Lonzo Ball

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are a lot of carry over remarks about Lonzo Ball on the Fultz thread so might as well make a thread for him as well. The things I really like about Ball is his basketball IQ, ability to run a team and his passing ability

Below are some comments from DraftExpress but one really needs to read the whole article at the link below.

Ball averaged 14.6 points, 6.0 rebounds, 7.6 assists, and 1.8 steals per game on the season, gaudy numbers in their own right. When adjusted for pace, his 8.1 assists per 40 minutes ranked second among top-100 prospects in the DraftExpress database, with his 6.4 rebounds per 40 third among point guards. But Ball's impact went far beyond his own personal numbers as he almost single-handedly transformed an offense that ranked outside of the top-50 the previous season into one of, if not the, very best the country had to offer.

When discussing the Lonzo Ball experience, it would be impossible not to start with his elite transition play. Ball his virtually the entire package in this regard, from his ability to force turnovers and grab defensive boards to ignite the break, the breakneck speed he operates at with the ball in his hands, his elite creativity and passing accuracy, and even right down to his knowledge of when to push the ball himself and when to give it up to his teammates. The ball doesn't stick, his decision making is quick, and his creativity and vision are nothing short of elite.

His biggest limiting factor at this stage is that he just doesn't show much ability to consistently get into the paint off the dribble, even at the college level. His first step isn't great, as his athleticism really begins to shine when he has the chance to build up steam in transition, and he doesn't have the strength needed to overcome that.

In fact, according to Synergy, Ball used just 33 possessions in isolation and used nearly 75% of his pick and roll possessions were as a passer, very infrequently using the pick to get into the paint and find his own offense. How limited he will be as a scorer in the half court is a legitimate concern for decision makers looking to build a team around him.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Lonzo-Ball-7229/ ©DraftExpress

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is a link to the strengths of Alonzo Ball.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
What I noticed is Fultz is more of a better half court player like a Chris Paul, and Lorenzo Ball is more like Kevin Johnson who outraces guys down the court. So to me, offensively, neither is better than the other per se, but if you are more half court oriented I think Fultz shines, and if you have a 7 seconds or less offense, you would want Ball.

Can Ball play halfcourt, yes. Can Fultz fast break, yes. I am just comparing their natural skills/strengths.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What I noticed is Fultz is more of a better half court player like a Chris Paul, and Lorenzo Ball is more like Kevin Johnson who outraces guys down the court. So to me, offensively, neither is better than the other per se, but if you are more half court oriented I think Fultz shines, and if you have a 7 seconds or less offense, you would want Ball.

Can Ball play halfcourt, yes. Can Fultz fast break, yes. I am just comparing their natural skills/strengths.

Ball is one of the best passers I have seen to ignite the fast break. When I first saw him I thought of Magic Johnson. Magic was phenomenal in making the quick outlet pass.

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Now if we get Ball we still might have to deal Bledsoe but I think there is a better chance he could coexist with Bled+Booker and the rest. I think he could blend better versus if we got Fultz.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Now if we get Ball we still might have to deal Bledsoe but I think there is a better chance he could coexist with Bled+Booker and the rest. I think he could blend better versus if we got Fultz.
What I like about Fultz is he is more half court oriented, able to create a shot, penetrate and kick out. So for the regualr season I agree Ball will ignite fast breaks, we would be a machine. However, in the playoffs, where teams make the play more half court oriented, I think Fultz would be better.

I think both guys can have good NBA careers. I think with them, you pick your style. I can see where Fultz may have more upside. He has terrific handles. Anytime you have a guy that can get to any spot on the court that is a big plus!

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
And the situation that his (Father's) heart is at Dodger Stadium. We're in the shadow of L.A. in everything we do (which is understandable). But it doesn't mean we have to add still another situation.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
This guy is awesome, but his father is insane. Not worth the risk when you have other options available.

I highly doubt balls dad is going to hurt the suns.

Errntknght

Reaction score
I wouldn't take Ball if there are significant indications he'll force his way to the Lakers. In any case I prefer Jackson because of his defense. As always, I like Bled as a backup PG and not as a starter - his D suffers too much when plays starter minutes. When he's going hard he's disruptive on D. I wouldn't hesitate to start Ulis over him, which should get Booker and the rest of the team move involved in the offense right out of the gate.

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I wouldn't take Ball if there are significant indications he'll force his way to the Lakers. In any case I prefer Jackson because of his defense. As always, I like Bled as a backup PG and not as a starter - his D suffers too much when plays starter minutes. When he's going hard he's disruptive on D. I wouldn't hesitate to start Ulis over him, which should get Booker and the rest of the team move involved in the offense right out of the gate.

I don't see how he can force his way to the Lakers unless the Lakers get top pick. His contract(s) won't let him move around for eight or nine years. That's a lot of time for him to get over "Laker fever"

BTW I prefer Jackson for his defense too.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I think Fultz is more like Bledsoe. In theory, if you have two similar players playing the same position, then the rest of the team does not have to adjust their play as much when one or the other come into the game. I think there is more of a style difference between Bledsoe and Ball.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'd take Fultz first, but I'd have no complaints if we ended up with Ball.

Jackson makes the most sense for this roster but he is also the guy I think has the highest bust potential of the 3. That said... I'd still be excited to get him.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

What? KJ was great in the half court. His speed and quickness broke down defenses, he could take it to the rack, or he had a killer pull up jumper. Kidd is the better fast breaking example.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What? KJ was great in the half court. His speed and quickness broke down defenses, he could take it to the rack, or he had a killer pull up jumper. Kidd is the better fast breaking example.

Yeah, KJ broke many an ankle on dribble moves from the top of the arch. I remember that ridiculous pull-up jumper of his, he'd make a defender retreat because of his speed then he'd stop n pop in an instant from the key.

KJ was like a more athletic Chris Paul. He would have been a first ballot HOFer if his hamstrings hadn't been made a warm cheese.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I think Fultz is more like Bledsoe. In theory, if you have two similar players playing the same position, then the rest of the team does not have to adjust their play as much when one or the other come into the game. I think there is more of a style difference between Bledsoe and Ball.
TBF having two PGs that are completely different means that the opposition has to have two entirely different game plans to prepare for depending who is on the court.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I am thinking of KJ when he first came out of college like Ball. He had to learn the half court game.

Errntknght

Reaction score
TBF having two PGs that are completely different means that the opposition has to have two entirely different game plans to prepare for depending who is on the court.

That's my sentiment, too, but then I prefer coaches to 'platoon' - so the guys are more familier with the others on the floor with them. I hated it when Ainge used to make endless substitutions trying to take advantage of every miniscule mismatch. If that's your coach then interchangeability might be worth it - or, better, dump the coach.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
This guy is awesome, but his father is insane. Not worth the risk when you have other options available.

The father becomes a far less issue in the pros than the college. LaVar Ball can influence a college, but a pro team can easily tell him to shut his pie hole.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose