Let's Remember Some Wins

Dayman

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
One of my most memorable wins was the 12/20/98 victory against the Saints to keep our playoff hopes alive. Jake led a 70 yard drive in under a minute to set up the game winning FG by Jacke, including a 20 yard scramble to get into FG range with 30 seconds left. After the game, the stairwells were SUPER loud with "Let's Go Cardinals" chants that felt so surreal at the time.

We had a whole section to ourselves that game. Smoked a joint on the bleachers and nobody was close enough to even notice.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Jake throws 2 4th QTR TDs to lead us to victory and out of the #1 draft spot if i remember correctly, at least out of the #2

12/21/97 AZ 29-ATL 26

And we lost out on Peyton Manning with that win. Unlike his wimpy brother, Peyton would play for whoever drafted him. We definitely missed out on at least 1 SB because of this meaningless win.

wa52lz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
And we lost out on Peyton Manning with that win. Unlike his wimpy brother, Peyton would play for whoever drafted him. We definitely missed out on at least 1 SB because of this meaningless win.
But do we draft Manning having just drafted Jake in 97?? I think we trade the pick like we did with the #2 to SD

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Phoenix Cardinals 24, San Francisco 49ers 23

Eight-year-old K9 was at this game and my dad and I left in the third quarter when the game was 23-7 in favor of Steve Young's team. Cards scored 24 unanswered points to win the game in the 4th.

I've mentioned this before.. I hit bottom during that game. Haven't had a drink since. Nov 1988.

Playoff win over Falcons was pretty sweet too.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
But do we draft Manning having just drafted Jake in 97?? I think we trade the pick like we did with the #2 to SD
Keeping Jake at the expense of not drafting PM, would be the equivalence of keeping Rosen instead of drafting Murray. And Jake was a 2nd round pick. Unless you’re downright stupid, you definitely draft Peyton!

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
Arizona Cardinals 24, Seattle Seahawks 13 (2002)

Seattle is opening up a nice new stadium and the NFC schedules a 7-9 team from the previous season to take them on. Thomas Jones rushes for 179 yards and a TD.

Stupid Thomas Jones, stupid Seahawks, stupid Jerramy Stevens

I flew out to Seattle from Minneapolis for that one

The next season I was here in AZ for the return fixture, that one almost made up for it

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just off the top of my head (and in no particular order):

1. Week 16, 2015 - 37-7 destruction of GB the game after HB tore up his knee and was pretty much the high point of the 2015 season when we went to the NFC Title Game. Every one was bummed about HB, I coined the STILL SAVAGE banner that the team then ran with also and we just THRASHED the Packers. After that game everyone thought we had a great shot to go to the Super Bowl.

2. Beating the Seahawks on SNF 2015… the Stanton sideline dance game.

3. The Thursday night game against playoff bound Minnesota when we won on the final play sacking Beidgewater out of FG range to end the game.

4. The 47-7 pasting of the Niners. Niners were still considered NFL royalty as a playoff team and we just annihilated them to announce we’re for real in 2015.

5. 2013… going into Seattle in Week 16 with our playoff hopes on the line and just made Wilson’s life a living hell. No one else beat Seattle in their house that year or the year previous. Won the game for our 10th win of the season

6. 2014 - Rams home game where Palmer got hurt but Stanton stepped up and delivered a perfect bomb to Smoke late in the fourth to pull the game out. That was the little team that could.

7. New Orleans game 1998… second to last game of the season, had to win to keep playoff hopes alive. Won on a last second field goal at the gun. Won the following week against SD for a last second field and first trip ever to the playoffs.

8. Eagles game the previous week, 1998. Again, only three games left and had to win to keep hopes alive. Won in OT on a Jacke FG.

9. Hail Murray 2020.

10. Arians walk off W in Seattle, somehow beating the Hawks with I don’t even remember who the hell was QB at that point.

11. SNF against Seattle where we finally beat them at home in 2020. Crazy stuff in that game and an OT walk off FG after a Simmons INT.

12. Boomer Esaison going NUTS on the Redskins and throwing for like 530 yards, 4 TDs in a ridiculous 21 point comeback W against the Redskins.

13. Dallas 1996, 25-22 OT. second game of season, SNF at home after blowing a 21-3 fourth quarter lead in the opener against the Bengals in the season opener. We had lost to the Cowboys I think 18 games IN A ROW. Went down 22-7, Kent Graham somehow led us back to tie the game and then Butler DOINKED a FG off the upright AND IN… from the 2 yard line! We rushed the field… tore down the goalposts… in week 2. We’d proceed to lose our next six games, making the night even more memorably hilarious… you’d have thought we won the super bowl that night.

14. 2008 OT W against Dallas at home when we blocked the punt and returned for a TD to win it and announce ourselves as a possible playoff team going to 4-2.

15. MNF - can’t remember if it was 2008 or 2009, but game came down to a 4 play goal line stand against the Niners that we stuffed on the final down and play of the game.

As for last season? Hmmm… that first Rams game was pretty memorable. That probably belongs in the top 25 ever because jt really looked like we had arrived. Browns game maybe because it was such a thorough domination without our HC and undermanned and got us to 7-0. We were all feeling pretty damn good at that point.

Otherwise, it wasn’t like there were a bunch of close, incredible finishes. What were the other two games?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
NEVER FORGET.

My buddy and I were going to buy scalped tickets but Vikes fans had driven up the price. We ended up drinking at The Library on Mill (RIP) with a couple of women who said they were nurses. As the afternoon wore on they confessed they were strippers.
My buddy owned the library. What a great concept that was.

Cheese and I lamented the poole catch immediately.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Actually, @BritCard referenced the "top 25 Cardinal wins all time". How you define a "top win" is probably different from how you define a "most memorable win". Some of the ones BritCard mentioned were dominant wins over opponents who were expected to be, and in some cases were, very good teams.

The games you listed are memorable because they were very close comeback wins, either in the playoffs or over mediocre teams to make the playoffs or knock the opponent out of a playoff spot. All had higher stakes than the ones @BritCard listed, but none was a dominant victory. Apples - Oranges.

...dave

Thanks Dave.

I was pretty clear in my previous posts that I was talking about dominant, entertaining performances. Great wins to me means beating good teams by a dominant margin.

Can anyone recall us beating the AFC champs on the road by 3 scores in the history of the franchise? Or beating the Superbowl winner in their own Stadium by 3 scores? I'd guess not.

Important wins is a very different thing.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Arizona Cardinals 16, Washington 15

The Sunday before the stadium bond vote Aeneas Williams returns a fumble 103 yards and the Cards hang on against a division rival.

Someone named Cary Blanchard was our kicker. I think I was at this game.
Ah, the days of watching at Damon's Ribs on the tiny table TVs!

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Thanks Dave.

I was pretty clear in my previous posts that I was talking about dominant, entertaining performances. Great wins to me means beating good teams by a dominant margin.

Can anyone recall us beating the AFC champs on the road by 3 scores in the history of the franchise? Or beating the Superbowl winner in their own Stadium by 3 scores? I'd guess not.

Important wins is a very different thing.
I think you confuse the issue when you use the word “entertaining” because then you’re introducing the subjective element into the equation and you can’t tell people which games were or were not entertaining to them. I think your description above shows why others are interpreting this differently than you are . . . you interpret it differently yourself in different posts without even likely meaning to do so.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Just off the top of my head (and in no particular order):

1. Week 16, 2015 - 37-7 destruction of GB the game after HB tore up his knee and was pretty much the high point of the 2015 season when we went to the NFC Title Game. Every one was bummed about HB, I coined the STILL SAVAGE banner that the team then ran with also and we just THRASHED the Packers. After that game everyone thought we had a great shot to go to the Super Bowl.

2. Beating the Seahawks on SNF 2015… the Stanton sideline dance game.

3. The Thursday night game against playoff bound Minnesota when we won on the final play sacking Beidgewater out of FG range to end the game.

4. The 47-7 pasting of the Niners. Niners were still considered NFL royalty as a playoff team and we just annihilated them to announce we’re for real in 2015.

5. 2013… going into Seattle in Week 16 with our playoff hopes on the line and just made Wilson’s life a living hell. No one else beat Seattle in their house that year or the year previous. Won the game for our 10th win of the season

6. 2014 - Rams home game where Palmer got hurt but Stanton stepped up and delivered a perfect bomb to Smoke late in the fourth to pull the game out. That was the little team that could.

7. New Orleans game 1998… second to last game of the season, had to win to keep playoff hopes alive. Won on a last second field goal at the gun. Won the following week against SD for a last second field and first trip ever to the playoffs.

8. Eagles game the previous week, 1998. Again, only three games left and had to win to keep hopes alive. Won in OT on a Jacke FG.

9. Hail Murray 2020.

10. Arians walk off W in Seattle, somehow beating the Hawks with I don’t even remember who the hell was QB at that point.

11. SNF against Seattle where we finally beat them at home in 2020. Crazy stuff in that game and an OT walk off FG after a Simmons INT.

12. Boomer Esaison going NUTS on the Redskins and throwing for like 530 yards, 4 TDs in a ridiculous 21 point comeback W against the Redskins.

13. Dallas 1996, 25-22 OT. second game of season, SNF at home after blowing a 21-3 fourth quarter lead in the opener against the Bengals in the season opener. We had lost to the Cowboys I think 18 games IN A ROW. Went down 22-7, Kent Graham somehow led us back to tie the game and then Butler DOINKED a FG off the upright AND IN… from the 2 yard line! We rushed the field… tore down the goalposts… in week 2. We’d proceed to lose our next six games, making the night even more memorably hilarious… you’d have thought we won the super bowl that night.

14. 2008 OT W against Dallas at home when we blocked the punt and returned for a TD to win it and announce ourselves as a possible playoff team going to 4-2.

15. MNF - can’t remember if it was 2008 or 2009, but game came down to a 4 play goal line stand against the Niners that we stuffed on the final down and play of the game.

As for last season? Hmmm… that first Rams game was pretty memorable. That probably belongs in the top 25 ever because jt really looked like we had arrived. Browns game maybe because it was such a thorough domination without our HC and undermanned and got us to 7-0. We were all feeling pretty damn good at that point.

Otherwise, it wasn’t like there were a bunch of close, incredible finishes. What were the other two games?
Damn. If that's just off the top of your head, you'd have a list of 100 games if you did some thorough research ;)

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The youngsters on this board weren't around to watch the BEST Cardinal win ever. It was a regular season win, so it's not the most meaningful game ever, but it was most definitely the MOST enjoyable win ever!

Monday Night Football 1970. Back when the whole world watched every second of every Monday Night Football Game

Cardinals 38 Dallas Cowboys 0

November game was in Dallas & the crowd was raucous at game time. All the announcers, including former Cowboy QB Dandy Don Meredith just sat around waiting for the Cowboys to take control of the game. It ended with Dandy Don singing "Turn out the Lights...the Party's Over". Even in Syracuse, NY, there were many Cowboy fans in my school. I memorized the words & sang them standing on the lunch table to all the moron Cowboys fans. I earned a week of after school detention for that & it was worth every minute. FWI, this game was even more enjoyable because the Cowboys were in the SB that year.

You've mentioned this game before PA. I think I will agree with you even though I was a toddler at the time, simply because of the fervor by which you describe the game. LOVE the story about rubbing in at school and getting detention! LMAO!!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard