Marco Wilson, Addition by Subtraction

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I slammed this guy when he was drafted and continued to do so throughout his time with the Cards. The stats are out illustrating the league clearly understood how bad he was. I’m still stunned they kept rolling him out there though he never showed improvement. He was the king of cushion; a CB with no self-confidence.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Harry's original take on Marco in his draft thread:

Forget BPA, this was a need pick. This is an outstanding athlete who should be an impact player, but simply isn’t. I don’t like the pick. I’ve seen a million of these guys where someone is sure they can take them and “fix” him. They can’t IMO. It looks to me like he lacks grit. He’s a poor tackler though his measurables say he should be solid. In coverage he loses track of his man too often when that man is headed deep. He doesn’t mirror well on short routes.

He is so athletic he sometimes stumbles into a good play but I’m not sure it’s intentional. It’s weird, he’ll celebrate a good play, like he’s competitive, but on the next play seem disinterested. Maybe he doesn’t like football. If he decided it was important to him he might become a player, but frankly I doubt it. What a waste of talent. I wish the Cards had a great mentor to pair with him, but I’m far from confident that would be enough.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
The amount of piling on regarding a 4th round pick is kinda funny. I don't believe anyone is arguing he was good.
yep

most 4th rounders dont make it

I feel like Marco fell victim to some coaching hype -- looked promising early, the coaches told the media what a good player this is -- and then the league found his weaknesses