Let's give it up for the defense

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Firstly. **** this offense.

Now that's out of the way let's show the defense some love.

All the cornerbacks played well. Zaven had his best game yet. The run defense was mostly stout. We had 5 sacks including 2 by Zaven and 1 each from the rookies. Sanders and Thomas both looked promising. No Seahawks receiver had more than 45 yards. DK and Lockett had 51 combined. Geno had less than 200 yards and his 2nd lowest passer rating of the season.

There is lot's to like about this defense if we keep Allen and Murphy (which I believe we will).

It's such a young defense largely. Much promise on that side of the ball.

And give Vance some credit. He get's a lot of criticism at times. Much of it unwarranted. He's done a very good job on that side of the ball.

Reaction score
Agreed.

Defense is doing it's job; holding teams to 20 points or less the last 4 games; and appears to be improving! Seattle was scoring 25+ PPG; held to 20 yesterday! Last four games 20 or less points scored by the opponents; that is pretty much regarded as the over/under for a win in the NFL; i.e.- score more than 20/hold opponent under 20.
Those same four games the offense has averaged 16 PPG.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At least this side of the ball is performing a little bit better each week and we are seeing young players improving and making plays. Even Marco Wilson had a pretty good game yesterday.

Yup literally hard to complain with how this side of the ball has been playing since the KC game.

LA Redbird

All Star
Reaction score
Vance is clearly the best coach on this staff. And I don't mean that in a backhanded way either. He was given scraps while Keim moved mountains (in his mind) for the offense. And six games in, the defense is keeping the team within striking distance (except for KC).

In 5 games:

Points scored = 93

Points allowed = 98

But, it's worse than that. We have one defensive score (LV) and one ST score (SEA).

The offense is averaging 16.2 ppg.

The defense is holding to 19.4 ppg (I did not subtract opposing TO scores because I don't recall). Not bad, but ESPECIALLY not bad given they are fighting with an albatross of an offense hung around their neck.

With a "generational" talent and a "revolutionary" offensive mind, I think we should be able to EXPECT more than 16.2 ppg.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Yup literally hard to complain with how this side of the ball has been playing since the KC game.
Let's not forget how record-breaking bad the defense was to open the first three games; they just managed to tighten it up at halftime in games 2 and 3.

But, yeah, this D has been way better than I thought it would be. The effing O needs to show up.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
VJ has taken a noname bunch of CBs except for Murph and has them playing at a decent level.
Metcalf and Lockett have torched almost every team they have played deep. I was pleasantly surprised by how little of a factor each one was yesterday. Smith had to mostly rely on 3rd and 4th WRs, TEs and backs.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave