Mahomes vs Murray

Cardinal88

Veteran
Reaction score
Watching Mahomes power through last night and it got me to thinking…Mahomes vs Murray
- both from Texas
- both played for Kingsbury
- both athletic QBs
- both cursed at their coaches on tv
- one will fight through a wall to win
- one supports his teammates
- one is dedicated to his craft
- one plays through pain
- one is a Super Bowl winner
Guess we got the “OTHER” one

What other similarities or differences do you all see?

swagron

All Star
Reaction score
Watching Mahomes power through last night and it got me to thinking…Mahomes vs Murray
- both from Texas
- both athletic QBs
- one plays through pain

1-4 similar.
5-9 where all similarities end.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
- both from Texas
- both athletic QBs
- one plays through pain

Yep. This is where all the "Kyler is an elite QB" nonsense falls apart. He is so far away from being one of the elite QBs in the NFL it is astonishing.

OP
OP
C

Cardinal88

Veteran
Reaction score
If we traded up to get Mahomes I bet Arians wouldn’t have retired and the last few seasons would have been drastically better
We won’t know if Arians would have stayed but I would have enjoyed the ride. That meant we were relative for more than a year or two. I’d just like to be good and fighting for playoffs for a ten year run.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
- both from Texas
- both athletic QBs
- one plays through pain

One makes better decisions under pressure.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
If Mahomes started his career here we'd still be wondering just how good he is. But we'd never question his ability to want to be great.

If Kyler started with Reid and the Chiefs then we'd be saying why is Mahomes not as good as Murray. However, he'd probably never win big like Mahomes did(on the Chiefs)

The key difference is one was a known superstar in Texas at 15 and the other was an afterthought.

Kyler faced adversity just one time in his career (Texas A&M) and didnt handle it well. Mahomes went through hell at Tech and came out better for it. Kyler went to OU and just blamed Texas A&M for his previous struggles.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
it’s easy to say that Mahomes is much better than Kyler was also acknowledging that he’s also in a better situation. I doubt the talent gap is such that if their organizations were flipped that so too would their career performances but also logical that situations have played a role in each of their developments. Remember Mahomes didn’t win a damn thing under Kliff either.

swagron

All Star
Reaction score
it’s easy to say that Mahomes is much better than Kyler was also acknowledging that he’s also in a better situation. I doubt the talent gap is such that if their organizations were flipped that so too would their career performances but also logical that situations have played a role in each of their developments. Remember Mahomes didn’t win a damn thing under Kliff either.
I think it’s also easy to say Mahomes on the Cardinals would not have regressed like KM has. Mahomes has the “it” factor to overcome - KM doesn’t.

OP
OP
C

Cardinal88

Veteran
Reaction score
I think I said "Kyler could never" like 20 times yesterday across both games.... K1 is so damn frustrating and I want him gone... I'm an OU grad that was all in on K1 but it is clear that he is not that guy, pal.
Coming from you and SoonerLou means something. I follow OU and never expected to see this from him. I just wish he would take his craft seriously by diving into defenses. His comments about never needing to study or therabouts shows how high of a pedistal he puts himsef on.

Zalixar

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Right Mahomes is obviously better. But he wouldn’t be this Mahomes if he was playing under Kliff vs Reid. Situation does matter to some extent.

Does Kliff get all criticism for everything but no credit in helping Mahomes? Even become a first round pick? Or getting us to 11 wins? Obviously Reid helped Mahomes get to the next level as he's one of the best of all time, and Klif didn't do it for Kyler. Will he ever get to the next level though?

Didn't they routinely lose even when scoring 30-40 points? Even when Mahomes gets 400-500 yards+? We know talent at TT was not good. Partially why we went VJ to essentially be the assistant HC as the DC.

The main issue is KK becoming a HC, not an OC. And we all know Keim and Mike suck and the jury still out for Kyler, but it's not looking promising.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Does Kliff get all criticism for everything but no credit in helping Mahomes? Even become a first round pick? Or getting us to 11 wins? Obviously Reid helped Mahomes get to the next level as he's one of the best of all time, and Klif didn't do it for Kyler. Will he ever get to the next level though?

Didn't they routinely lose even when scoring 30-40 points? Even when Mahomes gets 400-500 yards+? We know talent at TT was not good. Partially why we went VJ to essentially be the assistant HC as the DC.

The main issue is KK becoming a HC, not an OC. And we all know Keim and Mike suck and the jury still out for Kyler, but it's not looking promising.
Kyler averaged an insane three more YPA than Mahomes in their last respective years in school. That is purely coaching malpractice. Not going to watch old Tech games but assume that stat likely due to too many screen calls.

Zalixar

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Kyler averaged an insane three more YPA than Mahomes in their last respective years in school. That is purely coaching malpractice. Not going to watch old Tech games but assume that stat likely due to too many screen calls.
It seems Kyler is more of a 1 hit wonder, that also gave Baker the Hesiman.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Hey, i hate on kyler as much as the next guy.
But lets be realistic. The situations are vastly different and that makes a huge difference in player development.

Here is a hot take for ya.... kyler is more talented than mahomes...not by much, but a little...and until this season he threw a much better deep ball.

But mahomes got to sit behind Alex Smith for a year...then got dropped into Andy Reids offense. Didnt Andy Reid go to the nfcc game like 4 years in a row with donovan mcnabb? The qb who couldnt get a job when he left the eagles?

Kyler got thrown to the wolves under the guidance of a failed college coach, in the toughest division in football while being supported by a defense filled with retirees and car salesmen.

I have often questioned or snarked on his heart, toughness,and guts.
But ask yourself this. Would you throw yourself headlong into a 300lb professional athlete to gain 1 yard for an organization that has done **** all to help you succeed?

Then, sometimes it takes a while for the switch to flip for some guys. It aint too late for Kyler Murray to have a HoF career

reebokalone2001

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Exactly, don't forget Mahomes was a three star kid that only got three offers from Rice, Oklahoma State and Texas Tech out of high school. Kliff took a chance on him and developed him at least to be the No. 10 Overall pick. It's no doubt Reid made what he is today, but if Kliff doesn't deserve credit there (from having only three FBS offers to the top 10 pick in the nfl draft), I don't know if he will ever be credited for anything.

Zalixar

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Yeah except of course those pesky 3 years in the NFL when he played very well.

Played very well for 3 years? What? Failed in 2 home stretches and 1 full season and completely failed his playoff debut. Added up, 2 full years of good play best, even if you include rookie year of 5 wins.

When he wasn't injured. When he wasn't a turnover machine. When he didn't often miss receivers (don't mean accuracy wise, just missed them completely) he played very well in in stretches yes and even elite at times. He has played pretty decent overall. Nothing that screams upper echelon or elite and is fringe top 10. He can't put a complete season together and that's why the jury is still out and why we have to wait until 2024 to see it.

What happens when we get another 2021 season?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose