OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Irony: George is all about altering his older films. But...he spoke out against colorization, saying he wanted the films he watched when he was young "preserved, so that my children can see them."

He wanted the films of his youth left alone and preserved "as they were," but it's perfectly fine for him to go against that and make alterations to his films - basically destroying the versions of my youth (and the youth of many fans).

What a joke.

Hey, George. Quit re-visiting the past. Work on The Clone Wars (animated series), the new live action TV show, or...here's an idea...come up with a new film or film franchise not based on anything you've done before.

P.S. Han shot first.

:jedi:

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Why wont he stop Brian? Why? SOMEONE MAKE HIM STOP!

He has enough money...

Eh, what am I saying, between the prequels and going back and putting ridiculous digital dinosaurs in the originals he's already pretty much ruined everything that was good about star wars so why not.

I wont see them so I'm not worried about it.

Seriously, Lucas is like one of those plastic LA housewives who go get their faces "updated" every 5 years. He's addicted.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Not a fan of 3-D, in general...but, I would like to get these on Blu-Ray...Does anyone know if they have been released in that format?

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not a fan of 3-D, in general...but, I would like to get these on Blu-Ray...Does anyone know if they have been released in that format?

Not yet. Fall 2011 - according to an announcement at Star Wars Celebration V.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why wont he stop Brian? Why? SOMEONE MAKE HIM STOP!

He has enough money...

Eh, what am I saying, between the prequels and going back and putting ridiculous digital dinosaurs in the originals he's already pretty much ruined everything that was good about star wars so why not.

I wont see them so I'm not worried about it.

Seriously, Lucas is like one of those plastic LA housewives who go get their faces "updated" every 5 years. He's addicted.

Why? It is his creation. He can do whatever he wants with it.

I love to see people complain about things like this. It won't matter to Lucas or his legacy. If he is doing it for money, who cares. To try and perfect something that is near perfect, who cares.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So Star Wars I-III are the crappy ones, right? How can those be successful rereleases? I will be 50 by the time A New Hope comes out?

Raise your hand if you think 3D will improve the crappy "prequel" Star Wars? Will 3D improve Hayden C as Vader? I think not.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Why? It is his creation. He can do whatever he wants with it.

I love to see people complain about things like this. It won't matter to Lucas or his legacy. If he is doing it for money, who cares. To try and perfect something that is near perfect, who cares.

Why complain? Doesn't he make it impossible to get the original movies now? Hey, go make a buck all you want, but don't deny the public the actual first run movies.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So Star Wars I-III are the crappy ones, right? How can those be successful rereleases? I will be 50 by the time A New Hope comes out?

Raise your hand if you think 3D will improve the crappy "prequel" Star Wars? Will 3D improve Hayden C as Vader? I think not.

I actually like all 6 movies, with Episode I being my least favorite.

Why complain? Doesn't he make it impossible to get the original movies now? Hey, go make a buck all you want, but don't deny the public the actual first run movies.

Yeah. That kind of thing happens. You only got the originals on VHS/Betamax from what I understand. On DVD, you got a new digital transfer. Not the original, but something that generally wasn't worth complaint I guess. (even though it wasn't the original) You have access to the movies there.

Yes, he releases things on his schedule, but so does Disney notoriously and most every other studio as well.
Directors/Studios release director's cuts, bonus footage etc. all the time without this type of venom.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

You must be registered for see images

Awesome set, and probably the #1 reason why I haven't given up my laserdisc players.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am not surprised to see Lucas come out with them in 3D. Certain scenes might lend themselves really well with 3D. For instance the Endor chase scene with the Biker scouts. It's just another way to enjoy the movies. Doing this won't be geared toward first generation fans of the films anyway. It's for the next generation of kids out there enjoying 3D.

Purest don't get that these different versions of the films are not necessarily for them. They are meant to be inclusive while pulling in new generations of fans. Fans that are more sophisticated with higher expectations in regards to FX etc. I don't get the entire thing about Lucas ruining your childhood memories etc. These new versions don't taint my childhood one bit or my love for the movies. I have been a die hard Star Wars fan my entire life and it's easily the movie that impacted my generation and my older brothers generation in terms of sci fi.

I for one have loved the additions of footage and updated FX in the special editions of the films. In my opinion they are superior to the original releases. Just because they are not the "original" doesn't make them inferior. The updated FX and insertion of scenes gave me something new to see. Not to mention the purists don't understand is that even some of the scenes that have been altered are really not "revisions". They are in fact his original ideas that he could not fit into the budget or didn't have time to do the way he wanted. So, if the new versions of scenes fit his original vision...that is the most pure version of the film IMO.

Not all die hard Star Wars fans are purists and I know a ton of fans who prefer the Special Editions over the originals.

In terms of the prequels, I admit I didn't like the prequel trilogy as much as I liked the originals but I still enjoyed them. Better yet, the prequels made my son a huge fan of the Star War universe and he loves them. My son was pretty young when the first prequel came out but now he has seen them all. He likes the prequels better then the original trilogy. Mainly because he loves the Clone Troopers.

I am all for Lucas doing what he wants for his creation. Again nothing he has done ruins it for me or fundamentally changes my memories of Star Wars growing up. I am still holding out hope he adds more deleted footage I have seen from the originals and a couple scenes he never was able to film for the prequels.

Last edited:

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
I actually like all 6 movies, with Episode I being my least favorite.

Agreed.

I think people need a little perspective.

Star Wars, the first three movies made, were special effects revolutions in themselves. Back in the day, it was revoluationary, AND we were younger.

The last three were "old hat" for special effects and thus needed to rely on the characters and plot.

And no offense the characters and plot (in all the movies) are about as deep as a Clint Eastwood spaghetti western. Not to knock either since, I love both types of movies, but you have to take for what it is.

For all those who always wanted 100% action, and to "find out how Darth Vader became Darth Vader." Just watch the Clone Wars.

Speaking of the Clone Wars series, any complaints about the last three movies should be null and void cause Clone Wars is flippin' awesome. I religiously watch that series, and love it.

I think people are just angry that the movies infringed on their childhood nostalgia, and maybe, just maybe those old Star Wars movies were as cheesey as the new ones.

What happened to watching a "Flick" and not needing it to be Oscar worthy.

I am with DCR, I have enjoyed all the movies.

When are they going to do the back story of the most bad-ass jedi of them all, Obi-Wan Kanobi ?

That is what I want to know.

Last edited:

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agreed.

I think people need a little perspective.

Star Wars, the first three movies made, were special effects revolutions in themselves. Back in the day, it was revoluationary, AND we were younger.

The last three were "old hat" for special effects and thus needed to rely on the characters and plot.

And no offense the characters and plot (in all the movies) are about as deep as a Clint Eastwood spaghetti western. Not to knock either since, I love both types of movies, but you have to take for what it is.

For all those who always wanted 100% action, and to "find out how Darth Vader became Darth Vader." Just watch the Clone Wars.

Speaking of the Clone Wars series, any complaints about the last three movies should be null and void cause Clone Wars is flippin' awesome. I religiously watch that series, and love it.

I think people are just angry that the movies infringed on their childhood nostalgia, and maybe, just maybe those old Star Wars movies were as cheesey as the new ones.

What happened to watching a "Flick" and not needing it to be Oscar worthy.

I am with DCR, I have enjoyed all the movies.

When are they going to do the back story of the most bad-ass jedi of them all, Obi-Wan Kanobi ?

That is what I want to know.
You mean an original movie? Sure buddy.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can refute that in three words.

Han shot first.

And I can refute that in 2. Who cares?

The idea was that Han would never have shot someone in cold blood. He changed the scene to match the kind of person Han really was in the rest of the films.

That also doesn't invalidate the numerous other improvements made to the originals. In fact, I will say George didn't take it far enough. I want to see a new CGI Rancor. That scene has not aged well and is beyond bad. I want to see some of the tie fighter fight sequences either cleaned up or redone to get rid of the boxes that show up even on the DVD transfer. I wan't some of the horrible mat painting backrounds in some scenes replaced they are so bad. When my son who is 10 (7 or 8 at the time) asks me why those scenes look so fake.....that says alot.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And I can refute that in 2. Who cares?

The idea was that Han would never have shot someone in cold blood. He changed the scene to match the kind of person Han really was in the rest of the films.

Wrong.

Greedo had the draw on him (or so he thought). You're acting like Greedo was an unarmed bar patron or something.

Han was involved in smuggling and had a bounty on his head.

It is a very important scene.

Ever heard of a character arc?

He's one of cinema's most revered characters because of the changes he goes through over the course of the trilogy...not because he was "always the same guy."

He starts out ruthless and materialistic and becomes compassionate.

Without that scene...what he does at the end of the film doesn't mean as much...when he already has all he needs and normally would have left for good...he decides to come back and help Luke.

His character changes even more during the next two films as he becomes more committed to something bigger than himself...the rebellion.