Let's talk FA: SG

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
We have VC, Lopez, and Brooks as trade assets.
I don't think that VC can be traded anymore. The Suns have until the start of the free agent period to buy him out, which will happen after the lockout is lifted, but while there is a lockout I don't think players can be traded. So it seems to me that trading VC is no longer an option. Also, the Suns were not going to trade him anyway. They can save $14M if they simply buy him out. That's a big figure for the Suns owners to turn down.

Aaron Brook is not really a trade asset either. He cannot be traded directly, he can only be a part of a sign-and-trade. For that to work a team over the cap would have to want him and he'd have to want to play there. But in such a case we probably wouldn't get more than a second-round pick in return (like we sent to Chicago for Warrick and Atlanta for Childress). This was discussed in another thread.

Lopez is the only viable trade piece the Suns could afford to part with. Dudley could also be dealt, but the team would probably be wise to hang onto him unless a really great trade opportunity materializes, which isn't likely. Pietrus' expiring contract may also be easier to move, but none of our trade assets are likely to bring in a starter-caliber SG.

So if we are going to add a SG, it will most likely be a FA for the mid-level exception, if it still exists. Due to salary cap the Suns options are already limited, and they are likely to be even more limited under the new CBA.

Of the free agents available, I'd probably give Marcus Thornton a look, but he may get bigger offers and is restricted. I don't care much for Afflalo. The Suns are going to need a scoring guard, and Afflalo is not known for his offense. I just don't think the Suns will be able to add anyone better than what they already have at SG this off-season. I'd much rather give Childress more minutes than to pick up another player of same caliber. Addressing the backup PG position will prove to be a more urgent matter, imo.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the Suns might want to look at the FA mini camp group to add a SG and fill other positions on a budget. IMO, Dionte Christmas would be a good addition at SG. I think he can fill this role.

carey

VVVV Saints Fan VVVV
Reaction score
Yes. Christmas or Lighty from the FA minicamp are possibilities. We won't be adding payroll that jeopardizes 2012 FA chances (as minuscule as they are).

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I don't think that VC can be traded anymore. The Suns have until the start of the free agent period to buy him out, which will happen after the lockout is lifted, but while there is a lockout I don't think players can be traded.

Carter's contract isn't a team option that needs to be picked up or declined(period to do so has already passed). Carter has an unguaranteed contract and will only be owed the guaranteed portion of his contract whenever a team decides to cut him.

Of course Carter won't be traded for other reasons.

carey

VVVV Saints Fan VVVV
Reaction score
Carter's contract isn't a team option that needs to be picked up or declined(period to do so has already passed). Carter has an unguaranteed contract and will only be owed the guaranteed portion of his contract whenever a team decides to cut him.

Of course Carter won't be traded for other reasons.

Yes, but the buyout option was supposed to be exercised by June 30th. They negotiated an extension till the start of the 2011 FA period. That means they have to buy him out before trades can be made and FAs can be signed now. Therefore a trade is now not possible.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Yes, but the buyout option was supposed to be exercised by June 30th. They negotiated an extension till the start of the 2011 FA period. That means they have to buy him out before trades can be made and FAs can be signed now. Therefore a trade is now not possible.

Is there any article referencing this? Carter's contact is unguaranteed, so there is no deadline in place for a team that chooses to cut him. Just like last year Dampier and his fully unguaranteed contract was traded in the heart of FA and was being shopped until just before the season.

Moot point really since there are other reasons as to why he won't be traded.

carey

VVVV Saints Fan VVVV
Reaction score
Which part? Coro reported about the deadline being moved from June 30th to the start of 2011 Free Agency that will only start when a new CBA is reached.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is there any article referencing this? Carter's contact is unguaranteed, so there is no deadline in place for a team that chooses to cut him. Just like last year Dampier and his fully unguaranteed contract was traded in the heart of FA and was being shopped until just before the season.

Moot point really since there are other reasons as to why he won't be traded.

http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/06/23/2281057/suns-carter-modify-contract-deadline.html

First thing you see when you google Vince Carter and go to news. It was all over the radio about two weeks ago.

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
When the New CBA goes into effect they will set a day for FA to start it will not start right away. They give teams time to bring the team together and evaluate draft picks for a week or two. I can still see the team moving VC for a team that wants to clear more than 5 Million in cap space.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When the New CBA goes into effect they will set a day for FA to start it will not start right away. They give teams time to bring the team together and evaluate draft picks for a week or two. I can still see the team moving VC for a team that wants to clear more than 5 Million in cap space.

I hope you're right about the way the new CBA is implemented and the Suns seek to trade VC if they get the opportunity. This would be the best case scenario. However, I find it hard to believe the Suns will choose anything but a buyout.

carey

VVVV Saints Fan VVVV
Reaction score

I don't think it's going to work this way at all.

I think they will set a date for FA and teams will be able to evaluate, and possibly make amnesty cuts. I don't think trades will be able to be made until FA starts.

We'll have to see. This is just my opinion.

Errntknght

Reaction score
If Afflalo is a good defender I'd be very happy to get him because he has the highest offensive efficiency rating of any SG (or SF) in the league. (Duds is 6th among SFs, Hill 13th, Childress 17th, and Pietrus is a bottom feeder - 5th worst among SGs.)

This particular offensive efficiency rating is an invention of mine and it seems to be something coaches like - that is to say, it correlates very well with the amount of playing time players receive. Also Steve Nash and Chris Paul have the highest ratings of any players in the league. (Brooks and Dragic are well below average among PGs).

Its kind of like assist/turnover ratio. If anyone is interested the formula is:
(Points/2 + Assists) / (Turnovers + 2/3 X FGmissed).
The 2/3 factor is to allow for the fact that the ball is not always lost when a shot is missed (25% of the time) and some shots must be taken to avoid a shot clock violation. I purposefully left out individual offensive rebounds but I'm thinking of adding it in and seeing if I like the results better. The values typically range from 1 up to almost 3.

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We've heard that the Kings have been and continue to be interested in Brooks, I'd look into a trade for Marcus Thornton. Perhaps Brooks and Thorton can be signed for simular $$$ and then traded for each other.

WuRaider

Registered
Reaction score
Jrich was the perfect 2 for this team and Amare was the perfect 4

:(

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Afflalo will end up being an overpaid roleplayer. He also does not fit the Suns bill of getting a shooting guard that can create a shot and can make a gamewinner.

OP
OP
Divide Et Impera

Divide Et Impera

Reaction score
The Suns' "bill" hasn't gotten them anything in 40+ years. That "bill" needs a-changin'. Your credibility on player evals is very suspect to top it all off....

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns' "bill" hasn't gotten them anything in 40+ years. That "bill" needs a-changin'. Your credibility on player evals is very suspect to top it all off....

Sure it has. The Suns have been a very successful franchise despite not having won it all. Also, the Suns haven't always been solely about offense no matter how they get painted on this forum. They didn't trade for Don Buse to improve their offense and they didn't trade for DJ to improve their offense. They didn't bring in Maurice Lucas because he was soft.

Even players such as Truck Robinson were targeted for rebounding and other defensive strengths. They've brought in defensive players many times throughout their history. Yes, they've been offensive oriented most of the time but it's been the failure in other areas as much as the imbalance that has cost them a championship or two.

The NBA is first and foremost an entertainment package. The Suns have been enormously entertaining for most of their history. Yes, it would be nice to have a championship banner on display but it's just not accurate to say their "bill hasn't gotten them anything in 40 + years". As for the constant complaint about the Suns not winning it all (general comment, not aimed at anyone), I doubt the mood on this forum would be any different if we'd won it all back in the 70's when we had a couple of decent chances.

But, to your point that we need to change our direction, I agree. The pendulum swung too far towards offense during Mike D's tenure and although that era has ended, it's yet to center itself. Unfortunately, even if we were to focus primarily on defense, we have so little to work with at this point that it probably doesn't matter what we do.

Steve

Trifecta

Veteran
Reaction score
It's doubtful we will get a SG better than Duds unless we pull of a miracle trade of some sort. IMO we'd be better off starting Duds at SG with Pietrus - who is capable of being a servicable SG and will be playing for his next contract - backing him up, rather than bringing in yet another $5m/year backup-quality wing. And we'd still have more than enough SFs to cover that position (and then some).

Does anyone know if we even tendered Brooks a qualifying offer?

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It's doubtful we will get a SG better than Duds unless we pull of a miracle trade of some sort. IMO we'd be better off starting Duds at SG with Pietrus - who is capable of being a servicable SG and will be playing for his next contract - backing him up, rather than bringing in yet another $5m/year backup-quality wing.
Agreed, except that I'd put Childress ahead of Pietrus in the rotation. Pietrus takes too many bad shots and doesn't play very smart overall. I hope the Suns can trade him.

Trifecta

Veteran
Reaction score
Agreed, except that I'd put Childress ahead of Pietrus in the rotation. Pietrus takes too many bad shots and doesn't play very smart overall. I hope the Suns can trade him.

My thinking was Chilly would be the backup SF behind Hill, who is bound to play less minutes as he approaches age 39. But I guess Warrick can take some of those minutes if Chilly plays more SG. But yeah if we can move Pietrus I won't be complaining.

Trifecta

Veteran
Reaction score
Whatever they do they need to STOP filling roster spots based on how they fit in with Nashball.

Agreed. I was however just musing about how the pieces we have (ie are stuck with) might best fit. This will likely be the approach the Suns will take given the current mandate, which as we know, is to ride Nash until his legs are worn down to stumps.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whatever they do they need to STOP filling roster spots based on how they fit in with Nashball.

They need to avoid making any long term decisions based on how they fit in with Nash but unfortunately, until this organization moves away from Steve, they need to put people around him that can play with him. If the team is really serious about improving on defense hopefully they will use that side of the ball as the deciding point for anyone new they bring in. We certainly don't need to continue adding players that only play offense.

Steve

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard