Reaction score
:hangshead:

:shufflesawayintotheshadows:

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
Voters to choose between Golden Eagles, Hilltoppers
Associated Press

MILWAUKEE -- Marquette University students, season ticket-holders, faculty and alumni aren't straying far from tradition -- the two options they picked for a new nickname were already associated with the school.

A vote over the last couple weeks showed the two names that received the most attention out of 10 options were Golden Eagles and Hilltoppers, the current and a former nickname, respectively.

The hoopla started a year ago when two members from the Marquette Board of Trustees offered to give the school $1 million each if it returned the nickname to Warriors, which was changed in 1994 because it was insensitive to American Indians.

The school rejected the trustees' offer but said it may consider the change. Since then, the board officially rejected a return to Warriors and announced a new name of Gold, which caused a ruckus from students and alumni because they weren't consulted.

The board relented May 11 and opened the issue to a vote. The losing options were: Blue and Gold -- which was Marquette's first nickname from 1892-1916 -- Explorers, Golden Avalanche, Golden Knights, Saints, Spirit, Voyagers and Wolves.

Hilltoppers was connected with school athletics from 1917 until it was changed to Warriors in 1954. It was first used because the original Marquette building was built on top of a hill.

Hilltoppers was replaced by Warriors at the suggestion of a student panel that felt the name reflected the American Indians' close relationship with the Jesuits in settlement days.

In the latest balloting, the school said 31,501 voters cast 48,688 votes since they could each vote for two choices. That was nearly 30 percent of the total eligible voting population and three times the voter turnout in a November 2004 nickname survey.

The vote to pick a winner from the two finalists started Tuesday and runs through June 24.

Marquette officials said because of the large voting turnout they extended the second round of voting by five days. They are also allowing incoming students and university donors in the last fiscal year to vote.

The school said it would release the vote totals for the first 10 options after the final name is picked.

OP
OP
thirty-two

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dback Jon said:
Vote Golden Eagles!!

I voted Hilltoppers.

As much as I don't want to buy all new apparel.... I kinda like how it used to be our mascot back in the day... and im curious what our mascot would be :)

But I am happy with whatever is decided. I have a feeling it's gonna be Golden Eagles though. Which is gonna be so hilarious due to all the hoopla that this mascot deal has accumulated.

Djaughe

Reaction score
thirty-two said:
...As much as I don't want to buy all new apparel.... I kinda like how it used to be our mascot back in the day... and im curious what our mascot would be :)...

You voted fer something with no idea what it could be??

Okay...I'll buy that.

Assface

Like a boss
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Djaughe said:

Okay...I'll buy that.

That's how do things here in America.

:anotherreasontohateflorida:

OP
OP
thirty-two

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Djaughe said:

Okay...I'll buy that.

yeah, kind of an uneducated decision... :)

Assface

Like a boss
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Djaughe said:

Okay...I'll buy that.

She voted like that because someone edited the data. :wave: