Let's talk about GMOs

HeavyB3

Unregistered User
Reaction score
A lot of folks think High Fructose Corn Syrup and many other ingredients are not "safe" and therefore avoid those product. That harms business. So do you have a problem with ingredient listings too?

People should have a right to know what they are consuming. Screw these companies! They should adapt to consumer demand, not the other way around.

Fair point as well. I really just wanted to play devils advocate haha

OP
OP
Jersey Girl

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
People should have a right to know what they are consuming.

Really, this is what it all comes down to. Some people don't care about high fructose corn syrup and GMOs and chicken stock in vegetable soup. Others do. Put it out there and let the consumer decide.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We have been genetically modifying crops since Gregor Mendel started cross breeding crops.

Things like the Boysenberry wouldn't exist without human intervention.

This is the same as anti vaxxers to me.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Blackberries are the best. :)

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
Personally, I trust genetically-modified organisms more than I trust non-GMO's that are treated some other way before they make it to my dinner table.

Would I rather have a potato genetically-modified to resist blight or one that came from a plant sprayed with fungicide?

Would I rather eat a chicken modified to be larger or would I like a regular chicken pumped full of saline (to get the weight up for sale)?

Would I rather drink milk from a GMO cow or just have the hormones added to the milk after the fact?

Messing with stuff at the genetic level has been going on as long as we have been domesticating crops and animals. We favor certain traits and cull others. This is just the next step in that phase. The real harm, I feel, is with all the additives that come during the food production that have nothing to do with genetics.

Last edited:

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
GMO foods are tested way beyond any other food before it can get to market. If anyone can show a peer-reviewed paper that shows a definitive link to a GMO food and a disease I would like to see it.

There have been GMOs that were POTENTIALLY harmful to humans, but they did not pass the tests and never made it to market.

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The issue for me is GMO solely for pesticide resistance, which is the greatest use of GMO crops right now. That way Crisper can get the best of both worlds! A genetically modified vegetable sprayed to the nines with pesticide. All for profit, not for actually growing something, you know, nutritious and flavorful...

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score
The real harm, I feel, is with all the additives that come during the food production that have nothing to do with genetics.

GMO's don't appear to be cutting down on additives when you look at the ingredients list of most food products offered at the grocery.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
GMO foods are tested way beyond any other food before it can get to market. If anyone can show a peer-reviewed paper that shows a definitive link to a GMO food and a disease I would like to see it.

There have been GMOs that were POTENTIALLY harmful to humans, but they did not pass the tests and never made it to market.

But several studies has shown that cetains GMO's have cuased infertility in animial 2 or 3 generations later. That is scary and since it will take humans 50-75 years to see if it has the same impact, I stick to my organic foods just in case. I want my grandkids and great grandkids to have children.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
But several studies has shown that cetains GMO's have cuased infertility in animial 2 or 3 generations later. That is scary and since it will take humans 50-75 years to see if it has the same impact, I stick to my organic foods just in case. I want my grandkids and great grandkids to have children.

I don't know if that is true correlation. Eating and genetic modification probably don't have the same outcome.

You can breed a horse and donkey and get a mule (which is sterile). Eating mule meat won't make YOU sterile. You may have other issues, but sterility won't be one.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know if that is true correlation. Eating and genetic modification probably don't have the same outcome.

You can breed a horse and donkey and get a mule (which is sterile). Eating mule meat won't make YOU sterile. You may have other issues, but sterility won't be one.

Animals were fed the GMO foods in these studies.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jeffrey-smith/genetically-modified-soy_b_544575.html

"This study was just routine," said Russian biologist Alexey V. Surov, in what could end up as the understatement of this century. Surov and his colleagues set out to discover if Monsanto's genetically modified (GM) soy, grown on 91% of US soybean fields, leads to problems in growth or reproduction. What he discovered may uproot a multi-billion dollar industry.

After feeding hamsters for two years over three generations, those on the GM diet, and especially the group on the maximum GM soy diet, showed devastating results. By the third generation, most GM soy-fed hamsters lost the ability to have babies. They also suffered slower growth, and a high mortality rate among the pups.

And if this isn't shocking enough, some in the third generation even had hair growing inside their mouths--a phenomenon rarely seen, but apparently more prevalent among hamsters eating GM soy.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
Animals were fed the GMO foods in these studies.

Interesting. What is the "maximum" GM diet? I wonder if it is like the rats that were fed truckloads of saccharine until they developed cancer. Or was it a reasonable amount of food that could plausibly be replicated in normal human consumption?

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
New Study:

GMO's safe for human and animal consumption.

http://www.azcentral.com/story/tech...ce-report-genetically-modified-food/84458872/

SAN FRANCISCO — Genetically engineered crops are safe for humans and animals to eat and have not caused increases in cancer, obesity, gastrointestinal illnesses, kidney disease, autism or allergies, an exhaustive report from the National Academies of Science released Tuesday found.

If this study does not fit your already-established worldview, I welcome your reasons for rejecting it without reading it first.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't reject it... But I would still prefer to eat organic.

You might be interested to know that "Organic" does not automatically equal "Non-GMO". It has to be "USDA Certified Organic" or "100% Organic" to be certain it has no GMO ingredients, or is actually a GMO like almost all Papaya sold in the USA is.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
You might be interested to know that "Organic" does not automatically equal "Non-GMO". It has to be "USDA Certified Organic" or "100% Organic" to be certain it has no GMO ingredients, or is actually a GMO like almost all Papaya sold in the USA is.

Good to know. Thx! :thumbup:

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson