Marquis Cooper?

MastersofCombat

Basketball Junkie
Reaction score
Look my dad told me stories in the war how they were lost at sea and they lasted about a week before they were found. Are we too believe that these guys took off their jackets and said yea I am ready to die and leave my family behind ? (in about 24hrs)

Look I mean no disrespect if they did but I am merely raising the question that this doesnt add up that 3 football players gave up on life and family. Full well knowing a search team would be looking for them.

Again I want to repeat I mean no disrespect to these gentlemen or their families by saying this

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Look my dad told me stories in the war how they were lost at sea and they lasted about a week before they were found. Are we too believe that these guys took off their jackets and said yea I am ready to die and leave my family behind ? (in about 24hrs)

Look I mean no disrespect if they did but I am merely raising the question that this doesnt add up that 3 football players gave up on life and family. Full well knowing a search team would be looking for them.

Again I want to repeat I mean no disrespect to these gentlemen or their families by saying this
Nobody floats in cool water for a week and lives. The stories you heard were likely of guys who were atleast in rafts and not submerged. From all accounts, it seems as though these guys were in stages of hypothermia and began to semi-halucinate.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
According to a new story by Schuyler (a healthier Schuyler as well) is that the two NFL players died from the hypothermia pretty quickly. Then after 24 hours, Bleakley became sick and starting vomiting. Schuyler gave him CPR, but it didn't work and then he died.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/publicsafety/article981318.ece
All of these storiues are different. What about the one where Bleakley thought he saw lights and took off his vest and swam after them?

Doc Cardinal

Old Fart
Reaction score
I'll simply offer prayers for those lost as well as friends and family.

Tragedy can strike any level of society.

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
I wouldnt wish what those men went through on anyone.

Just let them rest in peace and give the survivor a couple of years to himself.

Its a terrible, terrible story

O

LD @ F.O.H.
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Hyphothermia, salt water, they ingested it no matter how hard they could of tried not to and that alone will kill you, low body fat probably worked against them;
I can only hope for the best but reality is what it is.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Hyphothermia, salt water, they ingested it no matter how hard they could of tried not to and that alone will kill you, low body fat probably worked against them;
I can only hope for the best but reality is what it is.

Yeah, I've heard fat guys can stay in the cold much longer than fit guys. Their bodies are insulated, fat floats (where muscle sinks) and they have a steady stream of energy to burn (their chub).

Wasn't the dude who survived a little portly?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nobody floats in cool water for a week and lives. The stories you heard were likely of guys who were atleast in rafts and not submerged. From all accounts, it seems as though these guys were in stages of hypothermia and began to semi-halucinate.

There is the sad story of the USS Indianapolis. I believe there were survivors in the water that were found alive after four days.

OP
OP
MastersofCombat

MastersofCombat

Basketball Junkie
Reaction score
Ok you can easily survive 18hours in mid-60 degree water, but at that point hypothermia would have set in.
Then I read this :

Nick Schuyler, the only man rescued after a fishing-party that included NFL players went missing Saturday, spoke about what happened to the other men. The St. Petersburg Times reported on what Schuyler told the Coast Guard, warning that the story is "strange" and shouldn't be taken at face value considering Schuyler had spent two days in cold water.

Read what Schuyler said below and see a slideshow of the players' families awaiting news on their loved ones.

Schuyler told investigators that about two to four hours after their boat flipped in rough seas, one of the two National Football League players on board gave up hope and let himself be swept away, according to relatives briefed by the Coast Guard.

A few hours later, the second one did the same.

"We were told that Nick said the two NFL players took their life jackets off and drifted out to sea," said Bob Bleakley, whose son Will, 25, a former University of South Florida football player, is also still missing.

With former Tampa Bay Buccaneers Marquis Cooper, 26, and Corey Smith, 29, gone, only Schuyler and Will Bleakley remained clinging to the boat.

Then, sometime early Monday, Will Bleakley thought he saw a light in the distance. He decided to take off his life jacket and swim to it, hoping to get help, Bob Bleakley said Schuyler told the investigators.

Read more of the article from the The St. Petersburg Times.

SO he gave up his life in about 2 hours?

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
OK this is getting weird. Multiple stories appearing about what happened. I don't want to say it but it is starting to sound bizarre.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
Ok you can easily survive 18hours in mid-60 degree water, but at that point hypothermia would have set in.
Then I read this :

Nick Schuyler, the only man rescued after a fishing-party that included NFL players went missing Saturday, spoke about what happened to the other men. The St. Petersburg Times reported on what Schuyler told the Coast Guard, warning that the story is "strange" and shouldn't be taken at face value considering Schuyler had spent two days in cold water.

Read what Schuyler said below and see a slideshow of the players' families awaiting news on their loved ones.

Schuyler told investigators that about two to four hours after their boat flipped in rough seas, one of the two National Football League players on board gave up hope and let himself be swept away, according to relatives briefed by the Coast Guard.

"We were told that Nick said the two NFL players took their life jackets off and drifted out to sea," said Bob Bleakley, whose son Will, 25, a former University of South Florida football player, is also still missing.

With former Tampa Bay Buccaneers Marquis Cooper, 26, and Corey Smith, 29, gone, only Schuyler and Will Bleakley remained clinging to the boat.

Then, sometime early Monday, Will Bleakley thought he saw a light in the distance. He decided to take off his life jacket and swim to it, hoping to get help, Bob Bleakley said Schuyler told the investigators.

There are 3-4 different accounts of what happened...... I would wait until the final story comes out after the survivor has had time to recover before you speculate on anything that happened.

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
Then I read this :

To quote Stallone in Rambo:

"Let it go"

People have complained about my posts. This is shameful

Doc Cardinal

Old Fart
Reaction score
To quote Stallone in Rambo:

"Let it go"

People have complained about my posts. This is shameful

Well said TR.

Captain Matt

Registered
Reaction score
Anyone been through water survival? It gives you a ton of confidence... I think the first question the instructor asked the class was "how long can you survive?" (and the scenario was almost identical to this one). The class kicked around numbers from 6-8 hours to 2-3 days. The instructor just shook his head and the "correct" answer was "as long as it takes to be rescued." Obviously there are physical limitations like the need for H2O and food. There are techniques to combat hypothermia (at least a little) and the urge to just give up. Especially if there were 4 guys in the water. This is really, really a shame. I'm pretty sure 4 navy guys would have tied themselves together for warmth and taken turns being on watch. At a minimum you could exect it to take 24 hours for a rescue operation to get in motion.... probably more like 72 hours if there were no distress signals sent.

Just a shame... Makes me sad.

All of you boaters PLEASE take the time to learn water survival. That 2-3 hour read probably would have saved these guys.

O

LD @ F.O.H.
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Then I read this :

Do you really expect Schuyler to have a grasp of the facts at this point?
Everything at this juncture is nothing but pure speculation.

New Mexico

Fan since 1976ish
Reaction score
When I read his first account of what happened, my initial reaction was "no way!" Now the story has changed. I don't get it. These were young athletes with everything to live for. They took off their life jackets to drown after 24 hours? Really? Maybe, but that's hard for me to believe. Now he says they both died of hypothermia. What's the deal? I don't know what the truth is, but it almost seems like he's afraid to say. I just can't reconcile the two stories and I can't believe he was so out of it after he was rescued that he didn't know what he was saying. The doctors described him as being in fair condition when he was plucked from the water and in good condition soon after. Who knows.

dbUNIT16

Registered
Reaction score
Why the hell would you post this? You are criticizing them because YOU perceive that they didn't fight for their lives?

You weren't there. You DON'T know. I highly doubt that any of these man "gave up." If they let go it was because they couldn't make it any longer. Granted not all of the men may have been comfortable around water, but the conditions were treacherous.

There is a difference between clinging to a raft in calm waters and trying to hang on for you life while walls of water are crashing on you constantly for hours and hours. This was during a storm.

RIP all. Saddest story I've heard in awhile. Just hit close to home.

the_future23

Registered
Reaction score
For everyone saying "why is there 2 stories", when you go through hypothermia, you are very delusional and can't think straight. That is probably what the 1st story was. Who knows. I am sure this guy will get his story straight and in a few weeks go on CNN, ABC, NBC, etc and tell his story.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just think everyone is having trouble coming to grips with this situation. I think about these young men every day. It hurts. Life is so fragile.

perivolaki

perivolaki
Reaction score
For everyone saying "why is there 2 stories", when you go through hypothermia, you are very delusional and can't think straight. That is probably what the 1st story was. Who knows. I am sure this guy will get his story straight and in a few weeks go on CNN, ABC, NBC, etc and tell his story.

Exactly. The time thing can't be counted on either. People in stressful situations are poor judges of time. Remember, the boat flipped over, we don't know if these guys were injured in any way at all. They could have hit their heads, had broken ribs, or injested a lot of salt water.

Everyone wants answers but there will be some things we will just never know. People that have not been through a trauma sometimes don't remember things correctly so to count on this kids memory being completely accurate about times and what people were doing or thinking all while he's fighting for his own life in rough open seas is just asking to much.

Shogun

Never doubt Mitch. EVER.
Reaction score
Why the hell would you post this? You are criticizing them because YOU perceive that they didn't fight for their lives?

You weren't there. You DON'T know. I highly doubt that any of these man "gave up." If they let go it was because they couldn't make it any longer. Granted not all of the men may have been comfortable around water, but the conditions were treacherous.

There is a difference between clinging to a raft in calm waters and trying to hang on for you life while walls of water are crashing on you constantly for hours and hours. This was during a storm.

Agree 100%.

RedViper

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not pointing fingers or laying any blame on anyone. But I wish for the families sakes everyone dials down the rhetoric on how it unfolded, why this guy lived and the others didn't. Its impossible for the families not to feel worse when they have to hear how strong the survivor was, how he survived on sheer will alone, etc. There's no way they can hear that without taking a negative inference about their own loved one. And God knows these folks don't need to feel any worse. Its just a terrible thing. God help these folks.

LittleDavis

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Very sad and I agree. You could blame anyone at anytime for being ignorant.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard