Max Hall

PoolBoy

BIRDGANG
Reaction score
how tall is Hall, there is no way he is 6'1 like listed....

You must be registered for see images attach

thats with a helmet on

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Max Hall was not great today, but he was good enough to win a game which is very important. He showed some things that you have to be pretty excited so see from a young player and generally are signs of a good QB.

1:He learned throughout the game. Not many young players can do this, but Max showed that he can process his play in a game and apply it later in the same game. Example of this was in the red zone. First time, he almost threw a pick. Second time he threw the ball away. Not every young QB can do that.

2:He got the ball to his playmakers, but also included his other options. Not only did he get the ball to Fitz, but he was also smart enough to understand the need to use everybody. Ben Patrick, Andre Roberts, Max Komar, B Wells, Stephen Williams and Jim Dray were all targeted in this game. This is important because it showed that Max understands that it is a priority to get the ball to Fitz, but you don't have to force it to him every play. The more yards you get, the more opportunities to get the ball to him.

3:He allowed his receivers to make plays. The deep throw to Fitz, the throw to Andre Roberts in traffic, the high throw to S Williams, and the flip to Ben Patrick were all throws that he put to his receivers in their catching radius and allowed them to make a play. Kurt Warner used to say that the worse thing he could do was overthrow Fitz on a deep ball, because it took away his ability to make a great play. Max made throws that gave his receivers chances and they seemed to make the most out of them.

4:The game never seemed to big for him. Despite throwing an early pick or getting down 10 early, Max never seemed overwhelmed. He looked inexperienced at times, but never over matched which is very important.

5:He stopped the bleeding. Guys will talk about how games can snow ball on teams and it takes a special player to be able to stop the effect. Trent Dilfer talks about this, and it's importance in a QB navigating through a NFL football game. Max Hall showed this. He was able to get first downs and stretch out drives, which kept the Saints off the field and never allowed them to get rolling. A prime example was after the Saints touchdown in the first quarter. The Cardinals had possession of the football for 4 min and 51 sec in the first quarter, and the Saints were rolling after the touchdown to a wide open Shockey. Instead of a three and out which would have allowed the Saints to keep rolling, Hall leads the Cardinals on a 5 min drive resulting in a field goal. This slows momentum and allows the defense time to rest and make adjustments. Hall did this several times in the game and showed an ability to slow down the momentum of the game.

Now the question is if he can continue to grow and improve, while showing that he can repeat the things he does well week to week.

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The deep floater to Fitz was awesomely Warner-esque. Perfect touch, outside shoulder, led the receiver and hit him in stride.

On the INT early in the game, he forced it into Fitz in double coverage, but since the strong safety was up top doubling Fitz, he had Komar open underneath for at least 8-10 yards plus a run. He's just got to know not to force it. That was the only really terrible read I saw from him, and I expected 3-4 more of these since he's a rookie and still would've been satisfied with his performance. Great game and I can't wait the 2 weeks to see him play again!

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Max Hall was not great today, but he was good enough to win a game which is very important. He showed some things that you have to be pretty excited so see from a young player and generally are signs of a good QB.

Mulli, read that a thousand times. Then read it again a thousand more times. Then a million times. Then a million more.

No, really. Read it. All those times. When you are done reading it all those times...then you can come and make your sad sack case as to why DA should be starting (your default argument since you think MH is a midget in QB clothing).

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Will keep his spot.

Positives: Toughness. Throws a tight ball and was very accurate, particularly on his balls to Fitz.. Made one throw to Fitz (the one where he got facemasked) that was absolutely perfect and in the only spot it could be. Can move around well. Also, had the team behind him. The guys just seem to like playing with him

Negatives: Nothing that can't be fixed.. Needs to realize it's not college and therefore he can't be running and cutting back into defenders.. Needs to throw the ball away.

Overall though, I thought he played well, particularly in the second half. The toughness and accuracy was what I liked the most.

+1.

The comparisons to Steve Young are justified. Unfortunately, that includes the mad hatter type play from Young/Hall early in their career.

#1 - Has to realized he is going to get hurt, and put on IR if he is not smart about running with the ball. Note to Mr. Hall, we need more than 1 touchdown the rest of the year. Act like you are in the NFL.

#2 - Patience. Compsure. At least 5 throws that if Hall was actually breathing and not hyper-ventilating he would have made them.

No doubt the guy is a competitor, and will make a play. Much better than Anderson, IMO.

But, he is a rookie and needs to CALM DOWN!

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
how tall is Hall, there is no way he is 6'1 like listed....

thats with a helmet on

again he was measured at the combine at the exact same height as Brees at his combine. Both were 6'0 5/8" . That was by NFL people who were going to draft players based in part on those measurements.

Their shoulder pads are about even there as are their beltlines, Max is leaning back slightly which makes him look smaller but according to the NFL official measurements they are the same height.

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
The funniest was the Clark Haggans story, who was on with Jude LaCava last night.

He said that morning in the locker room, Max told HIM to "get his mind right." They were both laughing at that, and Clark told Whis he might want to put Max on specials teams so he could bust a wedge (since he was so hyped up).

GLENDALE, Ariz. -- Undrafted rookie quarterback Max Hall approached 11th-year linebacker Clark Haggans in the Arizona Cardinals' locker room three hours before kickoff Sunday.

"He told me to get my mind right," Haggans said.

Haggans was about to make his 80th regular-season NFL start. He had played in 138 regular-season games and 13 playoff games, including a Super Bowl. He knew something about getting his mind right. And here was Hall, about to make his first NFL start of any kind -- against the defending champion New Orleans Saints, no less -- offering pregame counsel.

OP
OP
Shane

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone else love how Max looked for and used the TE? 6 catches to the TE.

Anyone with eyes can see that Ben Patrick has good soft hands. Kurt Warner commented during the broadcast how Patrick has all the tools to be a good receiving TE. Just seems the QB's never looked their way. Hopefully Max can change this.

Would be nice to see them used more in the middle of the field.

splitsecond

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The biggest thing to me was his perfect placement of nearly everything he threw to Fitz. They looked like they had been practicing together for a long time, when we know that isn't the case. He was placing the throws almost identical to where Warner would place them when throwing to Fitz: right where Fitz can get em in stride, and out of reach of defenders.

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Max threw a pass to the TE whent he saints were bringing the house DA NEVER could. He just lofted it up there ala Warner style. Took a 1 handed catch but the ability to use touch and get some air under the ball is a great thing to see.

RedStorm

Next NY Gov
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Haven't seen the game yet. But based on comments it seems that he showed some moxie and showed pretty well for a young UDFA who was thrown into the fire.

Now heading into the BYE with 2 full weeks to work on all 1st team reps. develop timing with Fitz. Get some healthy WR's back in the stable. More time to work out a gameplan perfectly suited to him and his strengths.

Is it unreasonable to think he will get better?

Did you guys/gals that watched think he showed enough promise from this point right now to be able to hold down the spot at a minimum for the rest of this year?

He was not the reason we won the game BUT I am excited to see him play. He brings a spark. Scrappy kid.... He will only get better. The kid seems to be teachable..

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
bah! i don't understand why this site does this to me all the time. i type up something and then it says i don't have permission to post.

here's everything but not as eloquent:

liked hall

he's ty detmer

will be fine for this year

don't think many drew breeses out there. so not hoping that he's one.

if defense plays close to yesterday's performance we should win division.

anyone else notice that the only offensive TD we've scored in the last 9 quarters was by levi brown??? that won't get it done people.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Debbie Downer! :)

i can't help it. as excited as i am about yesterday's victory, and make no mistake i am stoked about it, it's difficult not to recognize how unsustainable a win like yesterday's is. that said, i expect that the offense will get better with max growing into it and with the addition of breaston and doucet. but it's still an astounding stat. over two games where the only way the offense scored a td (yes, there have been fgs) was on a forwarded fumble recovery by an offensive lineman???

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
The Cards won and Max only made one mistake that cost anything. It will be fun to see what he can do given 2 weeks for the coaching staff to scheme and Max to get starter reps in practice with Fitz and Co.

I like the way they sprinted him out occasionally. Defenitely a nice wrinkle.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Probably 'cause IT knew it was going to be something dark-sidey. :)

no, most of it was positive. i fess up when i was wrong. hall showed a TON more than i expected. and whereas most of my calls were pretty accurate (what did i say, 4 sacks-two ints-1 fumble-out with concussion by third?) the overall effect he had on the game was MUCH better than i expected and i suspect he'll get even better. in answering shane's question about what can maxie do this year i think he can be our qb. that's not dark-sidey at all.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
anyone else notice that the only offensive TD we've scored in the last 9 quarters was by levi brown??? that won't get it done people.

I'd bet it's also been a while since the Cards failed to go over 200 yards in total offense in back to back games. Yet they're 3-2. More proof of the magic of Whisenhunt.

OP
OP
Shane

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would expect nothing less from a fellow Mountain View grad.

:mulli:

Its all about the Warriors my friend!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson