Lost - The Final Season (Spoilers)

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
I thought Locke's body was used for that smoke monster. That's why he said "sorry you had to see me like this."

I saw the recap but still don't know half of what's going on.:confused:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I thought Locke's body was used for that smoke monster. That's why he said "sorry you had to see me like this."

I saw the recap but still don't know half of what's going on.:confused:

I guess you could just call new Locke a shapeshifter. He's not ACTUALLY Locke, he's just adopted an appearance to look like him. Then he turns himself into the smoke monster, then back into new Locke.

chickenhead

Reaction score
The smoke monster and shapeshifting has always been the part of the show that I don't like. Everything else usually has a more plausible--if fantastic--explanation. But smoke being able to pick up a person, or take the form of a person who can physically intereact with the world. It's just always seemed like too much of a stretch. I'll go with it, but there's much more of a suspension of disbelief.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The smoke monster and shapeshifting has always been the part of the show that I don't like. Everything else usually has a more plausible--if fantastic--explanation. But smoke being able to pick up a person, or take the form of a person who can physically intereact with the world. It's just always seemed like too much of a stretch. I'll go with it, but there's much more of a suspension of disbelief.

Pretty obvious they're not trying to sell the hard science of the show and leaning on mythology (Egyptian at this point) to tell a morality tale.

jefftheshark

Drive By Poster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm somewhat conflicted.

I really like the acting, writing and the story line is nothing if not original and thought-provoking, but.....................

If we are to believe in the multiverse conceit and all the ramifications and outcomes that are possible in an infinite series of possible outcomes, then where is the dramatic tension? If there are storylines where Sawyer and Juliet are together and living happily forever after, sitting right next to a world where they are both dead and also next to one where the dinosaurs were never killed off and Kate is a highly evolved velociraptor, well then why did we put all this effort into being concerned about them at all?

JTS

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If we are to believe in the multiverse conceit and all the ramifications and outcomes that are possible in an infinite series of possible outcomes, then where is the dramatic tension? If there are storylines where Sawyer and Juliet are together and living happily forever after, sitting right next to a world where they are both dead and also next to one where the dinosaurs were never killed off and Kate is a highly evolved velociraptor, well then why did we put all this effort into being concerned about them at all?

That's the very question the show has been challenging the viewers to watch from the beginning, and every time they lead you one direction they yank you back in another.

It's free will vs. predestination.

Trust me. Whatever you've concluded, you've followed the red herring into a trap.

jefftheshark

Drive By Poster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's the very question the show has been challenging the viewers to watch from the beginning, and every time they lead you one direction they yank you back in another.

It's free will vs. predestination.

Trust me. Whatever you've concluded, you've followed the red herring into a trap.

But it's actually free will and predetermination, it just depends in which universe you currently reside in.

JTS

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But it's actually free will and predetermination, it just depends in which universe you currently reside in.

Isn't that the rational conclusion? Predetermination is a Christian concept, but determinism is a mathematical one and it shares a lot of the same properties. (I did have to look this one up but I do remember it from physics) ...

Determinism is the view that every event, including human cognition, behavior, decision, and action, is causally determined by an unbroken chain of prior occurrences.[1] Determinists believe the universe is fully governed by causal laws resulting in only one possible state at any point in time. With numerous historical debates, many varieties and philosophical positions on the subject of determinism exist.

I think any person who's spent any large amount of time thinking on it eventually considers it an unsolvable puzzle and settles on a balance between the two. They both have to exist. Only one existing creates an even greater paradox and I already have a headache!

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Isn't that the rational conclusion? Predetermination is a Christian concept, but determinism is a mathematical one and it shares a lot of the same properties. (I did have to look this one up but I do remember it from physics) ...

I think any person who's spent any large amount of time thinking on it eventually considers it an unsolvable puzzle and settles on a balance between the two. They both have to exist. Only one existing creates an even greater paradox and I already have a headache!

There's an episode where Hugo and the "I hear dead people" guy are talking about this. It was a very "Pass the bong" kind of moment. Very funny.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Why was Desmond on the plane with Jack? He was never on the plane he was in the hatch.

And why WASN'T the blonde girl on the plane? Her brother was next to Locke but she wasn't there?

Shannon?

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why was Desmond on the plane with Jack? He was never on the plane he was in the hatch.

Because it's an alternate reality. Something has changed in the past, present, and future. Chaos Theory!

If the island never existed, it changed the fate of the people before they ever got on the plane.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Because it's an alternate reality. Something has changed in the past, present, and future. Chaos Theory!

If the island never existed, it changed the fate of the people before they ever got on the plane.

It existed, it just got nuked in 1977.

OP
OP
bankybruce

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

Contains one curse word

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
True but before Desmond ever went on a sailing trip and before Boone and Shannon would have been born (probably).

That's the point. The absence of the island and whatever forces calling these people to the island in their timeline changed things.

But notice that things changed on the plane, too. Desmond was there, then he wasn't after Jack saved Charlie. Charlie said, "You shouldn't have done that. I was supposed to die." Jack went back to his seat and Desmond was gone.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
That's the point. The absence of the island and whatever forces calling these people to the island in their timeline changed things.

But notice that things changed on the plane, too. Desmond was there, then he wasn't after Jack saved Charlie. Charlie said, "You shouldn't have done that. I was supposed to die." Jack went back to his seat and Desmond was gone.

OK Lostradamus, where's Shannon?

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not just that, but Hugo said he's the luckiest guy on Earth instead of being cursed, Sawyer tells Hugo to be careful about his money instead of trying to take advantage of him, Locke claims to have gone on his walkabout, Jack only gets on bottle of alcohol from the flight attendant (not an alcoholic?) and Rose is the one who comforts Jack instead of the other way around.

Of course, Shannon is not on the plane because Boone couldn't get her to come back (another difference).

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Not just that, but Hugo said he's the luckiest guy on Earth instead of being cursed, Sawyer tells Hugo to be careful about his money instead of trying to take advantage of him, Locke claims to have gone on his walkabout, Jack only gets on bottle of alcohol from the flight attendant (not an alcoholic?) and Rose is the one who comforts Jack instead of the other way around.

Of course, Shannon is not on the plane because Boone couldn't get her to come back (another difference).

If the island was destroyed in 1977 did they ever have their childhood encounters with Jacob? If not did that change the destiny for each character?