Reaction score
Like much of Afghan war, details of Tillman's mission vague

You must be registered for see images
Pat Tillman​

Malcolm Garcia
Kansas City Star
May. 24, 2004 01:45 PM

KABUL, Afghanistan - Pat Tillman, the former Cardinals football player who walked away from a $3.6 million contract to become a U.S. Army Ranger, was last seen by his men crouched on a hill near the Pakistan border. He was slowly moving forward, firing a lightweight machine gun at militants who had attacked part of his patrol.

Tillman, who had risen to sergeant since leaving the Cardinals and joining the Army May 31, 2002, had been leading what Army officials called a ground assault convoy when part of his platoon came under mortar and small arms fire.

Because of the difficult terrain, the soldiers could not maneuver and were pinned down. Tillman ordered the rest of the platoon to counter-attack, and he was leading that charge when he was killed April 22 in the hamlet of Spera, about 30 miles from the southern Afghanistan city of Khost. Tillman was posthumously awarded the Silver Star, given for acts of bravery.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/cardinals/tillman/tillman_tribute.html

One month after his death, the Army has provided no details of how Tillman was killed or what mission his patrol was pursuing when it got into trouble. The above account was given by a U.S. officer who asked that his name not be used because the Army had decided not to comment on Tillman's death.

In that way, Tillman's death is very much like the deaths of other American servicemen in Afghanistan. At least 122 U.S. servicemen have died, including 53 killed in action, since the start of Operation Enduring Freedom in late 2001 to topple the Taliban regime for harboring al-Qaida terrorists.

While U.S. combat in Iraq often takes place in front of television cameras in places that have become almost household names - Fallujah, Najaf and Baghdad - fighting in Afghanistan takes place in small skirmishes far from the public eye. Reporters assigned to Afghanistan rarely accompany the units most likely to engage in combat, and little is said about what took place in any particular skirmish.

More than two years after U.S. troops entered Afghanistan, the U.S. military, citing "security" concerns, refuses to say how many American soldiers participate in combat operations or how many "forward operating bases," from which U.S. patrols are launched, are now in the country.

U.S. servicemen and servicewomen make up the bulk of a 13,500-person international coalition that holds Afghanistan together. Many of those are involved in reconstruction projects intended to woo Afghan civilians to support the government of President Hamid Karzai.

But an ongoing insurgency in the south and southeast stubbornly resists the rule of Karzai's weak central government. Fighting that insurgency is left largely to the Americans.

The most recent death of an American soldier was that of Chief Warrant Officer Bruce E. Price, 37, of Maryland, on May 15 in southern Afghanistan. Price's unit was ambushed by insurgents using rocket-propelled grenades and small arms fire. He was assigned to the Army's 1st Battalion, 3rd Special Forces Group, Fort Bragg, N.C.

Like the Tillman skirmish, the death took place far from Kabul, near a town, Kajaki, few in the United States would have heard of. Two soldiers were injured but returned to duty.

American combat casualties in Afghanistan provide a hard lesson for the United States about its inability to enforce peace in countries deeply divided by ethnic and tribal factionalism.

"The Taliban is acting like a guerrilla organization these days," said Paul Barker of CARE, an aid organization that promotes agricultural projects. "The sort of fighting we're seeing could be endless."

Despite the difficulties, US officials say their mission remains clear: to increase security by eliminating armed resistance where they find it and accelerate reconstruction projects.

In the past year, the United States has focused its efforts against suspected militants mostly in the south near the cities of Khost, Gardez, Ghazni and Orgun-e on the Pakistan border. Zabul province just north of Kandahar and Helmand province in central Afghanistan are also considered Taliban strongholds.

As many as 200 patrols are sent out a day throughout the country in search of militants and in hopes of finding al-Qaida leader Osama bin Laden. With few major metropolitan areas in these regions, the Americans primarily search primitive villages of mud huts for suspected terrorists.

Achingly slow, routine patrols can be shattered by attacks similar to the one that killed Tillman.

"This is a classic counter-insurgency campaign," said Lt. Col. Matthew Beevers, a spokesman for the coalition. "These are not the kinds of guys to prolong a fight. They use hit and run tactics or mines or (rocket-propelled grenades) where they don't need to be around.

"Ours is an evolving strategy based on how al-Qaida and the Taliban are presenting themselves to us," he said. "We're seeing less movement along the border. We haven't had a major confrontation in a year, but we remain poised and in position to take on whatever comes across from Pakistan."

The United States and its coalition partners also are moving ahead with development projects, establishing 12 Provisional Reconstruction Teams known as PRTs in the towns of Bamiyan, Kunduz, Gardez, Mazar-e-Sharif and Qalat.

Each of these has about 65 to 80 soldiers and technicians to administer aid projects in areas where security is poor and the locals are skeptical about the central government. Since January, the coalition has spent about $5 million on reconstruction projects, Beevers said.

But PRTs have no mandate to provide security or help resolve local conflicts, leaving warlords free to pursue their own agendas.

In some instances, PRTs have provided assistance used in unintended ways.

In Qalat recently, Americans soldiers discovered that the farmers for whom the PRT had installed three wells not only were growing legitimate crops, but also poppies for heroin and opium.

PRTs don't have the authority to confront the burgeoning drug trade, though they can report it to the government.

U.S. and coalition troops are also involved in training and deploying the fledgling Afghan National Army. At the same time, they are trying to reign in the Afghan Military Force, a loosely knit group of fighters that united to fight against the Taliban but who remain loyal to regional warlords.

About 10,000 recruits for the ANA have been trained, well short of the 70,000 the United States hoped to have by this time. Desertion and ethnic tensions remain a problem, and local militias outnumber ANA members 100 to 1. AMF soldiers trained for ANA duty say they remain loyal to their local commander, not the national government.

"If our commander tells us to the leave the PRT, we'll leave," said Shawali, 37, who like many Afghans does not have a last name. He is one of 30 AMF soldiers at the Qalat Forward Operating Base.

Still, U.S. officers see progress. "Six, seven months ago, we stayed in large bases and only went out on raids," Beevers said. "Now we get out, meet with village elders to create relationships so they know we'll stay here and defeat the insurgency. That's our mission no matter, how difficult. To crush the insurgency and rebuild the country."

But every ambush of a patrol is a reminder that the enemy has yet to concede defeat, 2 1Ž2 years after the ouster of the Taliban regime, and there is no clear end in sight.

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
Interesting - since the SI article quoted an Afghan military leader as saying his truck hit a mine and that's how he was killed.

DevonCardsFan

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
DeAnna said:
Interesting - since the SI article quoted an Afghan military leader as saying his truck hit a mine and that's how he was killed.

Yes but at Pats memorial service, one of the speakers described how Pat died the same way as this article, going up a hill fighting with the people who ambushed them.

Lex

troublemaker
Reaction score
Based on all the Tillman information available to me:

Pat Tillman got cut from his high school baseball team as a kid, by the baseball coach that turned out to be the father of his best friend, and wife.

Pat Tillman then focused on football, his goal was to prove he could be a great football player. (his baseball coach father-in-law admitted at the service in San Jose, that he never knew he was the reason Pat decided to play football.) Pat's high school football team was the best ever.

Pat Tillman talked his way onto the ASU football team. His mission was to win a national championship for ASU. He made a list of positions that needed to be improved on the team, and gave it to his position coach. The list was filled, and ASU came within seconds of winning the National Championship in the Rose Bowl.

Pat Tillman was drafted in the 7th round of the NFL draft by the Arizona Cardinals in 1998. That year, the Cardinals reached the playoffs for the first time in like, ever. His mission with the Cardinals was never finished ...

Pat Tillman felt he "owed" something to his country after the events of 9/11. He put his football mission on hold, so he could go get Osama. Literally.

If he talked to a recruiter about joining the armed forces, and said he wanted to personally get Osama, he would be told that special forces would be the best chance to do just that. So Pat Tillman joined the Rangers. He was not only a Ranger, he was flag bearer for his group, the leader.

At Pat's service in San Jose, a Navy Seal told stories about his compadre Pat. He said after the Air Force had "done what they do," bomb the heck out of everything, his Seals, and Tilly's Rangers were the first American Soldiers in Iraq. (they were after Sadaam.) Their first night in Iraq, they got into a heavy fire fight, and the first casualty was Pat's #1 machine gunner, after he was killed in action, Pat Tillman became the #1 machine gunner for his group.

From that point on, Tilly was the first man to go into a situation, from the Army Rangers, the first unit to go in. If they found Osama, Tilly would be the first to see him. Tilly was hunting Osama the day he was killed.

There was a report of a cache of Taliban weapons in the hills where Osama was believed to be hiding. Tilly's group went out to investigate. It was an ambush. The terrain was similar to Arizona, deserts, with high pine forests. Tillmans vehicle was leading the group, and had cleared the ambush, when another vehicle was hit by enemy fire, and pinned down. Tilly ordered his men to stop, and take the fight uphill ...to the enemy. Pat Tillman was the #1 machine gunner, he was leading the fight uphill with his machine gun blasting. There were reports that there were 15 Taliban fighters involved, and 9 were killed. Pat lost his life on that hill, but I like to think he took 9 men with him. According to the Navy Seal, Pat Tillman's actions DIRECTLY saved the lives of the men in his group that were pinned down.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lex said:
Based on all the Tillman information available to me:

Pat Tillman got cut from his high school baseball team as a kid, by the baseball coach that turned out to be the father of his best friend, and wife.

Pat Tillman then focused on football, his goal was to prove he could be a great football player. (his baseball coach father-in-law admitted at the service in San Jose, that he never knew he was the reason Pat decided to play football.) Pat's high school football team was the best ever.

At leland? I'm fairly certain Leland was really good when Pat was there, I know they've been good since he graduated, when his brother Kevin was there for example I know they advanced really far in the CCS. I'm sure it's accurate to say the teams Pat was on were as good as any in Leland's history but I'm not sure they went farther than any other Leland team. As is often the case, I think Leland changed the level they were competing at based on size to get away from having to play the Catholic League schools who actively recruit and thus have an unfair advantage.

I have a vague memory of Pat or Kevin(forget which) openly complaining about that very thing while in HS saying in effect while I want to play the best it's not fair to have public schools competing for CCS(central coast section) titles against schools who tried to recruit some of us.

Pat was a pretty big name in San Jose in HS, he was a well known athlete, I think he even was voted player of the year in the CCS as a senior but don't quote me on that. My understanding was Kevin was considered to be the better natural athlete as is often the case with the younger brother, he was in AAA baseball when he joined the military I think.

Based on everything I've read your account of how Pat died appears to be as close to the truth as we're going to know for sometime since it's all still classified. I have 2 friends who attended the funeral. It's also not unusual to see a "Pat Tillman RIP" sign with a US flag hanging off a freeway overpass these days in the area I live (Cupertino/San Jose border).

My ex girlfriend's 13 year old son told me they did a special Pat Tillman memorial day at his middle school a few days after it was announced Pat had been killed. he won't soon be forgotten in San Jose that's for sure.

Hordispack

Veteran
Reaction score
DevonCardsFan said:
Yes but at Pats memorial service, one of the speakers described how Pat died the same way as this article, going up a hill fighting with the people who ambushed them.
But then Pat Sr followed up by saying..."I don't know how my son died". Which I thought was a strange statement at the time since the military speaker had just told how Pat died :confused:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alaskabustergreen