he does against a team that prepared for him but if tonight is any indication I believe we might have witnessed the death of the laughing stock Browns tonight.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I could be wrong...but wouldn't the Cardinals defense be more jacked up if we were throwing the ball downfield a bit more...getting DJ involved more...and maybe scoring some points? In other words...if Rosen gets a chance and shows he can lead a team downfield more than what Is currently happening...who cares if one of his "chances" wind up being intercepted. At least the defense can say, "Okay...let's get it back and let the young rookie TRY TO SCORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
they would also be more rested if we managed to get a few first downs.... the offense staying on the field longer can change the entire complexion of the team.

in fact we saw that with BA's offense when we went through that spurt of 3 and outs 3 out of every 4 drives

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
As I said in the TNF thread, when Mayfield came in the entire complexion of the game changed. After Taylor missed a wide open Calloway on what should have been a sure explosive TD when he threw up a bloated goose that was easily tipped away then ripped his receiver only to have Mayfield come in throwing lasers, you can see the Browns energy just pop. Win or lose, the Browns came together as a team in that game and it wouldn't surprise me to see them win 8 or 9 games this season. I know we still have to see how he does against a team that prepared for him but if tonight is any indication I believe we might have witnessed the death of the laughing stock Browns tonight.

not just that...hell, even the pre game folks mentioned that the Browns would be 2-0 if they had a kicker...then they got a kicker.
very reminiscent of this team a couple years back...except they are young, lol.
they have a lot of talent, if they continue to click like they did in the second half last night they could take that division for the next few years.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
My issues with Mayfield were not in his general skill set, but upstairs. Let's see how he reacts to adversity or a hostile crowd. In college things didn't go so smoothly.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
My issues with Mayfield were not in his general skill set, but upstairs. Let's see how he reacts to adversity or a hostile crowd. In college things didn't go so smoothly.
??????

Explain.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Mayfield plays and suddenly the Browns are an 8-9 win team this year. Dude is amazing. Let's not get carried away.

Again it was one game in front of a home crowd against a defense that only minimally planned for him. The real work for Baker starts now. Can he repeat?

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Each "play 'em/sit 'em" decision depends on the uniqueness of the QB.

Skill sets differ from QB to QB (some are more mobile or athletic than others).

Some QB's process information faster/better than others.

Each has differing receiving targets/options

Blocking may vary from QB to QB

Each QB has differing cielings/floors

etc. etc.

Therefore, Rosen's flight path may differ greatly from Darnold, Mayfield, T Taylor etc.

Maybe it will turn out that playing Bradford while coddling Rosen will backfire. But I have no problem with the coaches bringing him along carefully.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Each "play 'em/sit 'em" decision depends on the uniqueness of the QB.

Skill sets differ from QB to QB (some are more mobile or athletic than others).

Some QB's process information faster/better than others.

Each has differing receiving targets/options

Blocking may vary from QB to QB

Each QB has differing cielings/floors

etc. etc.

Therefore, Rosen's flight path may differ greatly from Darnold, Mayfield, T Taylor etc.

Maybe it will turn out that playing Bradford while coddling Rosen will backfire. But I have no problem with the coaches bringing him along carefully.
The problem I have is he apparently the next in line. If Bradford goes down on the second play of the game Rosen will be even worse off than if he took reps all week with the starters. So what’s the difference?

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Exactly! You don't have to be a football genius to see how the tenor of the game shifted when Baker got on the game. The fans and team (both offense and defence) were sparked and the previous lethargy evaporated. Bradford has to feel the heat knowing if he efs up Sunday, it may be a wrap on his career!

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Statistically things went very smoothly for him in college.

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
There were emotional moments and outbursts from Mayfield in college, but not regarding his own team or fans. That energy directed at opponents is refreshing, as long as it's not over the line offensive. Honestly I think fans would be aghast to be on the field and see and hear how these players treat and respond to each other. It's a mosh pit of enraged animals.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Mayfield plays and suddenly the Browns are an 8-9 win team this year. Dude is amazing. Let's not get carried away.

Again it was one game in front of a home crowd against a defense that only minimally planned for him. The real work for Baker starts now. Can he repeat?
Did you actually read what I wrote or did you only glean what you wanted from it because if you didn't read the entire thing you'd see that I said we'll have to see how he does against a team that will game plan for him and that it wouldn't surprise me if they won 8 or 9 games this season. That isn't a guarantee only that it wouldn't surprise me.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
not just that...hell, even the pre game folks mentioned that the Browns would be 2-0 if they had a kicker...then they got a kicker.
very reminiscent of this team a couple years back...except they are young, lol.
they have a lot of talent, if they continue to click like they did in the second half last night they could take that division for the next few years.
I wouldn't hang my hat on this kicker. His 2 FG's weren't exactly things of beauty and even his extra point barely made it.