Mason Rudolph vs Va Tech

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Rudolph is making money tonight. Two great drives back to back---one to end the first half and one to start the second half. His deep pass to Ateman up the left sideline was mint.

OP
OP
P

POISON

Formerly known as Okieguy
Reaction score
His offensive line may be worse than the Cardinals, they are subpar. How hes thrown almost 4850 yards is amazing

OP
OP
P

POISON

Reaction score
Rudolph is making money tonight. Two great drives back to back---one to end the first half and one to start the second half. His deep pass to Ateman up the left sideline was mint.
To be honest, Ateman or Washington would be good additions to the team Ateman really is impressive with his height

OP
OP
P

POISON

Reaction score
Beth Mowins makes me want to jam scissors in my ears. How does she have a job? ???? I've noticed she always does early morning games on Saturday morning. Obviously they hope everyone is still asleep

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I like Beth Mowins. She knows her football.

I know her from the years my daughter played Softball....Never heard her call anything but.
She's was top notch with football as well (IMO) and should be one of their lead announcers.

OP
OP
P

POISON

Reaction score
Dude is so bad. Jesus.
You are the stupidest poster I have ever seen in my life. A while back you said he didn't go through progressions which was idiotic. He finished 21-32 351 2 tds against the 5th ranked d in college. Finished with almost 5000 yards for the year, yea he's awful smh

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Their may be a character flaw or something with Rudolph. I asked scout friend last night if he was a fan of Rudolph. He said he likes the skill set better than the person. I didn't ask him to elaborate.

OP
OP
P

POISON

Reaction score
Their may be a character flaw or something with Rudolph. I asked scout friend last night if he was a fan of Rudolph. He said he likes the skill set better than the person. I didn't ask him to elaborate.
That's weird. In Oklahoma he's a model citizen, never ever got in trouble. Not a partier, spends to much time studying tape according to Gundy lol. A character flaw would be breaking news here, love to hear it. He's also big in the Fellowship of Christian Athletes, 1 of the leaders....

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
This game will propel his draft stock. I like Rudolph. He's big and accurate. Much better prospect then Allen. A pocket passer. Some team will trade up and snatch him up like Lynch, Mahommes, and Watson like years past.

Mitch

Reaction score
MJ tweeted today that he views Rudolph as a Day 3 prospect. He did not say why.

OP
OP
P

POISON

Reaction score
MJ tweeted today that he views Rudolph as a Day 3 prospect. He did not say why.
That's wild, I've heard #10-20 overall pick, and you hear day 3? Talk about wide range of opinions, wow

Mitch

Reaction score
There are a wide range of opinions about Rudolph. The history of Oklahoma St. QBs works against him. But, no OK St. QB has won more game in a 3 year stretch (3 10 win seasons in a row) or passed for more yards and TDs. Plus, I think the coaching at OK St. with Gundy is better.

Last night, Rudolph showed he could make all the throws---the most impressive of which, imo, was the TD he threw off the run 20+ yards to the pylon where only his WR could catch it. Rudolph's mobility isn't eye-popping, but it's better than one might think. He bolted the peck one time and ran for 20 yards.

I liked how he took command of the offense on the sidelines during timeouts---he shows leadership qualities.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I think Washington is the top receiver out this draft. Don’t be shocked if Rudolph goes at the end of round 1. He’s thought of as Thurbisky-lite. He has flaws, like throwing late down the middle, staring down receivers and not looking off safeties. He’s got a good arm, but not a great one, seen mostly on deep outs. He can throw them but has a tendency to float those throws. He’s physically a fit, but not very mobile. I have him in round 2 on talent. I think he becomes an okay NFL QB, but not special. He’d be easy to work with, but it’s hard to tell if he develops quickly. Thurbisky had his moments but still has tons to learn. Rudolph would move slower. His receivers are so good they erased quite a few of his mistakes. How he handle the speed up NFL defenders manifest is really the key. I wouldn’t draft him but SK doesn’t ask me.

Mitch

Reaction score
That's wild, I've heard #10-20 overall pick, and you hear day 3? Talk about wide range of opinions, wow

What's curious about MJ's tweet is that MJ himself admits that he doesn't really study the draft all that much. He might be quoting someone else on this.

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
There are a wide range of opinions about Rudolph. The history of Oklahoma St. QBs works against him. But, no OK St. QB has won more game in a 3 year stretch (3 10 win seasons in a row) or passed for more yards and TDs. Plus, I think the coaching at OK St. with Gundy is better.

Last night, Rudolph showed he could make all the throws---the most impressive of which, imo, was the TD he threw off the run 20+ yards to the pylon where only his WR could catch it. Rudolph's mobility isn't eye-popping, but it's better than one might think. He bolted the peck one time and ran for 20 yards.

I liked how he took command of the offense on the sidelines during timeouts---he shows leadership qualities.

People said the same about Mariota at Oregon, or Watson at Clemson respectively. Those two aforementioned broke records and the mode for the qb's coming from their schools

Mitch

Reaction score
I think Washington is the top receiver out this draft. Don’t be shocked if Rudolph goes at the end of round 1. He’s thought of as Thurbisky-lite. He has flaws, like throwing late down the middle, staring down receivers and not looking off safeties. He’s got a good arm, but not a great one, seen mostly on deep outs. He can throw them but has a tendency to float those throws. He’s physically a fit, but not very mobile. I have him in round 2 on talent. I think he becomes an okay NFL QB, but not special. He’d be easy to work with, but it’s hard to tell if he develops quickly. Thurbisky had his moments but still has tons to learn. Rudolph would move slower. His receivers are so good they erased quite a few of his mistakes. How he handle the speed up NFL defenders manifest is really the key. I wouldn’t draft him but SK doesn’t ask me.

Washington is a stud---but his 40 time might cause him to drop. He consistently beat a couple of good CBs last night---Va. Tech's secondary is one of the better secondaries the Cowboys faced this year. I think Ridley and Sutton will be taken ahead of Washington---and possibly even Kirk and Pettis (because of their speed and versatility).

Rudolph comes into the NFL way more ready than Trubisky. Yes, Trubisky is a better athlete, but he only started one year at UNC, and it shows. Last night, I though Rudolph provided added zip on his out passes---that TD throw on the run to the pylon was an eye opener. That was a a big-time throw. And I like the touch he puts on his deep passes---I'm so tired of watching Cardinals' QBs way overthrow or under throw deep passes. OK St. had more passes of over 50 yards than any college in the USA. That says something about the WRs yes, but also the QB. Rudolph had 3 TD drives last night where he took them the length of the field in 4 plays---versus a very good college defense.

I think that in the right system and supporting cast, Rudolph can have Matt Ryan type production.

Reaction score
Picture perfect pass by Rudolph at the :58 sec mark. 50 yards downfield. Looks like he has plenty of arm strength.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I watched last night and Rudolph has good feet and pocket awareness, when he was moving in the pocket he always was looking downfield. It appeared to me his throws didn't seem to float and had some pace to them. Just like about every other college QB he is going to have to learn to take snaps from under center and operate a huddle. It'll be interesting to see how he tests.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Beth Mowins makes me want to jam scissors in my ears. How does she have a job? ???? I've noticed she always does early morning games on Saturday morning. Obviously they hope everyone is still asleep
Beth Mowins causes me to switch channels. She is horrible. Even muting the sound does not help since I can still imagine what she is saying. Spouts one cliche after another with that affected voice. Another ESPN gaffe.

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

POISON

Reaction score
Washington is a stud---but his 40 time might cause him to drop. He consistently beat a couple of good CBs last night---Va. Tech's secondary is one of the better secondaries the Cowboys faced this year. I think Ridley and Sutton will be taken ahead of Washington---and possibly even Kirk and Pettis (because of their speed and versatility).

Rudolph comes into the NFL way more ready than Trubisky. Yes, Trubisky is a better athlete, but he only started one year at UNC, and it shows. Last night, I though Rudolph provided added zip on his out passes---that TD throw on the run to the pylon was an eye opener. That was a a big-time throw. And I like the touch he puts on his deep passes---I'm so tired of watching Cardinals' QBs way overthrow or under throw deep passes. OK St. had more passes of over 50 yards than any college in the USA. That says something about the WRs yes, but also the QB. Rudolph had 3 TD drives last night where he took them the length of the field in 4 plays---versus a very good college defense.

I think that in the right system and supporting cast, Rudolph can have Matt Ryan type production.
Mitch,
I agree with most of what you said. I think for a big guy he can move better than you'd think. He's not a Palmer statue anyways. The guy is a take charge leader and his team follows him. I'm biased as I've got season tickets in Stillwater, that being said I think he could have a good career, is anybodys guess. Osu hasn't had hardly any QB's make it in the Nfl. Rusty Hilger long ago and Brandon Weeden for a few years. Going to the Browns as a rookie didn't help him. But he made a few million for his trouble......

OP
OP
P

POISON

Reaction score
Beth Mowins causes me to switch channels. She is horrible. Even muting the sound does not help since I can still imagine what she is saying. Spouts one cliche after another with that effected voice. Another ESPN gaffe.
Lmao Southpaw, my feelings exactly . It has nothing to do about her being a woman commentator, just the grating voice. It's just plain bad listening