Making a case for Andre Johnson

Lomax to Green 84

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
6'2" 230 lbs. and a 4.3 40. David Boston's numbers you ask? Yes, but also Andre Johnson's. Many on this board, myself included, are frustrated at the thought of drafting Johnson because it seems to be typical Cardinal business practice: Lose a good player (Boston) to free agency and then replace him with a top draft pick. Its the horizontal approach (losing and replacing, losing and replacing) and never getting any better. However, this does not appear to be a typical Cardinal offseason. Things looked incredibly bleak 4 weeks ago, but the front office has made some things happen.

The eternal optimist could look at the current Cardinal roster and say that the Cards are only 2 players away from making a serious playoff run. The offensive line looks strong with excellent depth, the quarterback situation appears better than last year, our running back situation is much improved, the linebackers are fast and we have good depth, and our secondary is as fast as it has been in years.

The two glaring weaknesses that must be addressed are a go to #1 receiver and a stud pass rusher. The eternal optimist would go so far as to say that we have a decent #2 in either McAddley or Jenkins if he resigns, a decent #3 in Kasper, and an unknown but speedy #3 or #4 in Bryan Gilmore. Also the eternal optimist would say that we are at least relatively deep at the defensive tackle position with 3 serviceable lunchpale types and one (Wendell Bryant) who has potential to be very good. We have 2 blue collar scrappers at defensive end (Vandenbosch and Wakefield) and a raw unknown talent in Dennis Johnson.

The two obvious choices in the draft that the Cards appear to have somewhat of a chance at are Terrell Suggs and Andre Johnson. Suggs, despite the less than stellar workout, still is a longshot to be there at #6. My guess is that he tells his workout guru to take a hike, gets his weight back to a more natural 248-252 (Andre Carter like) and runs a very respectable 4.6 and gets back into the good graces of the Texans and Bears. Johnson may very well be there at #6. Questions abound about his concentration, the fact that very few receivers make an impact their rookie year, and his hands. There are, however, no questions regarding his physical tools (tremendous size, great speed, great leaping ability).

Why does Andre Johnson make sense? Compare Johnson as a draft eligible junior to David Boston as a draft eligible junior. Johnson is both bigger and faster than Boston was when Boston first came out. Johnson would have the guidance of Jerry Sullivan that Boston did not have his first 2 seasons. Johnson would have a quarterback who specializes in the deep pass and Boston had Plummer who was absolutely horrible in 1999. Many say that Boston made zero impact his rookie season, but if you recall he did quite well in the games that Dave Brown played in because they let Boston go deep and Brown threw a nice deep ball.

The Cardinals are not going to solve all of their weaknesses in one offseason. They need to pick and choose what they address and what they hope they can fill with the current roster. There certainly is temptation to trade away draft choices to move up to guarantee a spot for Suggs, but the safest and smartest choice would be to sit still at #6 and let the best guy fall your way. If neither Suggs or Johnson is there at #6 then look to trade down.

Just a long winded thought.

BuckeyeCardinal

Cantankerous Curmudgeon
Reaction score
I Wanna

I want to say yes to this....but AJ is no David Boston.

This looks like a Thomas Jones pick.....I hope I'm wrong and will gladly eat crow if he becomes a #1 receiver......for anybody....but he didn't impress me in the NC game....he was defended by a safety playing cornerback and a wide receiver playing cornerback.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Johnson is a great value pick in #s 11-20.

He's a bit of a reach in picks 7-10.

He's a total disaster at #6.

Teams with a pick in the second 10 of the first round are arguably a player or two away from playoff contention, and can either reach a little or take the best player available. Teams with a pick in the Top 10 have to choose the best player available among the positions that they are most in need.

You can get a better player in a spot you need (DT, DE, even CB) with the #6 than you get in Johnson.

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
Originally posted by kerouac9
Johnson is a great value pick in #s 11-20.

He's a bit of a reach in picks 7-10.

He's a total disaster at #6.

Teams with a pick in the second 10 of the first round are arguably a player or two away from playoff contention, and can either reach a little or take the best player available. Teams with a pick in the Top 10 have to choose the best player available among the positions that they are most in need.

You can get a better player in a spot you need (DT, DE, even CB) with the #6 than you get in Johnson.

Interesting...

Ed B

The Matt Joyce of Posting
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
He's talented but he's a project, and we need someone at #6 who can help NOW.

I think people are floored by his workout #s but haven't seen him play much. He's just a playground player. He catches a lot of balls because he's bigger and faster than everyone. He can't run routes or catch.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Originally posted by Holian
6'2" 230 lbs. and a 4.3 40. David Boston's numbers you ask?

No, those are Tyrone Calico's numbers (though Calico is actually around 6'4").

Last edited:

Mr. Boldin

Mel Kiper's Daddy
Reaction score
Johnson looked terrible cause Dorsey could not get him the ball. Plus the fact that Gamble was doing everythin he could to stay on his tail. Did you see Johnson in the 2001 Rose Bowl? As a soph he broke out vs a good Blackshirt D. He is a track star, huge and would be taught by the best (Sully). I just dont see us taking him, unless we think we can sign more D FAs, or we think he is the missing piece on offense.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I understand the concerns of everyone who is upset and frustrated about the loss of DB and our current WR's. I just think everyone should review some tapes of last year and relive the nightmare that was our pass rush and in many games run defense. Experience those painfully long drives that kept our O off the field and wore down the D. Watch again and again the QB scanning the field forever without a hint of a pass rush. I mean zero pressure on the QB.

Now when your watch our Offense you will find the biggest frustration at 9 men in the box stuffing the run, and a QB that threw ducks and never ever seemed to look to his 2nd or third option on receiving routes. You will also see Gilmore and F. Jones open and waving their arms as if trying to fly. You will see DB dropping ball after ball and passes that have as much accuracy as a scud missle. Early in the year you will see TJ getting knocked down by minor hits or at times phantom hits. You will also see at times McAddley getting open and making some great clutch receptions.

My point is we now have a QB who can read D's and throw an accurate ball. The other receivers will get looks and the offensive game plan will stand a chance of working. The running game will be far more effective because of Hodgins and his lead blocking, Emmitt and Shipp breaking arm tackles and abilities to find the hole, and a QB who can actually execute the play action pass. The Offense won't be as exciting or effective as the Rams but it won't be the same mess it has been for the past 5 to 6 years.

The defense however is still very much a work in progress and we need a stud DE, DT and a true shut down CB. I have advocated taking the BPA in almost every round in this draft and so if Suggs, Robertson, Newman or even Trufant are still there they are almost a lock to be as good as Andre Johnson and fill a bigger need. I would even take Leftwich or Palmer over Johnson. Sully and crew will be able to get a WR in later rounds who will help this team, expect a value pick at this position late day 1 or even on day 2.

I also agree that the Cards should add a vet FA WR to solidify this unit. The good news is every year this type of player becomes available.

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score
If Suggs and Johnson are there, you take Suggs...

Why:

1. DE Pass rushers are much harder to find than WR's. There is always at least one good WR in every Draft. Superstar DE's come rarely.

2. He is from Arizona.

3. HE WANTS TO PLAY HERE! How often does a player say that!

4. We have NO pass rush.

Get SUGGS!

:thumbup:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn