I am adding this to my BB Q. lol

OP
OP
Pariah

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rick was like a a playboy kinda guy.... did he just use that to get chicks? Doesn't his stepfather have a part in later seasons?
In the pilot he didn't run the King Kamehameha Club, he owned a disco called "Rick's Place," but know to the underbelly of Honolulu as "The Ice Palace," and the implication was that it was where it was always "snowing" (ie coke was readily available).

I don't know how many chicks he would have gotten if he had stuck with his original character--they made him out to be a Bogart wannabe. He even said to his DJ in the disco club, "play it again, sam." ugh. I'm glad they wrote that out.

Was Rick's stepfather "Icepick?"

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
J,

How do Magnum's love interests measure up by today's standards?

OP
OP
Pariah

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
J,

How do Magnum's love interests measure up by today's standards?
Pretty good. He gets to hang out with all the "stews" that Robin Masters lets crash at the house. So far there have been a couple of mostly naked swedish stews, and reference to a smoking hot french stew.

Then, in the second episode, he nails a "China Doll" (name of the ep).

That's as far as I've gotten so far.

Oh, yeah, he also bags the sister of his dead navy buddy, which I thought was sorta gross (the line he crossed, not the sister). But, that was in the pilot (airdate 12/11/80), and they had a lot of stuff in that that never appeared in the subsequent episodes.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So do you recommend people adding the early seasons to the AnQuan Boldin?

OP
OP
Pariah

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you like Magnum, hell yeah. If you're so young you missed it? I dunno. It's not that I don't think it's good TV--I do. But, I think a lot of its appeal is nostalgia for me.

Shows in the early 80's didn't suck you in in the same way a show like Lost or Firefly does.

But, then on the other hand, they did work a thread of intrigue throught the show with the "who's robin masters" thing and at the end the recurring subplots about his wife and what happened in VN.

Also, the great thing about TV back then was you could count on a self-contained story to be started and finished in 45 minutes (not counting commercials).

I'd say add it to the BB Q, but I'm not promising you the same satisfaction that I get from it. (oddly enough, this is almost the exact same phrase with which I start out all of my sexual encounters)

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So do you recommend people adding the early seasons to the AnQuan Boldin?

:burgerking:

Anquan should grow a thick 'stache and make the new Magnum PI. He's already in Hawaii every year for the Pro Bowl.

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Season 6 (!) came out today on DVD.

OP
OP
Pariah

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Update:

It wasn't until the 11th episode of the first season that they switched the theme song to the one we're all familiar with.

Also, in episode 13 (?) Ted Danson was a guest star, though I don't think he really qualified as a "star" at that point in his career. Boy, he sure was skinny.

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I saw an ad for the show on Sleuth shown on Universal HD. Makes me want to bump it up the queue.

On what network did Magnum air? CBS? I remember watching a few eps with my mom as a kid.

OP
OP
Pariah

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I saw an ad for the show on Sleuth shown on Universal HD. Makes me want to bump it up the queue.

On what network did Magnum air? CBS? I remember watching a few eps with my mom as a kid.
I forget what netowrk it was on, but CBS sounds right.

I'm certain that some of my love for the show is nostalgia, but I really like it. It's a little campy and predictable, but I've really been enjoying it.

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm certain that some of my love for the show is nostalgia, but I really like it. It's a little campy and predictable, but I've really been enjoying it.

Oh I understand that. I still watch Saved by the Bell reruns ffs. I enjoy a lot of tv and kind of how shows fit into the landscape at the time and their effects on what we see today. Being in NYC and going to to The Museum of Television and Radio last summer was awesome.