Linebacker Darling Concludes Visit

Jim O

Reaction score
http://www.azcardinals.com/press/pressdetails.php?sid=1106

Linebacker Darling Concludes Visit 5:35pm

New York Jets linebacker James Darling visited the Cardinals Training Facility on Thursday, March 6. Darling is the second linebacker to visit with the Cardinals front office and coaching staff this week, the first being Bears linebacker Rosevelt Colvin.

Darling has visited with Cleveland and has plans to visit with Detroit next, but hopes to end the free agent process soon.

“To be honest, I hate being a free agent,” shared Darling. “Being a free agent, you don’t belong anywhere. You don’t have a home. I always like to know where I am at and so I’d like the whole thing to be over.”

Darling’s main criteria in signing with a team is finding someplace where there is legitimate open competition.

“A lot of teams say there is open competition but there is really not,” stated Darling. “I am looking for a place for open competition at my position. If you can get to a team that says we have six backers, nine in camp and we have to find three starters. That is what I like to hear.”

Darling also has had first-hand experience battling against the Cardinals during his playing days with Philadelphia and feels like the Cardinals have a lot of talent already in place.

“When I was in Philly, these guys always beat us,” offered Darling. “It seemed like we’d be ahead with two minutes left, and you guys would be walking off the field winners. We always regarded it as a tough game against the type of players…it always seemed like a lot of scrappy players with a lot of heart.”

Darling has played inside and outside linebacker positions and has also been a productive special teams player. His versatility could also be helpful for the Cardinals linebacker corps, a unit that was hit with injuries last year.

“I am the kind of player that is going to run around, be fast, and play you physical,” said Darling of what he had to offer to the Cardinals.

The Cardinals have not yet extended an offer to Darling.

Attachments

• darling.jpg
    darling.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 199

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
..........and he has left without a contract offer I presume.

OP
OP
Jim O

Jim O

Reaction score
Originally posted by jkf296
..........and he has left without a contract offer I presume.

He said that he felt like one was coming soon.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Jim Omohundro
He said that he felt like one was coming soon.

Great! Thanks for all of the info. you really do a great job!

We will not try to kill the messenger.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Jim - Housekeeping - The Colvin clip about the Cardinals runs as a silent, blackened screen. Both Darling links point to the same special teams clip.

What impressed me about both Colvin and Darling was their intelligence and how at-ease they both were in front of a camera.

I realize that what's important is what they can do on the field, but having an infectious personality can't hurt.

Also - One thing that both Jurecki and Graves alluded to was the need to sign a bunch of top-line free agents, but to also add some middle-echelon guys - particularly some veteran experience on special teams. Darling is a good special teams player. All he's looking for is a legitimate chance to compete for a starting position. Sounds like it might be a good fit.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm afraid I don't know anything about Darling. Is he a good player? I love his attitude, but is he potentially better than who we already have at LB?

It doesn't seem to me that LB is a position of real need for us.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave