Like or Don't like this draft and Why?

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
Will Murray win 6 games as a starter his rookie year? Jackson did.Since Murray is supposed to be so much better then 10 wins maybe?

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
This draft was probably my most enjoyable, ever. And at 81, I've followed a lot of them. I'm willing to wait until the pre/regular season to see how the picks turn out, but what I liked best about this Draft was all the attention that Arizona received. And since I was switching between the NFL Network and ESPN, I'm not sure who said it, in their Draft wrap up, but one guy said that Arizona is now must watch TV. He couldn't wait for their first PS game. Don't believe I've ever heard that before.

As for the individual picks, read Krang's post above. He does a great job evaluating the picks.

Delmar M Lewis

All Star
Reaction score
I loved this draft and here is why:

1. Kyler Murray. I think he can be a top 10 QB and a player that defensive coordinators have to fear. He was the most explosive player in the draft and was the biggest upgrade for the team.

2. Byron Murphy. In a vaccuum, I would have gone WR here, but I like this pick. Murphy's play reminds me a bit of Aeneas Williams. What I mean by that is that Aeneas' game was a very cerebral game and Murphy shows a high level understanding of coverages and CB technique. He was easily the best CB in the draft because he should have the smoothest transition. He didnt run well because he tried to rapidly gain weight. He was a top 15 player on the Cardinals board.

3. Isabella was a guy that I discounted at first, but a few weeks ago I watched some tape on him and I was impressed. By the time #62 came up, all of the guys I would have targeted at #33 were gone, so Isabella was the guy. Outside of Hollywood Brown, this kid was the most explosive WR in the draft, but he is much more solidly built and doesnt have the lis franc injury concern. This kid is tailor made for the Air Raid and I think he is going to really productive this year

4. Zach Allen. I mentioned this during the draft, but teams have to consider if a player has a good shot at making the roster when they draft a player. Allen filled a huge need since the DL rotation was very weak before this selection. Allen was a tweener without a position in college, but is a very good fit in Joseph's 3-4 at DE. This kid works his ass off and plays his ass off. I think hes going to be a fan favorite and will be a staple on the defensive line for years.

4. Hakeem Butler. I didnt like the idea of him in round 2 or 3 because of two reasons: 1. He dropped a lot of balls in college 2. Receivers his height struggle to play in the NFL. That said, he is a tremendous value in round four. His physical profile is off the charts. Huge, fast, explosive. He could be a star receiver if his hands improve.

5. Deionte Thompson. Absolute steal at this point. Fell due to medicals. The Cards have lacked a true center fielder type for some time and have a big hole at backup safety. He could be a starter in a few years.

6. Keesean Johnson. Another receiver? Yes the Cardinals desperately needed talent and free agency was vastly overpriced for even mediocre players (Cole Beasley got $9 million). I kept seeing mocks on this board where people were taking one WR and I was shocked because the need was so great. Johnson is a steady receiver who catches the ball well but doesnt have any outstanding physical ability. Solid value at this point in the draft.

7. Lamont Gaillard. Tough, physical IOL. He can play both guard spots and center. Q William's said he was the best OL he went against last year. Started a ton of games and was a team captain. He has a real role that he could fill on this team. A Kugler pick.

8. Joshua Miles. Just like Cunningham last year, the Cardinals go for a big, long OT late in the draft to develop. Miles played at a HBCU, so a much lower level of competition. This is another Kugler pick. Great measurables. Very long arms and massive hands. He has a shot at making the roster or practice squad.

9. Michael Dogbe. Tough, strong and physical. Fills out DL rotation more.

10. Caleb Wilson. Glorified WR at TE. Not a blocker at all, but led the nation in receiving amongst TEs.
How many do you think will actually make the team my guess 4 to 5 but hope all actually do And really disagree with Murray Btw he may be good to great for awhile but long term not very likely

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I think all things considered if you take out the Rosen issue, this draft was very good. Love the Isabella pick, can’t wait to see this all come together. It will take some time and hit a few bumps along the way. However it will be light years ahead of the garbage we all had to watch last year. Training camp attendance will be off the charts this year.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
How many do you think will actually make the team my guess 4 to 5 but hope all actually do And really disagree with Murray Btw he may be good to great for awhile but long term not very likely

Make the team guaranteed:

1. Murray
2. Murphy
3. Isabella
4. Allen

Good chance (80%)
1. Butler
2. Thompson

Even Chance (50%)
1. Johnson
2. Dogbe
3. Gaillard

Doubtful (25%)
1. Miles
2. Wilson

I think probably 8 make the team.

ProdigalSun

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Will Murray win 6 games as a starter his rookie year? Jackson did.Since Murray is supposed to be so much better then 10 wins maybe?

To be fair the Ravens also had a solid D and a very good coach in Harbaugh. If KK is anywhere near the caliber coach that Harbaugh is I think we can be pretty good fairly quickly *fingers crossed*

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
My reasoning

1. Murray...starting QB.

2. Murphy. After PP21, Alford, and Brock, the depth is nonexistant. I guess Amerson qualifies, but he is no lock.

3. Isabella will make team because he was a second rounder and he fits a clear role.

4. Allen makes the team because after the top three DL, there is little depth.

5. Butler is an outside receiver and 4th rounders are still usually given a year or two.

6. Thompson is the only true FS on the roster and safety depth is weak after Baker, Swearinger, and Ford. I think he makes it as the 4th safety.

7. Johnson has to be able to help on ST, which isnt a given. Can he beat out Cooper and Byrd, who both add something on ST?

8. Gaillard has to crack the top 8-9 to make the team. No guarantee, but I can see a scenario where he knocks off Shipley since I think hes a better swing back up and the new coaching staff might want one of their guys.

9. Dogbe is tough, physical and offers some pass rush. Not the biggest guy, but he can maybe fill the 6th DL spot. PS candidate.

10. Miles is a bit dicey. He has to show that he can at least play some this year. Prime PS candidate.

11. Mr irrelevant has little chance of making it. Horrible blocker.

New Mexico

Fan since 1976ish
Reaction score
I personally like what the Cards did in this draft. A LOT of pieces for this offense. We are giving Kingsbury a great chance to bring in his offense. Also, most picks seemed to be value picks. Guys rated higher than where we picked them. I can't wait to see this experimental offense can make it in the NFL. All our easier games are at the start of the season. This gives us a chance to work out the kinks!

The skill players excite me, but we still need help on both lines and games are won and lost in the trenches.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
Make the team guaranteed:

1. Murray
2. Murphy
3. Isabella
4. Allen

Good chance (80%)
1. Butler
2. Thompson

Even Chance (50%)
1. Johnson
2. Dogbe
3. Gaillard

Doubtful (25%)
1. Miles
2. Wilson

I think probably 8 make the team.

interesting.
I think Dogbe makes the team.
Peters,Gunter,Allen,Malveaux,Philon,Dogbe top 6 will Valentine and Tasini battling for last spot.Remember Nkemdiche is out injured.Rumors says Cards signed Miles Brown 6`2 320 DT from Wofford as a UDFA.He was All Southern conference .Don`t know if he could factor as depth of maybe PS type.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
My reasoning

1. Murray...starting QB.

2. Murphy. After PP21, Alford, and Brock, the depth is nonexistant. I guess Amerson qualifies, but he is no lock.

3. Isabella will make team because he was a second rounder and he fits a clear role.

5. Butler is an outside receiver and 4th rounders are still usually given a year or two.

6. Thompson is the only true FS on the roster and safety depth is weak after Baker, Swearinger, and Ford. I think he makes it as the 4th safety.

7. Johnson has to be able to help on ST, which isnt a given. Can he beat out Cooper and Byrd, who both add something on ST?

8. Gaillard has to crack the top 8-9 to make the team. No guarantee, but I can see a scenario where he knocks off Shipley since I think hes a better swing back up and the new coaching staff might want one of their guys.

9. Dogbe is tough, physical and offers some pass rush. Not the biggest guy, but he can maybe fill the 6th DL spot. PS candidate.

reasonable assessment.I think Shipley could well be on thin ice also.

10. Miles is a bit dicey. He has to show that he can at least play some this year. Prime PS candidate.

Delmar M Lewis

All Star
Reaction score
Have said it a bunch and keep saying this draft is the best of Keims career after the first pick which is a boom or bust type which more than likely will be a Bust

OP
OP
Yuma

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Have said it a bunch and keep saying this draft is the best of Keims career after the first pick which is a boom or bust type which more than likely will be a Bust
All I can say is we had a historically bad offense last year. We were so bad, it's hard to imagine Murray and a new offense can be worse since the Cards were literally at rock bottom last year! LOL. Not to say Murray will be geat, but he has a LOT of room compared to last year.

OP
OP
Yuma

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
This draft was probably my most enjoyable, ever. And at 81, I've followed a lot of them. I'm willing to wait until the pre/regular season to see how the picks turn out, but what I liked best about this Draft was all the attention that Arizona received. And since I was switching between the NFL Network and ESPN, I'm not sure who said it, in their Draft wrap up, but one guy said that Arizona is now must watch TV. He couldn't wait for their first PS game. Don't believe I've ever heard that before.

As for the individual picks, read Krang's post above. He does a great job evaluating the picks.
Mel Kiper Junior said we were the winners of the draft! If you like Mel that's high praise from him.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
The whole success of the draft depends on Murray. Very skeptical of him. I think the "NFL is changing" talk is premature. Remember when the read/option and the wildcat were going to change the NFL?

Bottom line is QB's need to be able to beat you from the pocket with their arm. Look at last year's final 4. Brady, Brees, Goff, and Mahomes are all guys that can beat you from the pocket. Considering Murray hasn't taken a snap from under center or read a defense, I'm not expecting much but hoping for the best.

He has shown he can beat people with his arm from the pocket and though limited in the read system in a traditional sense, one can find more than one occasion where he reads the secondary with his ball placement... it's calling protections where this observation is valid and he will have to become more cerebral than simply relying on his athletic ability

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
My reasoning

1. Murray...starting QB.

If Cooper isn’t in his 2017 form, then I’m not sure what he really adds.

Camshaft

Registered
Reaction score
It was a solid draft, but we could have done so much better. The Isabella pick was the sour note of the draft.

Lagerfilled

Professional Tailgater
Reaction score
It was a solid draft, but we could have done so much better. The Isabella pick was the sour note of the draft.

Sorry, but that’s a galactically dumb take! In reality it was when the draft turned in the right direction. Isabella will be a stud ala Brandin Cooks / TY Hilton that can take the top off for Larry, Kirk, & DJ underneath.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Sorry, but that’s a galactically dumb take! In reality it was when the draft turned in the right direction. Isabella will be a stud ala Brandin Cooks / TY Hilton that can take the top off for Larry, Kirk, & DJ underneath.

I'm most excited about Isabella outside of Murray. I think hes going to be pretty good.

Carolinacacti

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Last year I was looking forward to getting away from Bruce's old men risk no Bis offence. Wanted the Cards to run the ball play good defense and keep it close. Well I was wrong. Now I'm really excited and loved this draft. Rather lose 30-27 then win 6-3, it's entertainment after all is said and done.

OP
OP
Yuma

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I went to the preseason game with Cards playing the Chargers, which the Cards won 24 to 17 behind what looked like a powerful run game. Later in the year the Cards lost to the Chargers 45 to 10. So much for preseaon being an indicator of regular season success.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
If Isabella stays healthy he'll be a stud IMO.

Didn't agree with Murray over Bosa/Williams but the rest of the draft was a home run IMO. Getting Hakeem Butler on day three was the highlight for me.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard