Leinart/Young

Assface

Like a boss
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Texas wins the Rose Bowl and Young declares, anyone think he might go before Leinart? It's probably an early smoke screen but there seems to be a lot less Leinart love and he's starting to recieve more criticism. Bush is starting to get more of the credit for USC's success. Leinart already has the polish but Young and the physical potential to be something special. 2 polar opposites, it'll be interesting to see where each stands in April.

Me, I'd still take Leinart. What's everyone else's thoughts?

dogpoo32

meh
Reaction score
Leinart in a heartbeat. He has less to prove and at this point seems more suited to play QB in the NFL than Young.

OP
OP
Assface

Assface

Like a boss
Supporting Member
Reaction score
clif said:
God I wish Leinart get over looked.. drop... drop like a rock!

To be honest I'm kind of hoping for that. I'd rather draft a guy who's stock falls at the combine than one who rises.

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
As to your original question. I could really see a situation where Young got drafted before Leinart. I don't think that is a stretch. I wouldn't do it simply because our offense seems to be based of timing and structure. While a player like Young would offer the chance for big plays with his legs, I think it would hurt our offensive gameplan which is to get the ball in the hands of our playmakers Fitz and Q. I know it seems crazy to say, but I really don't think his style is what we would be looking for.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Vince wouldn't be a bad consolation prize. He really proved he can play QB. As a matter of fact he reminds me of a bigger Vick.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why all the Polish references Leinart isn't Polish is he? :D

dogpoo32

meh
Reaction score
CardShark said:
Would it be out of the realm to think the 49er's could take Leinart? Alex Smith hasn't really shown much.

I think the money they have promised Smith dictates a commitment to him.

CardinalLaw

Reaction score
dogpoo32 said:
I think the money they have promised Smith dictates a commitment to him.
Imagine that 2, 60 million dollar QB's on the same roster. I think they would in a heartbeat if they could trade Smith to somenone.

nurnay

whatever
Reaction score
Assface said:
If Texas wins the Rose Bowl and Young declares, anyone think he might go before Leinart? It's probably an early smoke screen but there seems to be a lot less Leinart love and he's starting to recieve more criticism. Bush is starting to get more of the credit for USC's success. Leinart already has the polish but Young and the physical potential to be something special. 2 polar opposites, it'll be interesting to see where each stands in April.

Me, I'd still take Leinart. What's everyone else's thoughts?

I think Leinert would have to have a horrible combine/workout to slide below Young. Scouts love the kid and he seems to be more prepared for the NFL game than any other QB in the draft.

nurnay

whatever
Reaction score
CardinalLaw said:
Imagine that 2, 60 million dollar QB's on the same roster. I think they would in a heartbeat if they could trade Smith to somenone.

Who the hell would want Smith? I honestly feel bad for SF, getting the #1 pick in one of the worst QB drafts in recent history. Smith will never be a top tier NFL QB, but he will be paid like one for at least a few years.

CardShark

DEAL WITH IT!
Reaction score
nurnay said:
Who the hell would want Smith? I honestly feel bad for SF, getting the #1 pick in one of the worst QB drafts in recent history. Smith will never be a top tier NFL QB, but he will be paid like one for at least a few years.

Alex Smith
As expected, Smith's deal is the richest ever for an NFL rookie. He will make slightly less than $50 million over six years, $24 million of which is guaranteed. If he hits all of his incentives and bonuses, the deal would be worth $57 million.
2005 500000.00
2006 1050000.00
2007 1675000.00
2008 2300000.00
2009 2925000.00
2010 4750000.00
2011 5000000.00

If they backload a deal for Lienart, they could force Smith to restructure or cut him if they can't trade him. They have to know he's not worth $50 million over six years. They'll still have to pay him the remainder of the $24 million gauranteed money but they'll save $25 million.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
nurnay said:
I think Leinert would have to have a horrible combine/workout to slide below Young. Scouts love the kid and he seems to be more prepared for the NFL game than any other QB in the draft.
I've heard Leinart is surprisingly a very good athlete. Great in the weight room and is pretty quick. It doesn't show on the field perhaps because of the freakish athletes around him, but you have to be somewhat athletic to play at USC this decade.

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
All draft experts that I have read have Leinart ahead of Young. Leinart is rated in the top 3 while Young is expected to go in the 10 - 12 range.

JasonKGME

I'm a uncle's monkey??
Reaction score
Leinart/Young could easily be the Smith/Rodgers of this year. Rodgers/Leinart being the better QB option but dropping way down due to the pre-draft hype of Smith/Young.

Leinart could easily fall to the 6-10 range if Young declares.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lienart.

But, there's no way he falls past 5, IMO. Look at who could be drafting there: HOU, SF, NYJ, NO, TEN, BUF, DET, BAL, OAK.

Who doesn't need a QB of these teams? HOU, SF for sure. But then there's only OAK and NYJ that might not take a QB (Walter, Pennington). That leaves 5 teams that would snatch up either Lienart or Young in a heartbeat. And, there are other teams that might trade up to get one of them.

The lesson to be learned here is that a QB might be important to your franchise because it seems there are a lot of teams picking near the top of the draft that seem to need one.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pariah said:
The lesson to be learned here is that a QB might be important to your franchise because it seems there are a lot of teams picking near the top of the draft that seem to need one.

The problem is that rule that says if you draft a franchise QB you're not allowed to address your offensive and defensive line as well.

Makes it a lot harder to build a team.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
The problem is that rule that says if you draft a franchise QB you're not allowed to address your offensive and defensive line as well.
Ah, yes. Subsection B of Section 12.7. You are well versed, grasshoppah.

Red Air Force

DILLIGAFF
Reaction score
Carr & Harrington
Palmer & Leftwich :barf:
Manning & Rothlisberger :barf:
Smith & Rodgers

It's the same every year. Do you take the QB with the most polish, or the one with the higher pysical potential?

Obviously the teams take what is percieved as the "more" sure thing.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Red Air Force said:
Carr & Harrington
Palmer & Leftwich :barf:
Manning & Rothlisberger :barf:
Smith & Rodgers

It's the same every year. Do you take the QB with the most polish, or the one with the higher pysical potential?

Obviously the teams take what is percieved as the "more" sure thing.

i don't know if i agree with you there.

i think carr was the potential and harrington the more polished in their draft and same with smith being more potential and rodgers being more polish in their draft. as for palmer and leftwich, i think palmer was considered more potential AND more polish. the only draft where polish seemed to be selected over potential was manning over rothlisberger.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monti Ossentfort