Mathieu starting at corner? (speculative)

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
With the overload of solid safeties and the absolute need for a #2 CB, what about moving honey badger out to the flat from the slot and having him cover the Z? He has the experience, though he will give up height to most WRs, that hasn't really been a hindrance before for him.

I'm not saying forever, but until Bethel or Williams steps up for real and takes the position, why don't we just put our best 11 on the field?

NashDishesDimes

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I am on the fence about this. I think he should play MORE corner but they need to continue to move him around as he is the main piece that makes the D dynamic. They cant do that with anyone else at safety.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I am completely against it, he is to small and slow to cover the outside, but I heard from one of the beat writers that BA is actually considering it. The writer did not think it was a good idea either.

I predict he will look worse than Williams if they do go through with it.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't think he's 100% either which would make it more improbable.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah he was clearly running with a hitch in the NE game so moving him out to CB and asking him to run with Wr's all game seems dicey.

TB has a totally different offensive style than NE did. We should get more chances to rush the QB because they don't throw the ball nearly as quickly as NE does.

I didn't see their first game, Atlanta didn't get a single sack on him and he only ran 4 times so hard to say but they are a more vertical passing team than the pats are so in theory we should have more of a chance to help the DB's with a pass rush.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Mathieu is a starting corner, but moving him to the outside is just as bad as asking him to play deep middle—you're sacrificing a lot to gain very little.

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Mathieu can cover anyone on the planet. The reason is that he is master of mirror techniques, proper cushion (which is aids in his baiting of the QB), leverage, ball location and timing on his breaks. Plus, his vertical leap allows him to contest balsl thrown to TEs and bigger WRs. Moreover, his recovery ability to make plays on the ball even when he gets slightly behind or out of position is uncanny.

Does anyone think a QB in the NFL would be licking his chops to throw in Honey Badger's direction? That, in itself, provides an easy answer to the question.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mathieu can cover anyone on the planet. The reason is that he is master of mirror techniques, proper cushion (which is aids in his baiting of the QB), leverage, ball location and timing on his breaks. Plus, his vertical leap allows him to contest balsl thrown to TEs and bigger WRs. Moreover, his recovery ability to make plays on the ball even when he gets slightly behind or out of position is uncanny.

Does anyone think a QB in the NFL would be licking his chops to throw in Honey Badger's direction? That, in itself, provides an easy answer to the question.

All this comes with a tag of *

*when healthy and we dont know if he is fully there yet

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

That's mostly true but that's the guy before he had 2 ACL surgeries in a relatively short time frame. He will hopefully get there again, but he's not there now IMO.

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Hes nowhere near ready to play CB. That's why he played almost 100% safety last week.

He still cant bend his knees. Hes very straight legged out there. Cant squat and break down. Its an imperative skills in CBs.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
That would be foolish right now given his knee & probably his mental state of mind in trusting it.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson