Matt Flynn likely NOT to be franchised

sportznutt

Canadian Card
Reaction score
Citing league sources, ESPN's Adam Schefter reports that the Packers are "unlikely" to place the franchise tag on impending free agent Matt Flynn.

The Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel and SI's Peter King had previously suggested that franchising Flynn would at least be a consideration for the Packers, in an effort to pull a sign-and-trade deal. Instead, Green Bay's franchise tag figures to be used on Jermichael Finley. This would make Flynn easier for teams like the Seahawks and Redskins to acquire. He isn't going to cost a draft pick.

rotoworld

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
With Kolb's concussion issues I would be all for seriously considering Flynn and cutting our losses with Kolb.

Last edited:

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
With Kolb's concussion issues I would be all for seriously comsidering Flynn and cutting our losses with Kolb.
icon14.gif

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Flynn will be a Redskin, plain and simple IMO. I expect them to trade down from 6 to accumulate much needed extra picks. Their line is awful at best and they're in desperate need for a #1 WR

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
Flynn will be a Redskin, plain and simple IMO. I expect them to trade down from 6 to accumulate much needed extra picks. Their line is awful at best and they're in desperate need for a #1 WR

I also fully expect Seattle to be in play for him.

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
The guy has 1 good game and all of a sudden he's the 2nd coming? Wow.

2 good games...

He's not the second coming, but outside of Luck and Griffin, hes likely the best QB available. With the mentorship he's got and on the job "training," a team in dire need of a QB like Washington might not be so ill suited to pick him up.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was there serious discussion of Flynn getting the franchise tag? That would be bizarre--it would mean the a backup was getting an average of the top 5 QB salaries.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was there serious discussion of Flynn getting the franchise tag? That would be bizarre--it would mean the a backup was getting an average of the top 5 QB salaries.

Nope. Just a comment by Peter king!

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
Kolb should have warned us about "system" QB's with little tape to judge

Let someone else roll the dice on this gamble

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

Not by any informed individuals. Didn't make any sense.

SuperSpck

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The Packers usually have cap room, so using the tag wouldn't be crippling.
There are teams out there that need a QB bad enough to give up for it, most likely.
It'd a bigger gamble then using it on Finley, but with a bigger reward.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
The Packers usually have cap room, so using the tag wouldn't be crippling.
There are teams out there that need a QB bad enough to give up for it, most likely.
It'd a bigger gamble then using it on Finley, but with a bigger reward.

Finley could cost around 5.5 million while Flynn would cost over 10 million. Also, why would a team pay two firsts to match, when they could let the Packers just eat +10 million? Flynn has potential, and teams will be willing to gamble on it, but not at those dollars and the loss of a high pick. Unlike the Eagles last year, the Packers have very little leverage in this.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

New England did it after Matt Cassell's big year. But it was only done to allow them to trade him, he never actually got paid through the franchise tag because Kansas City signed him to a long term deal.

So there was some precedence, but Green Bay has a lot of talent they need to retain that are bigger priorities.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Wondering if he did get tagged, would his salary be greater than Rodgers's? It would be hilarious if it was. I have no idea what Rodgers salary is. My guess as to the top 5 paid QB's are the Mannings, Brady, Brees, and could be any one of Ben, Rodgers, Rivers, Romo, Cutler(doubtful), or Vick.

SuperSpck

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Finley could cost around 5.5 million while Flynn would cost over 10 million. Also, why would a team pay two firsts to match, when they could let the Packers just eat +10 million? Flynn has potential, and teams will be willing to gamble on it, but not at those dollars and the loss of a high pick. Unlike the Eagles last year, the Packers have very little leverage in this.

Because QBs are valued.
Letting the Packers, a team who always manage the cap well, eat $10M doesn't hurt them. They're not the Skins or the Raiders when it comes to spending.

If Finley's got a brain he'll want to give the hometown discount and if not, the Pack has proved they can live without him. May as well try to get something for a QB and risk letting Finley walk.

wilycoyote24

All Star
Reaction score
I think people on this board caring about this is like how to a starving person a rat may look appetizing.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Because QBs are valued.
Letting the Packers, a team who always manage the cap well, eat $10M doesn't hurt them. They're not the Skins or the Raiders when it comes to spending.

If Finley's got a brain he'll want to give the hometown discount and if not, the Pack has proved they can live without him. May as well try to get something for a QB and risk letting Finley walk.

A message board myth...

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Wondering if he did get tagged, would his salary be greater than Rodgers's? It would be hilarious if it was. I have no idea what Rodgers salary is. My guess as to the top 5 paid QB's are the Mannings, Brady, Brees, and could be any one of Ben, Rodgers, Rivers, Romo, Cutler(doubtful), or Vick.

Rodgers salary is very cheap. Flynn's would be significantly more.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
When a team has leverage on a player, isn't that what it's called?

It is not a myth. Many players have restructured their contracts to help the team. Others have taken less to stay at home.

It is not football but the St.Louis Cardinals have had several players take less money to play for them. That was one reason it was such a surprise to many Cardinal fans that Pujols went to LA.