Let's all remember that Suggs...

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Is coming into his draft after his junior season. He will get bigger and stronger and will grow more playing in the NFL this year.

His bench will get better...:D

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Originally posted by RonF
In other words he's a project?

Actually, I think it means that he's good now, but he's only going to get better. A lot of draftees on the D-Line get by on being stronger, faster, etc. than the rest of their competition in the college level, and come out "raw", and need to be taught finesse moves to make the leap into the pro game. With Suggs, it seems that he has the finesse, and will continue to grow into his "grownup" body and get stronger and faster of the length of his contract, while still being the excellent technical player he is now.

No one who sets the NCAA single-season sack record the prior year is a project.

OP
OP
Krangodnzr

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Originally posted by RonF
In other words he's a project?

Not really. He is a guy who needs to get bigger/stronger, but he will contribute right away.

He is only 20, almost 21.

PortlandCardFan

Reaction score
Just outta curiosity..... who whas the youngest player to play in the NFL all time or since the the first Super Bowl.

I am asking and I do not know.

Mike

OP
OP
Krangodnzr

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Originally posted by PortlandCardFan
Just outta curiosity..... who whas the youngest player to play in the NFL all time or since the the first Super Bowl.

I am asking and I do not know.

Mike

Actually it was either that center that San Diego had in the mid 90s or Eric Swann (who was 19).

The funny thing about Swann is that he retired at a very young age, but played for almost a decade!

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
The CBA states that you can't declare for the draft unless, basically, you've been in college for two years (I forget how this works. It has something to do with your graduating high school class...). Mike Vick declared at the youngest possible age, I think, after a red-shirt year at Va-Tech and then his freshman year, right?

Maurice Clarett wanted to declare after last season, but couldn't because he's a true freshman. You have to wait until two years, so the age has to be 20, right?

OP
OP
Krangodnzr

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Originally posted by Krangthebrain
Actually it was either that center that San Diego had in the mid 90s or Eric Swann (who was 19).

The funny thing about Swann is that he retired at a very young age, but played for almost a decade!

Center Courtney Hall....

OP
OP
Krangodnzr

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Originally posted by kerouac9
The CBA states that you can't declare for the draft unless, basically, you've been in college for two years (I forget how this works. It has something to do with your graduating high school class...). Mike Vick declared at the youngest possible age, I think, after a red-shirt year at Va-Tech and then his freshman year, right?

Maurice Clarett wanted to declare after last season, but couldn't because he's a true freshman. You have to wait until two years, so the age has to be 20, right?

Well Eric Swann, who didn't go to college entered the league in 91 at the age of 19. The legal precedent was set by the NBA and Baseball....a player can sue the NFL to get in and will win.

OP
OP
Krangodnzr

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

Earlier in the year, there was reports that Clarett was going to sue the NFL to get in the draft, and many who followed that story agreed that he would have won.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Earlier in the year, there was reports that Clarett was going to sue the NFL to get in the draft, and many who followed that story agreed that he would have won.

Yeah, I read all those stories, too. He would have won, but the general consensus, a decade after Swannie, seemed to have been why would you want to get into a club that obviously doesn't want you.

The NFLPA are no fools. They know that the more young players that come in, the more older vets get forced out, and they see no reason to become the NBA, with 18 year olds coming in year in, year out, and I don't think that's good for the NFL, anyway. I kind of like having 37 year old O-Linemen and such.

OP
OP
Krangodnzr

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Yeah, I read all those stories, too. He would have won, but the general consensus, a decade after Swannie, seemed to have been why would you want to get into a club that obviously doesn't want you.

The NFLPA are no fools. They know that the more young players that come in, the more older vets get forced out, and they see no reason to become the NBA, with 18 year olds coming in year in, year out, and I don't think that's good for the NFL, anyway. I kind of like having 37 year old O-Linemen and such.

I totally agree!

Eric was a freak of nature, and he was selected so high because of it. I'm not sure if Clarett is as good as advertised.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I'm not sure if Clarett is as good as advertised.

I guess we'll know at the end of the 2003 season. I think this guy has "Ron Dayne" written all over him...

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
See, the NFL is far different than baseball or basketball. How many high school kids could even make a roster on an NFL team? Probably none whatsoever. Granted, baseball players get to go to the minor leagues, which helps them develop. Basketball players like Garnett and Stoudamire can step right in, develop as they go, or they can bust. Football players really need that time in college not just to mature, but learn how to play at a higher level. Most of these kids don't even know the necessary verbage of the dictionary-thick playbooks they're going to need, much less have their talent developed well enough to compete in the NFL.

OP
OP
Krangodnzr

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Originally posted by Stout
See, the NFL is far different than baseball or basketball. How many high school kids could even make a roster on an NFL team? Probably none whatsoever. Granted, baseball players get to go to the minor leagues, which helps them develop. Basketball players like Garnett and Stoudamire can step right in, develop as they go, or they can bust. Football players really need that time in college not just to mature, but learn how to play at a higher level. Most of these kids don't even know the necessary verbage of the dictionary-thick playbooks they're going to need, much less have their talent developed well enough to compete in the NFL.

Totally agree.

Even Swann took a few years to realize his enomorous potential.

by-the-way: It's Amare StoudEmire, not StoudAmire, though it is pronounced exactly the same! :D

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn