Marquette.... WTF?!?!?!

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK so there's been a huge debate on campus on whether we should go back to being the Marquette "Warriors" instead of being the Marquette "Golden Eagles."

Well... today the Board of trustees made a final decision. We will not be using Warriors. I was ok with this until they said we will no longer be the Golden Eagles, either.

Instead we are the:

MARQUETTE UNIVERSITY "GOLD"

Have you ever heard of a more ridiculous nickname than that? And to think, we just moved to the Big East... teams are going to laugh us off the court.

Good lord, this ultra PC society is ruining EVERYTHING.

/end rant

OP
OP
thirty-two

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Djaughe said:

I know... I almost thought it was a cruel joke. But it's not. Which makes it that much worse.

Let's GO GOLD!!! YEAH!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbdown:

:sobs:

OP
OP
thirty-two

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
WizardOfAz said:
Actually, I think you'll be safe in the Big East:

:biglaugh:

that made me feel a little better

:|

OP
OP
thirty-two

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Marquette's new nickname ... the 'Gold'
Trustees decide to drop Golden Eagles moniker, not reinstate Warriors
By DON WALKER
[email protected]
Posted: May 4, 2005

Marquette Gold

The Marquette University Board of Trustees today decided to drop the Golden Eagles nickname in favor of a new one.

Beginning in July, the school's athletic teams will be known as ... the Marquette Gold.

The board decided to pass on going back to the "Warriors" nickname, the moniker that so many alumni had embraced for decades.

The highly anticipated announcement came from university president Robert A. Wild at a news conference at the Alumni Memorial Union.

"We live in a different era," Wild said in regard to the debate over whether to reinstate the Warriors nickname.

The nickname comes after several months of study and a steady stream of input from alumni, students, faculty and others.

The debate over Marquette's nickname effectively began in late 1993, when the school, sensitive that the word "Warriors" might offend Native Americans, decided to change the nickname. The next year, the Warriors became the Golden Eagles.

In May 2004, Marquette trustee Wayne Sanders made headlines when he said at the end of his commencement address that he and another unnamed trustee would each donate $1 million to the school if it switched back to Warriors. The school rejected the offer.

On campus, a group calling itself Marquette Students for Warriors claimed it had gathered nearly 900 signatures to present to the trustees in favor re-adopting the Warriors nickname. The group condemned stereotypical references to Native Americans, and argued that Warriors represent courage, strength and determination.

The Great Lakes Inter-Tribal Council, a group of Indian tribes in the region, didn't agree. Its leaders have said that, even if the university removes references to Indian imagery, the connotations remain

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/marq/may05/323576.asp

OP
OP
thirty-two

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i know im the only one who really cares about this, but im just REALLY annoyed right now! :bang:

Attachments

• ughhhh.jpg
    ughhhh.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 113

Assface

Like a boss
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"The Gold"...sounds like a dance team.

OP
OP
thirty-two

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Attachments

• goldmascot_125.jpg
    goldmascot_125.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 114
OP
OP
thirty-two

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess this makes the students "Goldmembers" now. :|

You must be registered for see images attach

OP
OP
thirty-two

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Assface said:
Your mascot is a slice of cheese? That kinda sucks.

Hell I'd even be happy with the Jumpin Jesuits :|

Attachments

• 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 115

Assface

Like a boss
Supporting Member
Reaction score
thirty-two said:
Hell I'd even be happy with the Jumpin Jesuits :|

You should write an angry letter. Maybe you can get it changed to the Marqutee Mmmbop. Then you can have Hanson play at school functions all the time. It's worth a shot.

OP
OP
thirty-two

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

OP
OP
thirty-two

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Marquette University News Briefs for May 4, 2005

Marquette “Gold” selected as new athletics nickname; new athletics monogram also announced

Marquette’s Board of Trustees announced today that the new athletics nickname will be the Marquette “Gold.” This name was chosen for its unique blending of the university’s old and new athletics traditions, and was one of the names suggested during nickname discussions in both 1994 and 2004. The change will be effective on July 1 when Marquette enters the BIG EAST Conference.

“Gold” boldly represents Marquette’s proud athletics traditions such as Golden Avalanche, Golden Eagles and Gold Rush, the current student fan section for basketball games. It has also become the signature color for Marquette athletics worn proudly around the country by Marquette students, alumni and fans. In athletics, the mark of a champion is often a gold medal or trophy.

The Board of Trustees voted not to reinstate the Warriors athletics nickname stating that as a Catholic, Jesuit university, it would hold itself to the highest possible standards of its mission, which include recognizing and appreciating the dignity of every person. Further, data collected in an online survey last fall of opinions and attitudes indicated that even 10 years after its introduction, the Golden Eagles nickname, logo and mascot have not generated with the Marquette community a strong sense of pride or identity. In the survey, the terms respondents most often used to describe the Golden Eagles nickname are boring (57 percent), weak (55 percent) and common (52 percent).

In the same survey, respondents indicated that Warriors signified strong, competitive and winning. The Board chose a nickname that represented those same strengths and that had been suggested in prior nickname discussions. Marquette “Gold” was the Board’s overwhelming favorite.

“I am really pleased that the Trustees have chosen this direction for Marquette athletics. The Board has chosen a name that reflects our desire to be champions,” said President Robert Wild, S.J. “With Marquette ‘Gold,’ the Board has captured decades of traditions in one profound term that symbolizes the high standards always set by our student-athletes and our coaches.

“While I recognize that some people will be disappointed that we are not reinstating the Warriors nickname, we cannot teach one principle about respect for human dignity in our classrooms and then fail to act by that same principle when making decisions,” Father Wild said. “The Warriors nickname will always be part of our proud athletics tradition, and we will honor that tradition. But we live in a different era than when the Warriors nickname was selected in 1954. The perspective of time has shown us that our actions, intended or not, can offend others. We must not knowingly act in a way that others will believe, based on their experience, to be an attack on their dignity as fellow human beings.

“We have all taken up this question in a serious manner. I am satisfied that people of good conscience will agree we have given this issue thoughtful study and consideration. I fully support the Board’s decision and am very excited about our future as the Marquette ‘Gold’ in the BIG EAST Conference,” Father Wild concluded.

The Board made its decision after nearly a year of gathering feedback from students, alumni, faculty, staff and the community.

“As an alumnus of the 1960s, it is probably pretty obvious where I stood on the Warriors question when we opened our discussions,” said John Bergstrom, chair of the Board of Trustees. “But after my own conversations with tribal leaders, I became convinced that the Warriors nickname could not be separated from past imagery. As the Board moved deeper into this process, it became clear to all of us that as stewards of the university’s mission, we had to be guided by conscience, not emotion. When we looked at the opportunity to give our teams a name that captures excellence in a single word, we knew we had our answer. Our alumni and our traditions matter. And I can tell you that the Board stands overwhelmingly behind this decision.

“Now let’s grab hold of this golden opportunity as Marquette heads into the BIG EAST Conference,” Bergstrom concluded.

The new nickname can launch a renewed effort to celebrate Marquette’s athletics traditions and its winning future. The Board specifically directed that alumni, students and fans be fully engaged in the development of the Marquette “Gold” identity and mascot. Plans for a new mascot will be announced at the start of the new school year this fall.

The university also introduced today a new “MU” monogram that will be used to visually identify Marquette athletics. The creation of the “MU” monogram is a direct response to last fall’s survey respondents’ desire that Marquette have a distinct “MU” symbol. The “MU” monogram will appear on uniforms, printed materials, merchandise, and on the floor of the McGuire Center and the Bradley Center. Work on the McGuire Center floor will begin this week in order to use the small window of time between the end of the last season and the start of the summer basketball camps. More information about the new “MU” monogram is available at the university’s Web site at http://www.marquette.edu/nickname.

Background:

Marquette University reopened discussion of the athletics nickname issue following Commencement in May 2004 when Wayne Sanders, vice chair of the Board of Trustees, offered a $1 million gift, which would be matched by another, anonymous trustee, if the university would change its nickname back to Warriors “in an honorable way that would offend no one.”

Marquette President Robert Wild, S.J, immediately declined the gift but agreed to put the question on the table for the Board to consider.

In September 2004, the Board of Trustees decided that it would consider the question of returning to the Warriors nickname and passed a resolution prohibiting all future use of Native American references or imagery in the Marquette athletics nickname, mascot or logo.

The Board also asked for an open dialogue to gather viewpoints on this issue. The process included:

An extensive online survey taken by more than 9,000 Marquette students, alumni, faculty and staff. Participants were asked for their attitudes, emotions and viewpoints about the “Golden Eagles” and “Warriors;”

Ongoing dialogue with members of the Native American community;

A fact-finding committee made up of Trustees, students, alumni, faculty and staff;

Focus groups of students, alumni and faculty;

A series of stakeholder forums;

Consideration of letters, e-mails and calls from the community; and

A dedicated Web site informing members of the Marquette community on this issue.

OP
OP
thirty-two

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK I'm done now.

*cries in the corner*

Last edited:

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
At least you aren't the Marquette Taliban

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did they even consider the Marquette Feral Cats? :shrug:

Marquette Gold ... SUCKS !!

: poorkate :

OP
OP
thirty-two

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Brian in Mesa said:
Did they even consider the Marquette Feral Cats? :shrug:

Marquette Gold ... SUCKS !!

: poorkate :

One of my friends said he would have been happy with Marquette Homosexuals. Because at least gays scare some people. Gold? Not so much.

(hope that wasn't too offensive jon.. )

Brian

PANEM ET CIRCENSES
Reaction score
You would think that SOMEBODY on the board of trustees would give a crap about the results of the on-line poll you posted. 98% doesn't leave room for a lot of gray area. (oops, did I say "gray", I meant gold).

Look at the bright side. No one gives a hoot about Marquette athletics anyway, so no one will even notice. Nothing to be embarrassed about.

Sorta like if the University of Alaska at Juneau changed their name to the "Hemorrhoid Havin' Walruses". Same difference.

Feel better?

:D :wave:

Assface

Like a boss
Supporting Member
Reaction score
HarleyRider said:
You would think that SOMEBODY on the board of trustees would give a crap about the results of the on-line poll you posted. 98% doesn't leave room for a lot of gray area. (oops, did I say "gray", I meant gold).

Look at the bright side. No one gives a hoot about Marquette athletics anyway, so no one will even notice. Nothing to be embarrassed about.

Sorta like if the University of Alaska at Juneau changed their name to the "Hemorrhoid Havin' Walruses". Same difference.

Feel better?

Pffft, they don't even have a football team. :doi:

Speaking of Marquette athletics our own Kate's intramural basketball team is back to back champions. She's too modest to brag about it though. If I was handing out bball smackdowns like that I'd make sure everyone knew about it. :D

OP
OP
thirty-two

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
HarleyRider said:

Feel better?

I'm going to kick your ass someday. Oh yes. :D

OP
OP
thirty-two

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Assface said:
Pffft, they don't even have a football team. :doi:

Speaking of Marquette athletics our own Kate's intramural basketball team is back to back champions. She's too modest to brag about it though. If I was handing out bball smackdowns like that I'd make sure everyone knew about it. :D

We used to have a football team... I wish we still did. Sometimes I question why I went to a college with no football team, considering I love watching football.

I think I'm going to require that wherever I go to grad school must have a football program. :thud:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard