Manny to Dodgers: Anyone worried?

Phill11

The Payphone Man
Reaction score
We didn't make a huge splash. The Dodgers did by trading for Manny in a 3 way trade. Is anyone worried?

I'm not. We've struggled lately and if we can string together a good win streak we might begin to run away with the division.

Avondale Red Rage

Just wondering...
Reaction score
We didn't make a huge splash. The Dodgers did by trading for Manny in a 3 way trade. Is anyone worried?

I'm not. We've struggled lately and if we can string together a good win streak we might begin to run away with the division.

I'm not either. With our pitching we're still a better team.

dogpoo32

meh
Reaction score
Nah. He will hit a couple out off us, but overall the Dodgers are only slightly better than they were yesterday. We need to get better, but the Didgers don't scare me none.

Brian

PANEM ET CIRCENSES
Reaction score
Am I worried?

Nope.

My biggest worry is what we will get from RJ and DD the rest of the way.

jjdowney

Reaction score
DD was very good at the end of last season, and has been dealing as of late. He has always been a 'second half' guy. and Randy has the motivation of 300 for him. He'll be busting his butt to get wins. That enough for me right now.

scXfreakX

Huh?
Reaction score
We've started to play better as of late. The Dodgers got better. I don't know, I mean, we are doing better, but still, Manny is a great player and this just makes it harder on us.

Stallion

Cats, Cards, Bax, Suns
Reaction score
There's nothing wrong with saying the Dodgers just got better. They got just the kind of hitter our lineup is missing. Good trade for them.

At least we get to play them one more time without him. :)

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All we needed to get better, it turns out, was to start playing our division again. I thought we wouldn't win the division after that gag job in the 9th against the Dodgers. But, it actually seemed to spark us.

I don't think LA and Manny will be a good mix. Just a feeling.

TucsonDevil

Good to be back!
Reaction score
I am.

It is important to note, however, that the D-Backs did make a late trade to help the team - they traded for John Rauch. He isn't a total stud, but he improved our depleted bullpen. I have been pleased with his performances so far (except for that ridiculous neck tattoo, I thought only gang bangers and skin heads got neck tattoos.).

All-in-all, D-Backs have the pitching to go to the WS, the question was could they score any runs... the bats are coming alive, and the base-running is much more aggressive. I like our chances, but the Dodgers just made a big move and addressed their glaring weakness. How can that not give me cause for concern?

Nasser22

Sec. 32: Go Devils!
Reaction score
I am terrified of the Dodgers right now. They have just become the favorites in the divisions. However, I still feel that the D-Backs have a good chance at holding on to this division lead, especially with a win in this series. This team is more talented than the NLCS team of last year and as time has gone by this season, we are improving on our weaknesses and inconsistencies.

As TD said, the addition of Rauch has strengthened our bullpen and it is now better than it has been for as long as I can remember. The offense is back and it will not drop off so drastically because Melvin has now gone back to his aggressive managing that won us many games in the second half last season. Young and Reynolds' bats are heating up and we are set to go on another great stretch like that of April's. If the Dodgers did not get Manny, they wouldn't have had a chance. Now I just see it as a great race to the finish..

It would really help if we'd have a 3 or 5 game lead after this series though. :)

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
His fielding will cost them a couple of games. His bat may win a few games, but honestly, who is in their lineup that can protect him? I predict that teams are largely able to pitch around him.

My respect for the Red Sox just went up slightly, while my respect for the Dodgers just hit an all-time low. This guy is scum.

Nasser22

Reaction score
His fielding will cost them a couple of games. His bat may win a few games, but honestly, who is in their lineup that can protect him? I predict that teams are largely able to pitch around him.

My respect for the Red Sox just went up slightly, while my respect for the Dodgers just hit an all-time low. This guy is scum.
Two near .300 hitters with decent power in Martin and Kemp who will improve with a guy like Manny in the line-up.

The offense will get a nice boost from adding Manny.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Two near .300 hitters with decent power in Martin and Kemp who will improve with a guy like Manny in the line-up.

The offense will get a nice boost from adding Manny.
Dodger Stadium is almost the anti-Fenway. Dodger Stadium is cavernous. Maybe that will effect Manny. ???

Nasser22

Reaction score
He's still an All-Star hitter...doubles or home runs, he'll get the job done and make their offense quite a bit better. That is a plus for us though I guess.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I'm not either. With our pitching we're still a better team.
With our lineups (before Ramirez) so similar, I thought the same thing.

Then I saw that the Dodgers pitchers have the lowest staff ERA in the league. I was surprised.

It will be interesting to see if Manny in the heart of their order will make the current middle of the lineup guys better.

That's what we were saying about the D'backs, when we hoped to get an established power hitter.

Time will tell. Especially in the next few games, now that our two Cy Young candidates have pitched.

It's interesting how Haren now starts in front of Webb. I know, the All Star game changed that around.